PS5 confirmed by Sony some specs discussed

Reed83HOF

From Mark Cerny https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

1.) Special SSD that has raw bandwith that his higher than any SSD for a PC (PS5 SSD is 19 times faster than an SSD in a PS4 Pro)
“I have an SSD in my laptop, and when I want to change from Excel to Word I can wait 15 seconds.” What’s built into Sony’s next-gen console is something a little more specialized. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early “low-speed” version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

On the original PS4, the camera moves at about the speed Spidey hits while web-slinging. “No matter how powered up you get as Spider-Man, you can never go any faster than this,” Cerny says, “because that's simply how fast we can get the data off the hard drive.” On the next-gen console, the camera speeds uptown like it’s mounted to a fighter jet.

2.) Supports 8K graphics

3.) PSVR2

4.) Accepts Physical Media (not only downloadable content)

5.) Backwards compatible

6.) Cloud gaming and multiple device support is still not clear: “we are cloud-gaming pioneers, and our vision should become clear as we head toward launch”

7.) CPU - AMD ryzen 3rd gen, 8 cores & new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture

8.) GPU - custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into $10,000 high-end processors, no game console has been able to manage it.

9.) 3D audio

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

Im not sure if I am going to be an adopter of the next Gen... at least early (was a PS4 pre-order).  

The Storage space crunch really ruined this gen for me.  Constantly managing which games I have on the system is annoying, and if I want to pull out a game I dont have installed because I needed to free up space... I need to play the space managing game and install for X amount of time.  

I really want backwards compatibility to pre-PS4 games as well. 

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Im not sure if I am going to be an adopter of the next Gen... at least early (was a PS4 pre-order).  

The Storage space crunch really ruined this gen for me.  Constantly managing which games I have on the system is annoying, and if I want to pull out a game I dont have installed because I needed to free up space... I need to play the space managing game and install for X amount of time.  

I was a PS4 Pre-order as well. I hung on until about 6 months after the Pro came out - it was noisy as hell. It was slim picking with the games, I am hoping for more launch titles which is why they are skipping E3 this year. Even the past 10 months games have been slim pickings. It feels like the studios are all waiting for next gen. I play the hell out of Destiny and the Pro cannot keep up.  

They have a patent out there for backwards compatibility all the way back to PS1 the software is able to apparently emulate the old CPUs which will allow the old games to play without anything special. Huge if they launch with it.

I am very curious about the space as well. With this new SSD, what is the capacity and I am assuming for external storage you will have to transfer between the external and this internal drive. I have no clue if it will be a pain in the ass or not.

More than likely I will pre-order, but am looking forward to hearing more about it specs and what it does and doesn't do.

Also sounds like the Switch is going to release a updated hardware version this year too.  

I still hook up PS2 from time to time to play older games. This would be an immediate pre order for me if it happens.

I’m not a hardware guy, I usually ask more savvy friends their opinion. Usually a game finally drives my decision to buy the next gen.

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Does the backwards compatibility mean it will be able to play ALL generations of PS games?

For some reason I assumed they meant it would play PS4 games only.  (Or PS5 obviously).

They only mentioned PS4, but Sony has filed a couple backwards compatibility patents. Obviously the PS3 presents a challenge

https://www.gamesradar.com/yet-another-sony-patent-seems-to-promise-ps5-backwards-compatibility/

"A new device executing an application on a new CPU determines whether the application is for a legacy device having a legacy CPU. When the application is for the legacy device, the new CPU executes the application with selected features of the new CPU that are not present on the legacy CPU disabled..."

As its creators describe it, Sony is toying with the idea of emulation, using a new CPU, or processor, to mimic the performance of an older one. In layman's terms, this patent illustrates a method for backward compatibility that doesn't require the integration of an older, "legacy" CPU. 

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The very first thing I bought after my Xbox/PS4 was an external hard drive for both. 

I grabbed a 4 TB external hard drive for each. You can get them for about $80-90. I recommend the WD brand, but any will work. 

Super easy to install too. All you do is plug in the USB cable to the console and it walks you through a 1 minute setup and then you’re ready to go. 

I have yet to fill either one. Never had to uninstall a game...

Edited by BillsFan4

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The very first thing I bought after my Xbox/PS4 was an external hard drive for both. 

I grabbed a 4 TB external hard drive for each. You can get them for about $80-90. I recommend the WD brand, but any will work. 

Super easy to install too. All you do is plug in the USB cable to the console and it walks you through a 1 minute setup and then you’re ready to go. 

I have yet to fill either one. Never had to uninstall a game...

do the games run from the USB drive or is it just to back up old games?

if you're running from the USB drive, does it slow down noticably? 

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

do the games run from the USB drive or is it just to back up old games?

if you're running from the USB drive, does it slow down noticably? 

You can pick which ever hard drive you want to run from, and switch between the internal and external if you want. All you do is go to the storage menu on the PS4.

I have not not used my internal hard drive since I plugged in the external. I’ve had no need to, really. I set it to install/run everything off the external hard drive and have just left it that way. 

Games run right from the external hard drive. 

The external hard drive is actually slightly faster loading than the internal hard drive on the PS4 is (though hardly noticeable). 

The PS4 has a USB 3 port. It’s actually a faster connection than the SATA II the internal drive uses. 

Plus, the external hd’s have better specs than the hd the PS4 uses.

and it’s only running games. It’s not running all the functions the internal hd is running. 

I use a powered external hard drive.

This one - https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHL4E/ref=asc_df_B01LQQHL4E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309776868400&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4076394060688731751&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005554&hvtargid=pla-343408347012&th=

You can can also use a portable external hard drive that’s powered by the USB. Powered hd’s are slightly faster, but not really noticeable. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713WPGLL/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

The portable hard drive is recommended if you want to take your game collection to friends houses to play. If you only play games at home (like me) then I would recommend the powered hard drive as they are slightly faster (and I’ve read they are a bit more reliable over the long run). 

The other nice nice thing about an external hard drive is if you ever have to get a new PlayStation, all you have to do is plug your hard drive in to the new console and all your games are ready to go. Same if the new PS5 comes out and has backward compatibility. You could obviously also use it for storage on a new PS5. 

As an added bonus, you can use it as a DVR recording device (on XBox one anyway. Never tried it on PS4. You actually need an external hard drive to use that feature). 

I mean, you could also always open the PS4 up and install a bigger internal hard drive. It’s easy to do.  But there is really no reason IMO, unless the internal hard drive is way cheaper or something. But there is no down side to using an external hard drive. I prefer it actually. 

Oh, just FYI I noticed in that first link link (to the powered external hard drive) that the

6 tb model is only $20 more. If I were buying one, I’d just get the 6 tb.  Two extra tb’s for $20 is a steal. 

Edited by BillsFan4

I love that fact that I'm completely lost on all this tech talk, but I'll still cave and buy the system 2 or so years into it's run once they make a new GTA, Red Dead, Batman, or Metal Gear game that I absolutely have to play.  I would have included Final Fantasy on that list as well, but the last few, particularly the last one, underwhelmed significantly.