Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

40 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What, exactly, makes you think Botterill has a plan?

I don’t know. I feel like it’s pretty clear that his plan is to draft+develop. He said that was the plan day 1 and I feel he’s stuck to it.

I think he’s building through the draft while trying to add cheap depth to the lineup (Sheary, Miller, Vesey, etc) without mortgaging the future. He’s building from the back end out (which is what should be done IMO. Defenseman and goalies take longer to develop). 

Now if he starts making panic trades (like trades that are terrible value for Buffalo, (ie: Hall for Larsson), or hurt the Sabres future for short term benefit (like trading a 1st+prospects for a UFA to be, etc)), I start thinking that either 1) he doesn’t have a plan, or 2) he no longer believes in his plan.

But so far I feel like he’s stuck to his plan. I’m not saying you have to like the plan, or even that I agree with it. But I do think there’s a plan in place that he seems to be following. 

I know everyone is dying for a trade, but I don't think that trading a depth defenseman for a depth forward is going to change the trajectory of the sabre season in any meaningful way. This team pretty much is what it is this year. So for me, I’m just trying to watch for signs of growth. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t know. I feel like it’s pretty clear that his plan is to draft+develop. He said that was the plan day 1 and I feel he’s stuck to it.

I think he’s building through the draft while trying to add cheap depth to the lineup (Sheary, Miller, Vesey, etc) without mortgaging the future. He’s building from the back end out (which is what should be done IMO. Defenseman and goalies take longer to develop). 

Now if he starts making panic trades (like trades that are terrible value for Buffalo, (ie: Hall for Larsson), or hurt the Sabres future for short term benefit (like trading a 1st+prospects for a UFA to be, etc)), I start thinking that either 1) he doesn’t have a plan, or 2) he no longer believes in his plan.

But so far I feel like he’s stuck to his plan. I’m not saying you have to like the plan, or even that I agree with it. But I do think there’s a plan in place that he seems to be following. 

I know everyone is dying for a trade, but I don't think that trading a depth defenseman for a depth forward is going to change the trajectory of the sabre season in any meaningful way. This team pretty much is what it is this year. So for me, I’m just trying to watch for signs of growth. 

What player has developed under Botts tenure and made an impact on the club?  Dahlin doesn't count.

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What player has developed under Botts tenure and made an impact on the club?  Dahlin doesn't count.

Olofsson, Jokiharju, Ullmark are all developing well and having an impact for the Sabres. Eichel looks to be taking a big step forward this year in his development, too. 

If we are talking strictly prospects Botterill drafted, it’s too soon for most of them. Mittelstadt was rushed. I thought he should have been left in school another season. 

The rest are still developing and many are looking pretty damn good. I listed all the prospects Botterill drafted that are doing well and trending up in their development in this thread within the last couple months (I believe it was for a similar question you asked). I don’t really feel like digging for it right now. But many are developing well and look to have a future in the NHL, but time will tell. As I said then, it’s too soon to expect his 2nd (or later) round picks to be having an NHL impact. 

Okay, someone explain to me this Dalton Smith stuff. Signed to an NHL contract, plays 1.20, then gets waived. So a team so up against the cap that daily totals matter eats this contract for 1.20????

Its crap like this that drives me bonkers. Lord knows we all better hope and pray Sobotka does not come back this year. BTW, Vogl did a great writeup of LTIR in the Athletic for those who sub.

https://theathletic.com/1497801/2020/01/01/why-the-sabres-and-jason-botterill-want-to-end-their-reliance-on-long-term-injured-reserve/

quick excerpt

The combined $5.75 million LTIR salaries of Sobotka and Hunwick have allowed Buffalo to eclipse the cap substantially. But as soon as Sobotka is ready to play – even on a conditioning stint in Rochester – the forward and his salary must come off LTIR.

