Isle of palms, South carolina

Moulds_80

Go bills! 

On a mini vacation in South carolina and looking for suggestions from any locals or anyone with experience here! 

Left rochester thurs morning and it was snowing...80 and sunny here and hanging at coconut Joe's but lookong for things to do in the Charleston area!  Thank you!

Cool spot! Did a vacation there with the wives’ family about 15 years ago when we were still in college ?. Remember being at a couple cool bars right on the beach. One had a nice rooftop patio. 

In Charleston I recommend 82 Queen. Awesome food and fantastic courtyard. Their she crab soup is top notch 

Also I think coconut joes is the place in isle of palms I was thinking of!

Edited by billsfanmiami(oh)
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Charleston is great. It sounds hoaky, but those carriage rides around town are actually pretty cool. They have different routes and cover all different kinds of historical stuff. It’s a pleasant way to see the city (if you don’t mind a little waft of horse poop!). At the very least you should see the Battery and Rainbow Row downtown. The old market is pretty cool too. 

I’ve never done it, but my sister’s husband is a big Civil War buff and he loved Fort Sumter. Not really my thing, but I’d do it once, just never got around to it. 

A ton of great restaurants back when I used to get there. HAVE FUN! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Have not been since 2000 but remember being told that one of the old church steeples was damaged by Hurricane Hugo.  When they went up to fix/straighten it, they found a canon ball embedded in one of the timbers.  It was decided that it was likely still "live,"  so they left it there.  It may still be up there?

21 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Have not been since 2000 but remember being told that one of the old church steeples was damaged by Hurricane Hugo.  When they went up to fix/straighten it, they found a canon ball embedded in one of the timbers.  It was decided that it was likely still "live,"  so they left it there.  It may still be up there?

My boss was in Charleston during the Hugo timeframe, so I was up there a LOT. I’ll never forget the first time up after the hurricane. It was weeks later, and there was devastation everywhere. The strangest part was seeing yachts on Broad St and littered around town.  Surreal. 

BTW - the old buildings have some strange architectural rods that are there to hold them together in case of earthquakes I believe. They look like decorative plates on the outside of walls, but they're like the nut holding it together. Fuzzy on the details, but very unexpected.   

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My boss was in Charleston during the Hugo timeframe, so I was up there a LOT. I’ll never forget the first time up after the hurricane. It was weeks later, and there was devastation everywhere. The strangest part was seeing yachts on Broad St and littered around town.  Surreal. 

BTW - the old buildings have some strange architectural rods that are there to hold them together in case of earthquakes I believe. They look like decorative plates on the outside of walls, but they're like the nut holding it together. Fuzzy on the details, but very unexpected.   

I was walking along the Battery, and struck up a conversation with a Police Officer.  Asked him if he was there for Hugo?  He said yes.  Had to ask how he and his family survived, he said; "State Farm was very, very good to me!"

It looks like its south of Myrtle Beach. Maybe on your way home stop at a place called the Grumpy Monk. Its located right on Broadway at the beach. It was founded by Bills fans and they have a hidden Bills trinket somewhere in the restaurant that nobody has found, (at least since I was there). The drink selection is awesome and the My Italian Mama sandwich is probably in the top 5 sandwiches I've ever had.

Thanks all for the suggestions!   Hung out at the beach today, weddi,g tomorrow and Charleston Sunday.   Met the owner of coconut Joe's.  Awesome guy, celebrated the 22 yr anniversary yesterday! 

I'm a big civil war guy, the whike drive down it seemed like every town I knew because of a battle...  The gf not so much lol.   We're going to split the difference on Sunday and do both the beach and a museum or historical site or 2

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I was walking along the Battery, and struck up a conversation with a Police Officer.  Asked him if he was there for Hugo?  He said yes.  Had to ask how he and his family survived, he said; "State Farm was very, very good to me!"

In some ways it was a better town a couple years after Hugo. The insurance companies spent billions replacing crappy old stuff with new shiney stuff. 

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It looks like its south of Myrtle Beach. Maybe on your way home stop at a place called the Grumpy Monk. Its located right on Broadway at the beach. It was founded by Bills fans and they have a hidden Bills trinket somewhere in the restaurant that nobody has found, (at least since I was there). The drink selection is awesome and the My Italian Mama sandwich is probably in the top 5 sandwiches I've ever had.

I just was there, saw that place, and didn’t go in! Didn’t know it was founded by Bills fans!

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just was there, saw that place, and didn’t go in! Didn’t know it was founded by Bills fans!

I didn't either. It was a pleasant surprise. Its not like they have Bills gear hanging up all around,  but when I opened the menu there was a blur about the owners and Bills. 

4 hours ago, Moulds_80 said:

Thanks all for the suggestions!   Hung out at the beach today, weddi,g tomorrow and Charleston Sunday.   Met the owner of coconut Joe's.  Awesome guy, celebrated the 22 yr anniversary yesterday! 

I'm a big civil war guy, the whike drive down it seemed like every town I knew because of a battle...  The gf not so much lol.   We're going to split the difference on Sunday and do both the beach and a museum or historical site or 2

If into the civil war try seeing the Hunley sub.  It will allow beach time and buy tickets ahead for a specific tour time.  

Worth it and a different bit of history than the normal museum or battlefield.