Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I heard he didn’t report to Rochester. Figured this was coming. I believe now he doesn’t get paid until he reports. 

Doesn’t he make something like 21K per day? That’s a lot of scratch even for a rich man to ignore. 

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I heard he didn’t report to Rochester. Figured this was coming. I believe now he doesn’t get paid until he reports. 

See, if BOTS would just listen to the fans, this would have been a done in November! 

looks like they can agree to some kind of agreement to terminate his contract? Give him $500k to go away for good  

59 minutes ago, snafu said:

Maybe he’s trying to report, but he just doesn’t move fast enough.

Couldn't the Sabres have worked out a buyout for him? I'm sure the organization knew that he wasn't willing to go down to the AHL. So why not accommodate him a little with a negotiated settlement. It's understood that the franchise had the leverage over the player but he was a well respected player who was on the last year of is contract. Why play hardball when a mutual settlement could have been worked out without any lingering rancor? 

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Couldn't the Sabres have worked out a buyout for him? I'm sure the organization knew that he wasn't willing to go down to the AHL. So why not accommodate him a little with a negotiated settlement. It's understood that the franchise had the leverage over the player but he was a well respected player who was on the last year of is contract. Why play hardball when a mutual settlement could have been worked out without any lingering rancor? 

How can you be sure they didn't try?   Takes two to tango. 

Don't forget he's the one who fired the first shot with the ridiculous trade demand, when he could barely move on the ice.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GG said:

How can you be sure they didn't try?   Takes two to tango. 

Don't forget he's the one who fired the first shot with the ridiculous trade demand, when he could barely move on the ice.  

Because he decided not to report he will not get paid. It's indisputable that the organization has the leverage. Why play hardball for a player who will be off the books at the end of the season? Botterill has a history/policy of not absorbing a contract for a player even if he is not wanted. Why not be a little more flexible for this player who has endured a lot of injuries and worked hard to rehab and get back on the ice?

I realize that Bogo publicly exhibited his frustration by being shelved for many games. So what! He is a well respected veteran on the team whose roll had been severely diminished. It's understandable why his pride would be wounded. Sometimes doing the right thing goes beyond doing the right business tactic.

Edited by JohnC

https://theathletic.com/1614919/2020/02/17/i-wasnt-really-playing-and-thats-what-you-want-to-be-doing-evan-rodrigues-explains-his-previous-trade-request/

Bogosian, waived by the Sabres on Friday and assigned to Rochester on Saturday, has declined to join the American Hockey League team. The Sabres suspended him Monday for failure to report.

“We are aware of the notice of suspension and will not be providing a comment at this time,” Bogosian’s agent, Darren Ferris, said via text message.

The suspension removes Bogosian from the Sabres’ salary chart. Even with his demotion, he was still counting $4.075 million toward Buffalo’s cap through the buried contract clause in the collective bargaining agreement. That total is wiped out, as are Bogosian’s paychecks from his $6 million salary.

The Sabres declined further comment on Bogosian, so the next steps aren’t yet clear. The Sabres can continue to work on a trade. The sides can mutually negotiate a termination, which is what the team did with Patrik Berglund last year. Bogosian can also decide to report or he could sit home until becoming an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Edited by BillsFan4

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Teams can only offer buyouts during the specific buyout window in the summer, after the NHL season concludes. Not sure when the Sabres were supposed to do that anyway, given he was on injured reserve at the end of last season and scheduled for hip surgery. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Teams can only offer buyouts during the specific buyout window in the summer, after the NHL season concludes. Not sure when the Sabres were supposed to do that anyway, given he was on injured reserve at the end of last season and scheduled for hip surgery. 

Couldn't they work out a settlement with him and just absorb the cap hit? If he's playing in Rochester you are still not using his services anyway. 

55 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Because he decided not to report he will not get paid. It's indisputable that the organization has the leverage. Why play hardball for a player who will be off the books at the end of the season? Botterill has a history/policy of not absorbing a contract for a player even if he is not wanted. Why not be a little more flexible for this player who has endured a lot of injuries and worked hard to rehab and get back on the ice?

I realize that Bogo publicly exhibited his frustration by being shelved for many games. So what! He is a well respected veteran on the team whose roll had been severely diminished. It's understandable why his pride would be wounded. Sometimes doing the right thing goes beyond doing the right business tactic.

Without being in the room, it is impossible to tell what is going on.  Either side could be right or wrong.  If Bogo demanded a full payout plus release, what is Bots supposed to do?  He already gave 30 other teams a chance to claim him.  None bit.  If they can't agree on a number, they can't agree on a number.  Bogo is breaking the rules.  Bots isn't.  A negotiaited settlement is probably best but a period of hardball is sometimes needed.

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There are more indications that he's the thorn and not the team.  No NHL team will pick him up at his current contract.  If he wants to play in the NHL, he needs to tear up the contract and agree to smaller pay with a team that may want him.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Couldn't they work out a settlement with him and just absorb the cap hit? If he's playing in Rochester you are still not using his services anyway. 

Pretty sure that would have violated league rules at the time. But now that he’s refused to report and has been suspended, they are free to negotiate a settlement. It all depends on what Bogo wants to do. 

Let’s not forget that he was a legit part of their plans this year and they gave him 10 straight games upon his return to come around and help the team. We all saw he wasn’t capable of that after a few games. 

• Like (+1) 2

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/17/zach-bogosian-nhl-buffalo-sabres-rochester-amerks-news-2020/

Bogosian was reportedly caught off guard by the AHL assignment, even though he was a healthy scratch in eight of the last nine games he was on the Buffalo roster. Two sources told The News that the Massena native flew home to the Thousand Islands region over the weekend, and one said Bogosian had no interest in playing in the AHL.

The Sabres can now negotiate a mutual termination of Bogosian's contract or continue the suspension to keep him off their cap. They also could keep working on a trade in advance of the deadline, although it's unlikely there is much interest in Bogosian at his current cap hit and the Sabres would not be interested in retaining any of his salary to make a deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Will the GM make any deals prior to the trade deadline? Unless it is a deal that will help us next season and after I hope not. The players who are on the last year of their contract and are essentially limited players such as Rodgrigues or Girgs will not fetch much back in return. (One UFA player I want to keep is Larsson.) So why give up a player or two for lower round picks and disrupt the team when the season is winding down?  My recommendation would be to play out this season with them and earn as many points as possible and build on it for the future. It's improbable that the Sabres will make the playoffs. But if they can get on role and earn a dozen points more than from the previous season that will be a positive step. 

I'm not against making a significant deal or two such as trading a player such as Risto or Montour for a second line forward. However, I see the GM having more leverage in making a deal in the offseason when we have more cap space. That's the time to make the bigger deal. 

Below is an article WGR's Brayton Wilson discussing the improved play of Colin Miller. What I really like about him is his ability to shoot and skate and create some offense from the blue line. He exhibited that talent in the Toronto game where he earned two points. This was a good deal executed by GM who many people scorn. Their evaluation of him in my opinion is off the mark.  

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/miller-returning-to-form-with-the-sabres

Edited by JohnC