Buffalo Bills Confirmed UDFA Signing. (2 Left)

MAJBobby

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Fair. They could certainly try Yeldon as that gadget type guy. Not sure Yeldon is a lock either mind you. At the moment I see them keeping all 4 backs but if Singletary lights up pre-season and they are committed to the two vets then does he have any value as a 4th back? He didn't play teams in Jacksonville. Keeping McKenzie as a swiss army knife who could play some RB and some slot WR and plays teams might have more value. 

It is just worth reiterating again that what we know about this regime is if you are the 5th and 6th receiver or the 4th back or the 4th tight end or the 4th safety or anyone towards the bottom of the roster then you sure darn better play teams. Because if you don't they will take someone who may be a tick below you as a scrimmage guy but who plays in the 3rd phase. 

I think Singletary is the gadget going forward. He could be the Bill's Tarik Cohen.  

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

I can't speak for anyone other than myself but I'd like to supplement Foster not supplant.  Zay Jones on the other hand, hopefully nothing tragic happens when he''s cut. 

I'd offer him to the Chargers right now. They did nothing to replace Tyrell Williams in free agency or the draft. And Jones' WR coach is there. 2020 4th. 

I have used the Cohen example myself but Singletary doesn't have that break away speed to be as effective of a gadget I don't think. Same quick change of direction though. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

I'd offer him to the Chargers right now. They did nothing to replace Tyrell Williams in free agency or the draft. And Jones' WR coach is there. 2020 4th. 

Deal. 

I would not write off Zay Jones.  He improved last season so when training camp happens, look for a spirited competition at the WR position.  The Bills management is looking past this season when they drafted Singletary.  After next season both McCoy and gore can be gone.  With only 6 draft picks, they will not have ammo to plug many positions.  I like Beane and his vision/process.  The future looks bright for the Bills.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"Supreme" means "superior to all others"...........and its not superior to the efforts made by those other teams.    

For instance.........the Rams added Woods, Kupp and Watkins for Goff year 2...........the pedigree of those additions blows the Bills efforts out of the water.     

Let's start with where I think we'd agree: the Bills have not, to date, done an effective job of providing Allen with weapons, and while they have made additions and attempts this year, one can not truthfully describe 2 non-star FA signings, a TE at the end of the 3rd round, and some UDFA WR a "supreme" effort.

But to your instance, does what the Rams did truly "blow the Bills efforts out of the water"? 

-Kupp was drafted in the 3rd round in 2017, Goff's year 2.    He had an OK, not stellar, rookie year - 800+ yds, 55+ ypg. He was looking great until injured last season.

-Woods, at the time of his addition, was a 5th year former 2nd round pick who was averaging a very "meh" 45 ypg and 625 yds/season (best season ~700 yds)

-Watkins, at the time of his addition, was a former 1st round pick who had 2 good seasons (1000 yds or close to it), followed by a very meh injury-hampered season

The Bills, for Allen's first year had the following WR:

-Zay Jones was drafted in the 2nd round.  Jones had off-season surgery, and improved last year to >40 ypg for Allen's 1st year

-Benjamin, at the time of his 2017 addition, was a former 1st round pick who had 2 good seasons (1000 yds or close to it) followed by an injury-hampered season that still saw 59 ypg for his trading team
for Allen's second year the Bills added:
-John Brown, a 6th year vet, former 3rd round pick with a 1000+ yd season for a conf. champion and otherwise 45 ypg/646 yds per season
-Beasley, an 8 year vet averaging a very meh 32 ypg for his career, but who has managed 42 and 52 ypg for a young QB and an offense that was clicking

I'll leave out the other stuff that the Bills unsuccessfully tried.  My point is: one can argue that the OUTCOME of the Rams additions blows the OUTCOME of the Bills efforts out of the water to date, but can you truly argue that the PEDIGREE of the additions blows the Bills efforts out of the water? 

Both teams tried adding a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.  The former 1st round pick was a disappointment for both teams - Benjamin's 570 yds in 18 games for Buffalo moreso than Watkins 593 yds in 15 games, but it's hardly a "blowout" difference.  In hindsight, Woods career took off like a rocket and he blows the doors off anything we've got, but that's not a pedigree/performance at the time of the signing difference, right? 

I can't agree with you that the PEDIGREE of the Rams additions blows the doors off what the Bills have tried to do.  It looks to me more like a case where both teams have tried to add a good supporting cast, and with Kupp looking great in his 2nd year and Woods taking off, the Rams situation currently looks better (assuming Woods continues to play at a high level in his 7th season and Kupp comes back from his ACL OK).  If Zay continues to improve and comes on in his 3rd year and if John Brown is able to contribute as he did with Flacco throwing to him (he was averaging 80 ypg in the first 7 games), and if Kupp struggles and Woods starts to trail off, it's not gonna look that different.  Not as good maybe, but not fitting the "they blew our efforts out of the water" narrative.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't care if they're FA's or 3rd rounders. Just find me 5 guys who can catch a ball coming in at 65mph. 5 guys who can stay healthy and make plays.

no kidding.

we have many Foster Fans hear.Because he earned it.
and ya have to cheer for UDFA s if you are a Bills Fan. we have been cheering underdogs as long i an able to recall.
supplement is the best word for the day and draft really.
Bills made plenty of  Additions.
How they play out is up to the staff and program, and a bit of luck.

