Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

I can't wait for the day that Hutton is off this team.  I'd love to see the language in Mike Bales contract because it's blatantly obvious that the broadcast has some contractual obligation to show him each game while Rob Ray showers him with praise.  Last night it was talk about how he's done good work with the goalies.  Meanwhile Hutton is having by far the worst season of his career, great work indeed. 

This organization had such a great run in net, but we've now been stuck in goalie purgatory for 6 years.  Luukkonen better deliver because the franchise and the fanbase needs it so badly.  Even then, we're still up around 10 years of purgatory before he's ready.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

@BillsFan4, best comment i saw to that paper slam  tweet this morning was something along the lines..found it "'That looked staged. Like he hesitated to trade the papers to the floor. "

He seems like a decent guy and it is not an enjoyable set of videos.  I find them sad, like someone watching the inevitable.  It's sad.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

He seems like a decent guy and it is not an enjoyable set of videos.  I find them sad, like someone watching the inevitable.  It's sad.

Don't find them sad at all. You sign up for that job, with that salary, you deserve public scrutiny. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I just hope he doesn’t make a stupid desperation/panic trade. 

well, he has shown no indication of doing that...and with this loss last night he has to know the last of even the most optimistic of fans have officially given up on the playoffs..in some ways takes the pressure way off him to try something.Could you imagine if they were 4 points out on Sunday?

Rest of the season meant zero to me 10 days ago, think now that bandwagon is full. If you can get something for the rentals, god bless. If not, wait till the draft and the cap woes kick in

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Don't find them sad at all. You sign up for that job, with that salary, you deserve public scrutiny. 

well, he has shown no indication of doing that...and with this loss last night he has to know the last of even the most optimistic of fans have officially given up on the playoffs..in some ways takes the pressure way off him to try something.Could you imagine if they were 4 points out on Sunday?

Rest of the season meant zero to me 10 days ago, think now that bandwagon is full. If you can get something for the rentals, god bless. If not, wait till the draft and the cap woes kick in

I find filming him when he doesn't know he is being filmed as.....maybe not over the line....but in bad taste.  He just isn't good at his job.  Yes he makes a good salary and yes he will be scrutinized but as a fan of the team I have no need to watch him circle the drain.

I honestly hope Pegula tells him not to make any trades before the deadline and just lets the new GM deal with it all later.  Bots' versions of top forwards have so far turned out to be borderline NHL players and ultra replaceable.  If we're going to lose a good D man, I'd rather get a forward that the new GM values.

• Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/1617602/2020/02/18/lebrun-interest-in-trocheck-canucks-still-shopping-and-kovalchuks-market/?amp#click=https://t.co/zRJ20gI0An (subscription required)

Top-six centres that are under contract so rarely move in-season, which is why I find it intriguing to hear Vincent Trocheck’s name out there these days.

Let me be clear: I do not believe the Florida Panthers are shopping Trocheck.

But sources do confirm that teams have called asking about him recently.

And if you’re Florida, given the Panthers’ obvious need for a top-four defenceman, you have no choice but to listen.

Trocheck’s production has been down the last two seasons, so there’s that. But he’s 26 and on a very good contract which carries a $4.75 million cap hit for two more years after this season.

The Panthers have no problem scoring goals and have forwards in their system ready to make the jump.

If a team makes an offer featuring a bona fide top-four blueliner who is signed past this year, I think Panthers GM Dale Tallon has no choice but to at least consider it.

I hear the Sabres are among several teams who have shown interest in Trocheck, which of course would make sense as Buffalo has made trading for a top-six forward signed past this year a priority. It wouldn’t surprise me if Arizona reaches out (if they haven’t already) given the Coyotes’ need for a centre.

As one GM put it to me Tuesday, who wouldn’t have interest in Trocheck?

I don’t think it’s very likely that Trocheck gets dealt, I think Florida still very much likes the player, but the fact teams are calling and having those conversations with the Panthers is always the kind of information you file away if not because of Monday’s trade deadline then perhaps in the offseason.

It sounds like Florida wants a top 4 left handed defenseman for Trochek. If they needed s top 4 RD buffalo would be a great match, but I’m not sure we have a LD that holds the type of value Trochek does, outside of Dahlin who’s obviously a non-starter.

Unless they wanted McCabe or Pilut + (something of substance, I’m sure). 

Edited by BillsFan4

My guess would be for Kapanen. Botterill was in Pittsburgh when he was drafted. 

Personally, I’d be pissed if all they got back was Kapanen for Ristolainen. It’s not enough. Kapanen has one 20 goal, 40pt season. This year he’s at 11g and 32pts.

Risto puts up the same amount of points from the blue line. 

I guess I shouldn’t get mad about a return I’m purely speculating about though. lol 

Risto for Kadri would have been the trade to make with the leafs.

Edited by BillsFan4

44 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

My guess would be for Kapanen. Botterill was in Pittsburgh when he was drafted. 

Personally, I’d be pissed if all they got back was Kapanen for Ristolainen. It’s not enough. Kapanen has one 20 goal, 40pt season. This year he’s at 11g and 32pts.

Risto puts up the same amount of points from the blue line. 

I guess I shouldn’t get mad about a return I’m purely speculating about though. lol 

Risto for Kadri would have been the trade to make with the leafs.

If he has to be traded, it has to be to a team outside our division. Period. 

I like Kapanen’s game a lot, but he’s not a top six forward, imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Skinner usage 

Attached is a link with Krueger on WGR addressing the Skinner issue. To summarize it Krueger is not willing to tamper with what he considers one of the top five lines with the Jack-Reinhart-Olofsson line. The solution with the Skinner malaise is to get him better players to play with in order to put him in a better position to succeed. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-20-sabres-head-coach-ralph-krueger

The discussion about the playoffs with respect to the Sabres needs to be put in perspective. The reality is that the Sabres are not a playoff caliber team. They have the ability to compete for a bottom end playoff position but when their roster is matched with the other competing teams it has too many deficiencies to match the teams above us. 

The Sabres lost a gruesome game to Ottawa. The goaltending and loose play were evident. For some reason (goaltending) this matchup is difficult for the Sabres while Toronto, a much better team, is less troublesome. In the prior game the Sabres dominated a better team while were dominated by an inferior team in the next game. Problematic matchups occur in all sports. 

What I don't want to see is a trade made out of desperation resulting in getting less in a return that we should have gotten if we waited for the offseason. I'm not against making a deal that will better balance the roster (second line player for defenseman) prior to the trade deadline but my belief is that a better deal can be secured after the season. 

@JohnC, did they ask then why no PP or OT usage? Not on the ice 6-5? I can buy the top line answer..be interesting if he addressed the other situations.

And like i said few posts back, the loss in Ottawa really should have even the most optimistic of folks, whether they be fans, Management, or Owners realistic about this season now, which should take the pressure off making a substantial trade at the deadline. Rentals, fire away! Get as many picks as ya can! To bad you cant acquired picks in Offer Sheets, cause we need a 3rd desperately.