Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

13 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Couldn't agree more.   I'm curious to see if Arizona flips Hall once they figure out he's not signing a new deal.  That's quite a price for what may be a very short term rental. 

And if they did move him like that, they'd probably get less in return.  If that happens and I'm one of their 6 fans, I revolt.  If they manage to stay near the top of that division all year, even though they probably wouldn't be a serious contender, I feel like they would have to ride him through the playoffs.

16 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Couldn't agree more.   I'm curious to see if Arizona flips Hall once they figure out he's not signing a new deal.  That's quite a price for what may be a very short term rental. 

I understand your position, and it makes sense. But I don't see the Coyotes dealing him under any circumstances. The Coyotes may not know for sure if Hall is going to sign with them but when they acquired him there were no guarantees that a deal could get done to lock him up. So as @shrader stated the organization has most likely made the decision to keep him until the season ends.

The Arizona franchise has been lackluster for quite a while with much of it due to financial limitations. So they acquired a former MVP player who appears to be demoralized playing on a struggling team to not only add some juice to an upcoming young team but also add some spark to a subdued fanbase. 

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I understand your position, and it makes sense. But I don't see the Coyotes dealing him under any circumstances. The Coyotes may not know for sure if Hall is going to sign with them but when they acquired him there were no guarantees that a deal could get done to lock him up. So as @shrader stated the organization has most likely made the decision to keep him until the season ends.

The Arizona franchise has been lackluster for quite a while with much of it due to financial limitations. So they acquired a former MVP player who appears to be demoralized playing on a struggling team to not only add some juice to an upcoming young team but also add some spark to a subdued fanbase. 

Things get much more interesting after taking a look at their payroll.  They have a lot of money already committed for next year.  If they want to keep Hall around, they're going to need to move out a high end body or two.  I can't imagine there's going to be much market for a guy like Derek Stepan at $6.5 million.  They pretty much have to move out a goalie.  I don't know if I've ever seen a team with two of them both making north of $4 million.

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is an article by Lance Lysowski of the Buffalo News. It deals with the Mittelstadt demotion to the Amerks. There is a universal agreement by the organization and people covering the team that this was not only the right move but the obvious move. As I said in a prior post if Tage and Casey can use this AHL experience to improve their games it will not only benefit the players but also the Sabres. The organization believed that this lower league experience benefited Tage putting him in a position to be called up. It's a shame that he got hurt shortly after his call up. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/16/buffalo-sabres-rochester-americans-casey-mittelstadt-chris-taylor-curtis-lazar-nhl-ahl-news-2019/?view=getnewpost

• Like (+1) 1

The power play has been good the last few games but so many shorthanded goals against this season. Wasted a crucial power play passing the puck around until inevitably losing it, instead of putting it on net with bodies in front. That was frustrating to watch.

So weird tonight,, thought it was way early to pull Linus on the PP, but I love being too aggressive vs being to conservative. 

Won the Bills a game this week, and will win  Sabres game as well. 

Was not sold on Ralph till tonight, and even though I disagreed with the decision, I fell into the all in bucket tonight!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Toronto looks really good tonight. All their skill is on display. Buffalo just doesn’t have the same talent level at forward. 

Teams such as Toronto and Tampa have so much more firepower. Because of their abundant forward talent they have such a greater margin of error. When we miss on our chances we struggle. When they miss on some of their chances they go out and get more. 

I thought Ullmark played well and  made some exceptional stops. 

I was happy to see Jack continue on with his streak. He's got such a wicked shot!

The Sabres were outgunned. They didn't quit. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

So weird tonight,, thought it was way early to pull Linus on the PP, but I love being too aggressive vs being to conservative. 

Won the Bills a game this week, and will win  Sabres game as well. 

Was not sold on Ralph till tonight, and even though I disagreed with the decision, I fell into the all in bucket tonight!

