Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

Botts is usually adamantly opposed to buyouts. This is a case where he should consider it as an option as the best thing for the player and for the organization. When you have an asset with little value then the reality is that you don't have an asset but instead you have a liability. As the saying goes: Addition by subtraction.

i am 99.9% certain a buyout is not an option in season..but i could be wrong

10 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'd trade him for nothing if someone is willing to take his salary.  That's a total win.

ya , dont think that happening either. Question is what is the $2.5 worth to get off your books? Send a 2nd along with him? a 3rd?

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am 99.9% certain a buyout is not an option in season..but i could be wrong

ya , dont think that happening either. Question is what is the $2.5 worth to get off your books? Send a 2nd along with him? a 3rd?

You’re right about buyouts. They only happen in the summer and there’s only a short window (that usually starts June15, or 2 days after the Stanley Cup is awarded, whichever is later).

And no way in hell I send a 2nd with Bogosian (I believe they already traded their 3rd for Vesey). He’s off the books after this season. It is not worth one of our top 3 round picks to dump 1/2 a year worth of salary.

Sabres are still trying to build depth in their farm system, they can’t go giving away 2nd round picks to clear 55 games of salary. 

Bogo’s cap hit is lower for an acquiring team now due to the season being 1/3 of the way through. 

I think you look for a salary for salary trade with another team. I’d look to make a swap for an underperforming forward on an expiring deal (there’s a # of them around the NHL). 

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/

We haven’t played a better period in years. To absolutely dominate the Islanders like that is a rarity. Too bad we had three consecutive penalties to kill off because that was the only thing that slows us down.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We haven’t played a better period in years. To absolutely dominate the Islanders like that is a rarity. Too bad we had three consecutive penalties to kill off because that was the only thing that slows us down.

And I thought 2 of the 3 calls were pretty questionable (Risto+Mojo). I feel like the refs were kind of letting the crowd call the penalties for a minute there. 

I love when Buffalo is executing Krueger’s system like they were in that period. Ifs so much fun to watch.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Helluva point. Seven out of the last eight, with five of six against three of the most difficult teams to play. 

did not see the game, radio only for me, and i missed most the 2nd. Sounded like they were getting dominated in the first...but the 3rd sounded great. Good job Sabres.

I watched most of the game but not always able to give full attention. Some of my observations from this game: When you have good goaltending you can stay in the game even when the tide is against you as it was in the first period. After the first period I thought we were the equal if not better team. As I stated in a prior post we have played upper echelon teams who are playing at a high level and when comparing the teams we are equal, although our talent level isn't as widespread. 

As with St. Louis this game was played very tightly like a playoff game from the beginning to end. Our forechecking is tough and the ability of our defensemen to quickly  move the puck out of our end is impressive. This unit is good with each defenseman capable of playing with any other player on the unit. I thought Dahlin demonstrated that he is getting back to his form. And I am now more resolute about keeping Risto. He is a physical presence and his game has been upgraded now that he is playing a smarter and simpler game. Better coaching is reflected in his upgraded play.

Jack is great and tough. He took a lot of abuse. He stood his ground and played through some roughneck play that should have resulted in the opposition being penalized. They weren't to the extent that they should have. 

There is no doubt that the Islanders are an upper echelon team and a cup contending team. On the other hand their style of play does not provide much entertaining hockey. 

The penalty that Barzal incurred at the end of the game against Dahlin was reckless and dumb. Rob Ray who worked by the benches said on the broadcast that his teammates game him hell when he returned to the bench after the Eichel score. 

The Sabres are team to be proud of!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

did not see the game, radio only for me, and i missed most the 2nd. Sounded like they were getting dominated in the first...but the 3rd sounded great. Good job Sabres.

They didn’t find their legs until the 10 minute mark of the first and from there on out we pretty much owned them, especially in the 2nd. I think the shots attempted were something like 65 to 29 in our favor. We really owned the offensive zone much of the time. 

Sorry you had to suffer through Dunleavy on the radio. He’s the worst. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

They didn’t find their legs until the 10 minute mark of the first and from there on out we pretty much owned them, especially in the 2nd. I think the shots attempted were something like 65 to 29 in our favor. We really owned the offensive zone much of the time. 

Sorry you had to suffer through Dunleavy on the radio. He’s the worst. 

Dunleavy certainly doesn’t paint the word picture — and RJ’s simulcast of a TV broadcast isn’t so great, either.

Pegula would go a long way to winning my heart if he hired a radio-only announcer.  One who knows how to do the job.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, snafu said:

Dunleavy certainly doesn’t paint the word picture — and RJ’s simulcast of a TV broadcast isn’t so great, either.

Pegula would go a long way to winning my heart if he hired a radio-only announcer.  One who knows how to do the job.

Yeah, he's a lot more frustrating to listen on the radio.  Have no clue of where the possession is most of the time.

11 hours ago, GG said:

Yeah, he's a lot more frustrating to listen on the radio.  Have no clue of where the possession is most of the time.

hockey on radio self-imposes  a few seconds delay behind the play to let them always get it right

faceoffs are completely ignored on Toronto broadcasts, picking up the action after a team possesses the puck

when I mention this fans deny it, but then they pay attention for a few minutes and agree with me

Edited by row_33

The attached link are the standings. It's amazing how tight things are below the top few teams. There are 9 or 10 teams that are within a 4 point spread. Every point will count going up to the last game of the season for a number of teams. Hopefully, we will be in that mix. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2019/conference

Jeff Skinner didn't get much playing time in the Islander game. I'm sure that being on a PK for quite a few times factored in his diminished minutes. Also, I'm sure that because this was such a tightly played game that there was a necessity for the Larsson line to be used more.  On the other hand it seems that Skinner has been relegated to a third tier line. Krueger usually doesn't put him on the ice for OT and four and four situations because of his defensive deficiencies. We need his sniping talents to balance out the scoring. 

15 hours ago, GG said:

It was the worst during that Nashville game when Larry Playfair started telling old war stories while the play was going on. Dunleavy didn't want to interrupt him and Larry didn't have the sense to wrap up once play resumed. Ideally WGR should have their own radio crew, but for the expense and people wanting RJ whenever he's on.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I still can’t figure out how Ted Darling knew that the kid sitting in the lower blues that caught the puck was from Crystal Beach, Ontario.  Did Ted have a seating chart?!  ?

Younger fans don't remember him. I sure do. He was great, with Robataille as his color guy.

Best thing for him, IMO. This was long overdue, but there were a lot of injuries so that’s probably what held things up. 

Hopefuly he can go down to rochester, regain his confidence and come back to Buffalo later in the season and actually add some offense (but I’m fine leaving him down there all season if a call-up isn’t warranted or needed).