Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

15 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

It does add one into his usual check boxes of horrible decisions.

What was horrible about his decision to trade Scandella to Montreal for a 4th? That he should have waited 6 weeks for a team made desperate because they lost their Dman for the year due to a cardiac event on the bench during a game? St. Louis overpaid Montreal because they had to in order to acquire what they were looking for plus Montreal retained the maximum 50% salary to get it done; something JBotts didn’t have the luxury of at the time. Good for Montreal. 

Nobody, NOBODY, was gonna offer up a 2nd for Scandella other than the Blues in an emergency situation. I can’t add that to the list of legitimate JBotts mistakes. I get why others may want to, but like I said, whatever floats your boat. 

Edited by K-9

On 2/25/2020 at 8:52 AM, JohnC said:

Andrew Fillipponi from 93.7Fan in Pitts was on WGR talking about the Pittsburgh/Buffalo deal. He provided more information on Kahun. He pointed out that Rutherford who is one of the better GMs in the game had a higher view on Rodriques than Botterill did, a personnel man who worked under Rutherford. This is a 16 min segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-25-andrew-fillipponi-from-937-the-fan-in-pittsburgh-on-dominik-kahun

Speculation: On WGR's morning show Jeremy White noted that the Sabres tried to make a deal with Florida in order to get Trocheck. He pointed out that sources inside the organization were claiming their offer was higher than Carolina's. A factor may have been that Florida didn't want to trade within the conference. 

I am pretty sure this guy had some of the Sabres trades before anyone else (or at least he posted them to twitter before anyone else did), so I’d think he has a Sabres source of some type. 

Edited by BillsFan4

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

How can anyone be surprised that Tallon wouldn’t trade within the division to a team playing to catch them in the standings? Imagine if we got Trocheck, he suddenly found his game again, and was instrumental in helping us get past Florida. Tallon would never live it down. Good in JBotts for making the effort, but I don’t blame Tallon a-tall, as Rob Ray would say. 

On another note, Carter Spazgoalie is between the pipes tonight. We will be lucky if Colorado scores less than 6.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/02/26/simmonds-relishes-opportunity-to-help-sabres-playoff-push/

It took Wayne Simmonds no more than five minutes into his first Sabres practice to show how much he appreciated being in Buffalo.

Upon skating a few laps and taking a couple of shots, Simmonds found himself next to coach Ralph Krueger when the two shared a laugh.

Given how he and the talent-laden New Jersey Devils failed to come close to meeting expectations through the first five months of the season, the 31-year-old Simmonds felt good to be back in the playoff hunt – however slim the Sabres’ chances might appear.

”Obviously things didn’t go the way I planned and as the Devils planned,” Simmonds said Tuesday, a day after being acquired by Buffalo.

”I don’t regret signing there one bit,” he added, referring to the one-year, $5 million contract he signed with the Devils last summer. ”But at the same time, I wanted an opportunity to be in the hunt for the playoffs, to play those competitive games. And this was a perfect opportunity for me.”

He’s got an excellent spirit, brings good experience with him, loves to do things that we need more of with net pressure,” Krueger said. ”But above all, also the voice in the room he’ll be. He was already engaged today as if he’s been here a long time.”

Captain Jack Eichel welcomed the reinforcements as a sign of management’s faith in the team.

”I think the two additions sends a message to the room they believe in us as a group now,” Eichel said. ”I think it sends a message to the room we’re trying to go for this right now.”

He was so eager to come to Buffalo, which is closer to his family’s offseason home in Toronto, that Simmonds waived his no-trade clause to allow the deal to go through.

”It’s all in pursuit of the Cup. That’s my goal. I want to come here and I want to be a good piece of the team,” he said. ”I think they’re going in the right direction.”

The trade also presents Simmonds a chance to prove he’s worthy of being signed to a contract this summer, be it in Buffalo or elsewhere.

”Obviously, I’m not going to be the savior or anything here, but just another piece to help the boys out. That’s something I relish,” Simmonds said. ”I’ve always been a competitor my whole career. And this kind of stuff brings the best out of me.”

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

How can anyone be surprised that Tallon wouldn’t trade within the division to a team playing to catch them in the standings? Imagine if we got Trocheck, he suddenly found his game again, and was instrumental in helping us get past Florida. Tallon would never live it down. Good in JBotts for making the effort, but I don’t blame Tallon a-tall, as Rob Ray would say. 