I wonder if it's a bit of "hey, it worked last time".  I think it was the Islanders game where they did the same thing late.  Except in that one, they had just kept control of the puck in the offensive zone for somewhere around 1-1.5 minutes.  So at that point, they were basically taking a hammer to an exhausted opponent.  I'll readily admit that it's easy to say this given the benefit of hindsight, but that was a mistake last night.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I wonder if it's a bit of "hey, it worked last time".  I think it was the Islanders game where they did the same thing late.  Except in that one, they had just kept control of the puck in the offensive zone for somewhere around 1-1.5 minutes.  So at that point, they were basically taking a hammer to an exhausted opponent.  I'll readily admit that it's easy to say this given the benefit of hindsight, but that was a mistake last night.

I think it was a mistake as well, and said it as soon as he pulled him, but i will take a mistake being too aggressive as opposed to being too conservative

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Teams such as Toronto and Tampa have so much more firepower. Because of their abundant forward talent they have such a greater margin of error. When we miss on our chances we struggle. When they miss on some of their chances they go out and get more. 

I thought Ullmark played well and  made some exceptional stops. 

I was happy to see Jack continue on with his streak. He's got such a wicked shot!

The Sabres were outgunned. They didn't quit. 

last night and in Edmonton Saturday the Leafs finally showed what they can put together on attack

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

last night and in Edmonton Saturday the Leafs finally showed what they can put together on attack

Toronto is ready to put things together and move up the ranks. I see the same scenario for Tampa. There is just too much firepower to unleash for both teams. For the Sabres beyond the Jack line there isn't much scoring potential. The Sabres need to surround Skinner with more support so that his scoring talents won't be wasted. I just don't see where the help is going to come from. 

What really impressed me about the Leafs is their team speed, including their defensemen. They outgunned and out paced the Sabres. The big issue for Toronto is that the attributes that favor them in the regular season get neutralized in the playoffs when the games qualitatively change from a skill to grind out game. 

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Toronto is ready to put things together and move up the ranks. I see the same scenario for Tampa. There is just too much firepower to unleash for both teams. For the Sabres beyond the Jack line there isn't much scoring potential. The Sabres need to surround Skinner with more support so that his scoring talents won't be wasted. I just don't see where the help is going to come from. 

What really impressed me about the Leafs is their team speed, including their defensemen. They outgunned and out paced the Sabres. The big issue for Toronto is that the attributes that favor them in the regular season get neutralized in the playoffs when the games qualitatively change from a skill to grind out game. 

good points all around

assuming a few things pan out the rest of the way, the Leafs will again have to face the Bruins in the playoffs...

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, this is not encouraging( btw, outside of reading about propsects, I know zilch. So maybe some y’all know more on that topic can weigh in here?

It looks like an incredibly lazy take to me.  If making the team is a standard, you can't at the same time crap on Samuelsson.  Beyond that, Johnson is significantly younger than the rest of that group.  8 of the 9 d-men were born in 2000.  The oonly 2001 was drafted ahead of Johnson., Cam York (1/5/2001).  Johnson is 7/24/2001, so he's significantly younger than that group.  They're clearly leaning towards experience.  He'll get that spot next year.

And then there's also the fact that he's crapping on Samuelsson for something that hasn't actually happened yet.  Is that just a tweet from some completely random guy?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

It looks like an incredibly lazy take to me.  If making the team is a standard, you can't at the same time crap on Samuelsson.  Beyond that, Johnson is significantly younger than the rest of that group.  8 of the 9 d-men were born in 2000.  The oonly 2001 was drafted ahead of Johnson., Cam York (1/5/2001).  Johnson is 7/24/2001, so he's significantly younger than that group.  They're clearly leaning towards experience.  He'll get that spot next year.

And then there's also the fact that he's crapping on Samuelsson for something that hasn't actually happened yet.  Is that just a tweet from some completely random guy?

Yep! Like I said, i know zilch about the prospects!

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

I was really impressed by their play against the Sabres. As you said, it looked like they just put it all together. They were passing circles around the Sabres at times (esp. in the 1st). As I said in my previous post, their skill at forward was on full display. Barrie/Rielly looked good too.

I didn’t even think the Sabres played that bad (besides the 1st period, anyway). Toronto was just the better team.