Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

19 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

8 wins, if I remember correctly?

Without looking it up, it is close to that.  I believe they were like 1-40-1 on the road or something like that

ok, looked it up.  10-70-4.  And they were actually 1-41-0 on the road with a 38 game losing streak in there.

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Without looking it up, it is close to that.  I believe they were like 1-40-1 on the road or something like that

ok, looked it up.  10-70-4.  And they were actually 1-41-0 on the road with a 38 game losing streak in there.

I don't remember what I had for dinner on Monday........seriously. But somehow I remember this.

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

?   ????

BOGO on waivers.

What that means is that for the last several weeks Botterill was trying to orchestrate a trade-deadline deal involving BOGO in exchange for ANYTHING, including the proverbial puck bag.

...and he got not takers of any kind.

And GMTM thought this guy was going to be a cornerstone building piece of the rebuilt club.

LOL....then  COL (That means Cry Out Loud).

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

BOGO on waivers.

What that means is that for the last several weeks Botterill was trying to orchestrate a trade-deadline deal involving BOGO in exchange for ANYTHING, including the proverbial puck bag.

I would have thought you could get at least two puck bags (BOGO) for Bogo...?

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/evan-rodrigues-postgame-21320/t-277437090/c-5252106 (ERod post game)

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jack-eichel-postgame-21320/t-277437090/c-5252210 (Eichel post game)

Sounds like having Olofsson back gave the team some confidence. Hopefully they can start putting some wins together now.

Good to see Skinner looking more like himself. He had a good game. He was playing with that edge we saw last year. If he keeps playing like he did tonight, it’s only a matter of time until he starts scoring., and that could really help the Sabres finish strong if that happens. 

This team gave up a wonderful opportunity to stay in the playoff race with some bad losses in that long home stretch of games. Losing to Ottawa and Anaheim were gut wrenching losses. As I have repeatedly stated I don't believe that this is a playoff team but if you consider the ignominious "what if" factor we should have earned maybe 6 extra points. Those added points could have allowed this team to more meaningfully be in the playoff hunt.

There are many posters who believe that this team and organization need to be torn down. I'm not one of them. With Olofsson back this team has a credible/good first line and a young and emerging defense unit. The biggest need this offseason that needs to be addressed is the second line. If you can't find a legitimate second center then the second line can still be substantially upgraded with another quality forward added to help out Skinner. 

I don't care what the loud and snickering zealots say.  I still strongly believe that the GM needs to stay the course that he has set. In my minority view the trajectory is still up. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This team gave up a wonderful opportunity to stay in the playoff race with some bad losses in that long home stretch of games. Losing to Ottawa and Anaheim were gut wrenching losses. As I have repeatedly stated I don't believe that this is a playoff team but if you consider the ignominious "what if" factor we should have earned maybe 6 extra points. Those added points could have allowed this team to more meaningfully be in the playoff hunt.

There are many posters who believe that this team and organization need to be torn down. I'm not one of them. With Olofsson back this team has a credible/good first line and a young and emerging defense unit. The biggest need this offseason that needs to be addressed is the second line. If you can't find a legitimate second center then the second line can still be substantially upgraded with another quality forward added to help out Skinner. 

I don't care what the loud and snickering zealots say.  I still strongly believe that the GM needs to stay the course that he has set. In my minority view the trajectory is still up. 

the ott, detroit and ducks games were so huge. needed wins.  

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Well, hey.  They have 9 points so far this month with 7 more to play.

They had 9 points in all of November, 12 in December, and 10 points in all of January.  If you want to talk about missed opportunities, you've got a lot more to sift through than Anaheim and Ottawa.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

Well, hey.  They have 9 points so far this month with 7 more to play.

They had 9 points in all of November, 12 in December, and 10 points in all of January.  If you want to talk about missed opportunities, you've got a lot more to sift through than Anaheim and Ottawa.

There are plenty of occasions to apply the "what if" lamentations. But I focused on this homestand because this unusual extended home stretch gave this team that had a good home record an opportunity to get back into the race. As you well know I am open about my assessment that this team as it is currently constructed still lacks enough talent. But I do believe that it was/is good enough to stay in a meaningful playoff race. Sadly, I do believe that we missed that opportunity. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There are plenty of occasions to apply the "what if" lamentations. But I focused on this homestand because this unusual extended home stretch gave this team that had a good home record an opportunity to get back into the race. As you well know I am open about my assessment that this team as it is currently constructed still lacks enough talent. But I do believe that it was/is good enough to stay in a meaningful playoff race. Sadly, I do believe that we missed that opportunity. 