Let’s say Botterill hasn’t shed any significant salaries when Sobotka returns and everyone but Hunwick is healthy. The Sabres could send down Thompson, Lazar, Asplund and Smith, which would get them from $85,426,191 to $82,256,191 – but that’s still $756,191 over the $81.5 million cap. Hunwick would have to stay on LTIR and there’d still be no cushion for bonuses.

And since Hunwick gives the Sabres just a $2.25 million break through LTIR, a few minor injuries would seriously hamstring the team. LTIR is only available for players who’ll miss at least 24 days and 10 games. If the Sabres lost a couple of forwards to day-to-day injuries, they’d have less than $1.5 million to spend on recalls. It could limit them to guys making the NHL minimum of $700,000.

And if one more forward got dinged up, the Sabres would have no choice but to dress 11 forwards and seven defensemen because there’d be no room to recall anyone else.

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Okay, someone explain to me this Dalton Smith stuff. Signed to an NHL contract, plays 1.20, then gets waived. So a team so up against the cap that daily totals matter eats this contract for 1.20????

Its crap like this that drives me bonkers. Lord knows we all better hope and pray Sobotka does not come back this year. BTW, Vogl did a great writeup of LTIR in the Athletic for those who sub.

https://theathletic.com/1497801/2020/01/01/why-the-sabres-and-jason-botterill-want-to-end-their-reliance-on-long-term-injured-reserve/

quick excerpt

Totally inept. In. Ept. 

It’s one thing to misjudge talent that doesn’t pan out, it’s quite another to screw your cap situation in the process. I just can’t see TPegs putting up with it much longer, certainly not past this season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Oof, we have completely fubar’d our roster to get this? Listen, I am fine with loosening  the logjam, just saying this could have happened in November. And remember , Scandella has had a good year. Please god realize you are getting zero back for BOGOand waive his ass now. Same for EROD. 

can we at least play Miller every night now and see if he has game?

Edited by plenzmd1

Underwhelming for sure.

I was hoping for a 3rd at the least if they dealt him for a pick (more like a 2nd, but I guess that was unrealistic under current circumstances). But I expected the pick to be from a playoff team looking to make a run. So a 4th from Montreal may not be drastically different, I guess. Really, I was hoping for a 3rd line forward, but I have to assume that trade wasn’t out there.

At least this clears his $4M cap hit (not exactly sure of the pro-rated cap space). 

There probably weren’t many teams that could take on Scandella’s full cap hit without sending cap back. That’s definitely a big help for the Sabres right now. It makes things a lot less complicated at least. 

Happy for Scandella to go to his hometown team. I believe his mom lives there too iirc. 

Maybe this will eventually get Pilut a call-up (probably need to move 1 more D first). That would be nice. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

There have been rumors about a Zacha for McCabe trade straight up.

The Devils could sure use McCabe, but I really don't know what use Buffalo would have for a forward who can't score goals given the amount of chances he gets.

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Devils could sure use McCabe, but I really don't know what use Buffalo would have for a forward who can't score goals given the amount of chances he gets.

We're going for the most non-scoring forwards all time record?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

We're going for the most non-scoring forwards all time record?

I get it from the Devils standpoint, I don't from the Sabres.

I would think maybe Palmieri would be a better fit for them, but I think he has a no trade clause, unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I would make that trade. Why not. It would get Pilut into the lineup, which would be awesome. I’d rather Pilut vs McCabe (though McCabe plays a different type of game. Tougher), and you guys could definitely use McCabe. 

How has Zacha been? I liked him in his draft year but it doesn’t seem like he’s ever really put it together. 

I also heard a rumor rumor about Evan Rodrigues for Miles Wood. That’s another one I’d do. ERod wants a trade. Ain’t gonna do much better than a player like Miles Wood. Iirc he’s from the buffalo area too, isn’t he? 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I also heard a rumor rumor about Evan Rodrigues for Miles Wood. That’s another one I’d do. ERod wants a trade. Ain’t gonna do much better than a player like Miles Wood. Iirc he’s from the buffalo area too, isn’t he? 

Someone brought this up on Sabrespace and was immediately laughed at.