On another not, Carter Spazgoalie between the pipes tonight. We will be lucky if Colorado scores less than 6.

I wonder if there’s a chance we can get him from Carolina in the summer. I read a rumor that they almost flipped him for a defenseman right after trading for him. 

Now they obviously picked up Brady Skjei so they may not be looking for a dman anymore. But you never know with Carolina. They don’t have an issue trading guys they just acquired. 

Who knows though, maybe there will be a better option in the summer.

I’m curious to see how Trochek plays in Carolina. He’s been trending in the wrong direction for a couple years now. Will the move getting back to the player he once was, or is it one of those “he is what he is” things? He’s a bit of a hard one to peg.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am pretty sure this guy had some of the Sabres trades before anyone else (or at least he posted them to twitter before anyone else did), so I’d think he has a Sabres source of some type. 

From what was speculated on WGR Risto was being offered maybe on that deal or other deals. I can't say for sure if that it is true or not. But what I find encouraging is that the GM was willing to make a major move to address a major deficit at the second center spot. I still believe that the offseason will be the most propitious time to make a substantial deal because of our positive cap situation. 

Many people have criticized Botterill for not being aggressive in proposing and making deals. That's an unfair characterization. Many analysts have noted that Botterill has been very active all season long in seeking trades but trade partners have been hard to come by. 

2 hours ago, thebug said:

That was a beauty. Nylander was a stud last night. Not just for the goal, but he had jump, he was physical and won almost every puck battle including the effort to win the puck and get it to Tavares on his goal.  Needs to keep it up!

Too bad some of the energy that the older brother has couldn't be transferred to the younger brother in Chicago. Needless to say the brothers have very different on ice personalities. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-25-dominik-kahun-conference-call

Conference call with Dominic Kahun. Just past 2 mins he was asked if he’s more comfortable as a center or winger. He said he’s always played center his entire hockey career up until the NHL, where he was asked to play wing. But said he is most comfortable as a center. 

Im sure he will eventually get a shot at playing center in Buffalo.

Sounds like Krueger will start him on the wing until he’s comfortable in the system. 

Edit - here’s an article with quotes from this interview -

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-kahun-didnt-expect-to-be-on-his-third-nhl-team

Edited by BillsFan4

More quotes on Simmonds from Sabres players -

https://theathletic.com/1635415/2020/02/25/sabres-look-to-wayne-simmonds-for-leadership-heading-into-meaningful-march-games/ (sub. req.)

“You know where he is when they have the puck because he’s always such a great net front presence. Then when you don’t have it, you know he’s got that physical presence that it makes it a real tough night on us D-men,” defenseman Jake McCabe said. “But it’s not easy going back for pucks — you’re always looking over your shoulder. It’s such a huge, huge add for us. He provides such a physical presence and, not only all that, but he’s played so long in this league. And he’s been such a high-end power forward for so long that he’s played in playoff games, he’s played in these meaningful games and that’s going to be huge for us down the stretch just with his leadership.”

I hope my style of leadership, my style of play — that all meshes well here,” Simmonds said at KeyBank Center on Tuesday. “I’m a vocal guy and if I’m not happy, I’ll say something. But you’ve kind of got to pick your spots too this time of year, right? You want everyone to be known in the room.”

The Sabres’ team theme this year has been “Play Connected,” a philosophy that Simmonds subscribes to already.

“I think teams that have had success that I’ve been on, it’s an ‘all-for-one, one-for-all’ mentality, right,” Simmonds said. “You go into the game and it’s a five-man pack everywhere you go and not only does that show on the ice but off the ice as well. So I think it’s huge — if you’re going to go grab a beer or go out to dinner, you want the majority of the guys to be doing that off the ice and on the ice.”

IMO the bolded that is something the Sabres need more of. It has been an issue here over the last # of years. We need more veteran players that are willing to hold their teammates accountable in the locker room. Guys who aren’t scared to call someone out if they’re dogging it. 

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

From what was speculated on WGR Risto was being offered maybe on that deal or other deals. I can't say for sure if that it is true or not. But what I find encouraging is that the GM was willing to make a major move to address a major deficit at the second center spot. I still believe that the offseason will be the most propitious time to make a substantial deal because of our positive cap situation. 

Risto for Trocheck would have been abominable. I’m happy that didn’t happen.