If Bills bring them in ? I cheer for ' em.

simple old school math

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I would not write off Zay Jones.  He improved last season so when training camp happens, look for a spirited competition at the WR position.  The Bills management is looking past this season when they drafted Singletary.  After next season both McCoy and gore can be gone.  With only 6 draft picks, they will not have ammo to plug many positions.  I like Beane and his vision/process.  The future looks bright for the Bills.

i am not writing of anyone just yet. surely not Jones.

but i do have my favorites : )

McDs talk like they think fluidly about future state , contracts and managing potential upgrades. so far this year  since FA forward i can get a handle on the method.

Whaley was trying to win now after Hix left.
as mentioned McD are trying to join the weekly Win column , long term and consistently

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I like the potential of both of them. I hope one stays and the other is on the PS. I see little need for Zay.

People say that, but the last 5 games of the season (those both Allen and Zay played post-JA injury) he was averaging 52 ypg whilst pretty much drawing the #1 cover guy. Those aren't #1 Star numbers, but then neither were the  32 attempts per game and 216 ypg Allen threw during those games Star QB numbers.

52 ypg would be a 832 yard season with similar production over 16 games.  That would be a solid WR contribution.

How's about we keep a guy who has actually shown he can do something in the NFL, just at the point where maybe he's developing and might become better? 

Or maybe we can trade him to the Rams, they might need a guy to fill in for Kupp, and they've had great luck with developing the Bills former 2nd round WR picks.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Zay Jones was the most improved player on the Bills roster last year, and was noted multiple times by the media for taking a completely different approach to being a professional, and having a completely different demeanor. And it showed on the field. Not sure why folks are writing him off going into his 3rd year just because he had a bad rookie season (with a QB who wasnt a passer). Too soon to give up on a 2nd round pick who was so productive in college and who looked to be making strides in his development last year.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Martin Nance

Da'Rick Rogers

Brandon Reilly

And now David Sills

The love affair with UDFA's is so comical.

All the while the Bills have a REAL UDDA WR who worked his butt to make the team (Robert Foster) and you hear crickets with Foster. Foster is light years more talented than any of these guys and yet everyone wants to replace him.

Nice.

Nobody wants to replace Foster. Dude is on a super team friendly contract, clearly has a certain chemistry with Allen, but he’s also had like 8 good games and is far from a sure thing.   

Then after him you have Zay... that’s all I’m gonna say about him bc I don’t have any faith in that dude to amount to anything at this point.

Brown and Beasley are nice additions, but even with these two on the roster the WRs aren’t anything spectacular and they could use atleast one more legitimate addition to the group.

4 hours ago, c-troop said:

Its pretty wild hot take, like they have Cody Ford telling us what it's like to be blocking for the RB you think is gunna be cut, makes no sense and you're looking like a bookies best friend 

this is true, yet I can't think of an actual reason that they would cut him either. 

Oh yeah! You’re gonna work out well around here. I have a keen eye for early superstars!

Welcome aboard!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Zay Jones was the most improved player on the Bills roster last year, and was noted multiple times by the media for taking a completely different approach to being a professional, and having a completely different demeanor. And it showed on the field. Not sure why folks are writing him off going into his 3rd year just because he had a bad rookie season (with a QB who wasnt a passer). Too soon to give up on a 2nd round pick who was so productive in college and who looked to be making strides in his development last year.

He had a good game or 2 that looked good on paper and made his season look better, but watching him every week, I still think he has a long way to go and is no better than the team's 4th best receiver going into camp.  He still had too many drops and is still not crisp enough on his routes.  The best thing that I can see in his new approach is he's staying away from windows this offseason (Sorry, I just couldn't resist). If the top 3 stay healthy, Zay is going to have only a handful of catches this year & will likely be fighting for a roster spot in 2020 if the Bills draft any WRs in the 1st 3 rounds.  

PS: This has nothing to do with my reply to the doctor, but there aren't just 2 spots left if this week the Bills cut Vlad and some of the other suspects who will be long gone before opening day.

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

He had a good game or 2 that looked good on paper and made his season look better, but watching him every week, I still think he has a long way to go and is no better than the team's 4th best receiver going into camp.  He still had too many drops and is still not crisp enough on his routes.  The best thing that I can see in his new approach is he's staying away from windows this offseason (Sorry, I just couldn't resist). If the top 3 stay healthy, Zay is going to have only a handful of catches this year & will likely be fighting for a roster spot in 2020 if the Bills draft any WRs in the 1st 3 rounds.  

PS: This has nothing to do with my reply to the doctor, but there aren't just 2 spots left if this week the Bills cut Vlad and some of the other suspects who will be long gone before opening day.

Maybe. Or maybe he continues to develop, along with Josh, and our entire offensive system, and turns into a decent #2 WR.

Either way, still not going to trade him for a 4th right now as others have suggested.