Playoffs went out the window for all intensive purposes in November (9 points).

They can still have the illusion of staying in the playoff race if they win out the rest of February and maybe jump 3 of the 5 teams that stand between them and 8th place. But it is an illusion.

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

Playoffs went out the window for all intensive purposes in November (9 points).

They can still have the illusion of staying in the playoff race if they win out the rest of February and maybe jump 3 of the 5 teams that stand between them and 8th place. But it is an illusion.

Isn't it better to have an illusion than not have one at all? ?

Edited by JohnC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Two dozen pucks? For ERod? That was a nice play last night, but let’s not get carried away here. Take the dozen pucks and be happy. I’m holding firm on those pylons, though.

But is it those tiny cones that they do stick handling drills around or is it the giant ones that little kids lean on when they're learning to skate?

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Now Bogosian is gone, we need those practice pylons more than ever.

I'm willing to back off the second dozen pucks.

Except this doesn't mean that he's gone.  They're probably looking to see if anyone will take him off their hands for free.  If not and he clears, that doesn't mean he's off the roster.  He can, and probably would be kept around.  At that point, they'd be able to drop him off the roster in the upcoming week if they need to open up a spot during the trade deadline.  Yeah, he's gone at the end of the year anyway, but not necessarily today.

I'm wondering if we may see him swapped in about a week for some other stiff who just cleared waivers.  Those type of deals tend to pop up a few times each year.  Why wouldn't that other team just claim him and not give up a thing if they really wanted him?  They don't get to dump dead weight of their own if they do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This is me right now, I don’t care how down on the boys @JohnC gets, I have eternal optimism. 

You are so headstrong and blinded by your zealotry that you have no inkling what my position is on the Sabres, although I have stated it a thousand times. This is not a playoff team. And there is no turning point after this last win because there is no turning point. This roster has some glaring deficiencies that can't be overcome this year. That doesn't mean that this isn't an improved team from the prior lackluster years. I predicted prior to the season that this was an 88 point team. If the Sabres improve their point total by 10 from last year's 76 point total I will be satisfied that the team is moving in the right direction. But the meaningful evaluation isn't about the point total this year as it is how the team plays according to Krueger's system and philosophy. From that standpoint I am very encouraged about their near future prospects. 

What I have repeatedly told you and your snickering compadres is that when Botteril took over there was not going to be a quick fix to this team that needed a major reconstruction that also included an organization that was hollowed out. In my view this current GM has steadily addressed his challenging task without resorting to expedient quick fixes that in the end get you nowhere other than staying on the long road of mediocrity. You need to maintain your composure and trust the process. You may be too frantic to realize it but it is working.

Hopefully my response offers some clarity to some of your misguided perceptions that you seem unable to shake from. ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You are so headstrong and blinded by your zealotry that you have no inkling what my position is on the Sabres, although I have stated it a thousand times. This is not a playoff team. And there is no turning point after this last win because there is no turning point. This roster has some glaring deficiencies that can't be overcome this year. That doesn't mean that this isn't an improved team from the prior lackluster years. I predicted prior to the season that this was an 88 point team. If the Sabres improve their point total by 10 from last year's 76 point total I will be satisfied that the team is moving in the right direction. But the meaningful evaluation isn't about the point total this year as it is how the team plays according to Krueger's system and philosophy. From that standpoint I am very encouraged about their near future prospects. 

What I have repeatedly told you and your snickering compadres is that when Botteril took over there was not going to be a quick fix to this team that needed a major reconstruction that also included an organization that was hollowed out. In my view this current GM has steadily addressed his challenging task without resorting to expedient quick fixes that in the end get you nowhere other than staying on the long road of mediocrity. You need to maintain your composure and trust the process. You may be too frantic to realize it but it is working.

Hopefully my response offers some clarity to some of your misguided perceptions that you seem unable to shake from. ? 

The first half of what you wrote makes sense.  The theory that Bots has a clue has been demonstrated as deluded by everything he has tried to do on offense with the Grand Parade.