Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Hope this doesn’t take Winnipeg out of the market for a RHD. It shouldn’t. DeMelo is more of a 2nd/3rd pairing RD.

Any major trades are likely to happen in the summer anyway, especially if Buffalo wants a good NHL forward in return. Not many teams are looking to subtract from their NHL rosters at the deadline and I don’t want Botterill settling for draft picks if he’s trading a player like Risto or Montour. 

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The luck dropped in November or December.

Didn't he announce his retirement after a preseason game in August?

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Hope this doesn’t take Winnipeg out of the market for a RHD. It shouldn’t. DeMelo is more of a 2nd/3rd pairing RD.

Any major trades are likely to happen in the summer anyway, especially if Buffalo wants a good NHL forward in return. Not many teams are looking to subtract from their NHL rosters at the deadline and I don’t want Botterill settling for draft picks if he’s trading a player like Risto or Montour. 

It depends, there are some wondering if Winnipeg or Vegas could trade one of their top 6 forwards for an upgrade on defence. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ouch. 

My guess is they get the 4th round pick if Scandella re-signs.  That seems to be the typical conditional deal.  But yeah, ouch.  Botterill got a 4th for him and now Montreal got a 2nd (and possibly a 4th too).  Clearly he could have done better.

But at the same time, it does give a little hope that the price for rentals is higher this year... Now if only we had more than one or two attractive rentals.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ouch. 

Not too much of an ouch from me. That deal doesn’t happen without the Bouwmeester tragedy and the desperation it caused for the Blues. It’s no reflection on JBotts and the Sabres at all.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Not too much of an ouch from me. That deal doesn’t happen without the Bouwmeester tragedy and the desperation it caused for the Blues. It’s no reflection on JBotts and the Sabres at all.

Just saw this too -

That also helps explain the better return.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm still not crazy about it from the Sabre point of view.  But from Montreal's point of view, it's a great move.  They're already in the bottom 3rd of the league in terms of total cap hit and absorbed just shy of 40% of Scandella's total contract* for the year and improved a draft pick by about 40 picks or so.  That's an easy move for a franchise that can print money at will.

And I'm not going to factor in Bouwmeester.  They were going to get a similar return from someone over the next few days if St. Louis didn't come knocking.

*He was there for ~25% of the year and then they take on half of his money for the remaining 25% of the year.

Edited by shrader

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

how embarrassing for Jason Botterill.

Do you think St. Louis or anyone else in the league offers up 2nd for Scandella six weeks ago? And Botterill has to retain half the salary? For a rental who’s a free agent at the end of the year? 

St. Louis was desperate after what happened last week. And this deal reeks of a desperation move.

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

how embarrassing for Jason Botterill.

I would not say embaraasing, and you know I am as down on Bots as they come. I agree the heart Boumeester situation prolly played big, as did the salary retention.

Having said that, Bots overplayed his hand with D Men this year, everyone in the league knows he needs to move em, so his return will just be less...same as it will be in the summer until he moves some assets 

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm still not crazy about it from the Sabre point of view.  But from Montreal's point of view, it's a great move.  They're already in the bottom 3rd of the league in terms of total cap hit and absorbed just shy of 40% of Scandella's total contract* for the year and improved a draft pick by about 40 picks or so.  That's an easy move for a franchise that can print money at will.

And I'm not going to factor in Bouwmeester.  They were going to get a similar return from someone over the next few days if St. Louis didn't come knocking.

*He was there for ~25% of the year and then they take on half of his money for the remaining 25% of the year.

Well, that’s convenient. 

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I would not say embaraasing, and you know I am as down on Bots as they come. I agree the heart Boumeester situation prolly played big, as did the salary retention.

Having said that, Bots overplayed his hand with D Men this year, everyone in the league knows he needs to move em, so his return will just be less...same as it will be in the summer until he moves some assets 

Is that really the case anymore though, with Scandella and Bogosian gone?

Iirc They are now down to 6 NHL defenseman on their roster, with John Gilmour serving the role of healthy scratch #7. 

Im sure they eventually want to make a full time spot for Pilut, but every team has NHL prospects in their farm system. I refuse to take that as an excuse for Botterill to get worked in a trade.

There’s no reason Botterill shouldn’t be able to get proper value in a trade now, otherwise there’s no real reason to make the trade. All the UFA d men are gone.

Same goes for the summer. The only prospect really pounding on the door is Pilut. They don’t have to trade a defenseman if they’re not getting the return they want.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Is that really the case anymore though, with Scandella and Bogosian gone?

Iirc They are now down to 6 NHL defenseman on their roster, with John Gilmour serving the role of healthy scratch #7. 

Im sure they eventually want to make a full time spot for Pilut, but every team has NHL prospects in their farm system. I refuse to take that as an excuse for Botterill to get worked in a trade.

There’s no reason Botterill shouldn’t be able to get proper value in a trade now, otherwise there’s no real reason to make the trade. All the UFA d men are gone.

Same goes for the summer. The only prospect really pounding on the door is Pilut. They don’t have to trade a defenseman if they’re not getting the return they want.

well, you have Borgen,  Pilut, and Nelson all  still in the system, plus a few to many RHS.. but I get your point. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Right. 

Any other impossible to prove scenarios you want to toss out while we’re at it? 

Two teams trading for him over the course of the season suggests that there is a market for his services.  So yeah, it probably is the best offer that they could find as of today, but the thought that there was no other offer out there at all is just as impossible to prove as my stance.  At this point, I'm very comfortable in the assumption that whatever Montreal got, it was going to be more than they gave up.

And yeah, they took on money, but that's essentially nothing to them.  They're in the bottom 3rd of the league in total cap hit and the franchise can print money at will.  They wrote a check for around $1.5 million and improved a draft pick.  The rich teams will take that any day.

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, you have Borgen,  Pilut, and Nelson all  still in the system, plus a few to many RHS.. but I get your point. 

I get the impression Nelson isn't in the plans anymore.  He's a UFA at the end of the year and hasn't sniffed the NHL this year.  Both sides will be moving on come July.

• Like (+1) 1

The sabres arent a budget team.  They have retained salary in the past.  They brought on hunwick to do pittsburgh a favor.  No problem bringing on frolik's salary when the same contribution could be found from sabertooth.  

The ability to eat 10 games of scandella's salary isnt an advantage montreal holds over the sabres

Just now, May Day 10 said:

The sabres arent a budget team.  They have retained salary in the past.  They brought on hunwick to do pittsburgh a favor.  No problem bringing on frolik's salary when the same contribution could be found from sabertooth.  

The ability to eat 10 games of scandella's salary isnt an advantage montreal holds over the sabres

The Sabres are at the cap and Montreal is in the bottom 3rd in the league.  So yes, Montreal does have a greater ability to retain money.