Pass Blocking

It is important to recognize that our line is not the strongest in pass blocking, but is getting stronger in terms of opening up holes for Willis. This is not a large concern to me as it is possible to scheme for pass blocking to make up for the lack of talent on our line in that department.

Someone can correct my memory but i do recall several formations with three players split wide not far from the tackle. Those players that were often in that formation were Moulds, Shelton, and Aiken? They would typically chip defenders slowing them down and then breaking into their routes. Also tight-ends (if we ever get any of those healthy on the roster) may add to helping our o-line in pass protection by chipping and then finding empty space in the secondary. I do remember we held Jason Taylor tackle-less once this year by gameplanning our blocking schemes around him. Similar attempts in this fashion may happen in order to bring our line up to par. I like that we have physical receivers that are willing to block (i guess the knock on Matt Jones if he ends up coming here is that he doesn't like to block) and who can be effective when called upon to do it, whether it is downfield or at the line of scrimmage. I will surely have my eye out for our pass blocking schemes at the start of the season.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

I think the pass blocking thing is overblown, I think our line is better in pass protection than it is in run blocking, and I bring attention to this as when willis was instituted into the lineup the sack #'s decreased dramatically, but we got stuffed a lot for no gains, and losses on running plays. The interior of our line imo was the biggest reason for this as they just couldn't seem to get consistent push on defenders, which is the biggest reason I was so happy to hear bennie anderson was brought in. The coaches recognized a weakness and trying to improve that area of our game.

A Lot of pass protection imo falls on the ability of qb to get rid of the ball quickly, and for rb's to pick up a blitz, also added with losmans mobility and the coaches hopefully emphasizing a strong running game, it should make our average pass blocking line look better at it, while the running game goes strong.