Typical knee jerk reaction

Beerball

The Rhode Island Senate approved a bill that will fine athletes and entertainers $100 if they charge someone under 16 for an autograph. What a senseless waste of time. The end result will be no card shows in RI (if there ever were any) and most atheletes who do happen to pass through the state will politely decline autograph requests. Much ado about nothing.

linky

The Rhode Island Senate approved a bill that will fine athletes and entertainers $100 if they charge someone under 16 for an autograph.  What a senseless waste of time.  The end result will be no card shows in RI (if there ever were any) and most atheletes who do happen to pass through the state will politely decline autograph requests.  Much ado about nothing.

linky

291803[/snapback]

Considering that the Pats preseason home is in RI, this law just makes it harder for the Pats players, or Bruins players in Providence ot Red Sox players in Pawtucket to CHARGE kids for autographs.

Considering that the Pats preseason home is in RI, this law just makes it harder for the Pats players, or Bruins players in Providence ot Red Sox players in Pawtucket to CHARGE kids for autographs.

291840[/snapback]

So what are the brokers gonna do? They'll get a band of 50 kids to get autographs for them is what. Then the players will simply say no thanks. A vast majority of kids want the autograph for themself, this will push them to be greedy about the whole thing.

Meh.... The rep was responding that Red Sox players were getting big coin while alienating kids from having great memories of the time they met X and got an autograph.

Doesn't do much for the hardcore collecter types who are big on COA, etc. They'll still have official deals w/ players to commercialize a friggin' pen scribble. I don't quite get the fascination w/ buying an autograph. The whole point is to show that you've met that person. When I waited in line for 2 hours in Rochacha to see Jim Kelly, that's burned in my head when I asked how his knee was doing and he said "Feels good," and then handed me back the jersey and said "Here you go, bud!" Someone who charges just doesn't have that personable, boatloads of goodwill, legend-status.

Not enough that they make millions and that these things help market their job, players who charge = RJ.

Did it need to be legislated? Prol'y not. Whatever.

Uh-oh. This is really gonna give professional athletes a black eye. Um.

No , I meant it will give the government a black...Forget it.

I look around and its nothing but black eyes. Isnt there anything pure anymore? Isnt there anything innocent and beautiful? Is it all just scandals and lies?

Yeah. Probably. :o

EDIT-- Yes, okay Jessica Alba IS innocent AND pure AND beautiful. But in a dirty way, so it counts.Okay so thats one.

Uh-oh. This is really gonna give professional athletes a black eye. Um.

No , I meant it will give the government a black...Forget it.

I look around and its nothing but black eyes. Isnt there anything pure anymore? Isnt there anything innocent and beautiful? Is it all just scandals and lies?

Yeah. Probably. :o

EDIT-- Yes, okay Jessica Alba IS innocent AND pure AND beautiful. But in a dirty way, so it counts.Okay so thats one.

292790[/snapback]

the biggest difference is that i want to do dirty and impure things to jessica alba, while i cant say as much about any nfl player...

I can see it now ... Professional autograph collectors enlisting kids 15 and under to get celebs to sign for free and then resell for profit. A grand scam waiting to happen. The friggin' legislators most likely have the deal in their pocket. But it won't be a big deal because who the hell goes to that state anyway?

The Rhode Island Senate approved a bill that will fine athletes and entertainers $100 if they charge someone under 16 for an autograph.  What a senseless waste of time.  The end result will be no card shows in RI (if there ever were any) and most atheletes who do happen to pass through the state will politely decline autograph requests.  Much ado about nothing.

linky

291803[/snapback]

I'm well acquainted with the Rhode Island senate. Their asses are parked in the next tree over. Lousy aim, but they make up for it in volume. *SPLAT*