Uber/Lyft

Chef Jim

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Why, pray tell, do you boycott Uber?

When I lived I Oakland they bought the old Sears building downtown and they were renovating it for their new headquarters and bringing in 3,000 jobs. It’s an area of Oakland that was up and coming. New upscale restaurants and bars. Well the construction stalled and I knew something was up. Yup they cancelled their project and sold the building for a hefty profit. So yeah ***** then. 

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

With your tin foil hat on, I bet you get an extra strong signal on that cell phone.

The naivety of what enormous corporations are doing collecting data and utilization of that data to influence your decisions is baffling to me....but whatever.  Its all rainbows, sunshine, and unicorns in your world I guess.  Cool.

Edited by Mark80
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Uber and Lyft are well known in the Bay area software space to not be ride sharing companies.  They are data collection companies.  They take all the permissions you give them and collect as much data as they can about you.  Where you go, when you go, where you live, etc.  What they do with it, who knows?  But I'm guessing they are selling it to others.  All I know is that I download the app only when I need and then delete it immediately after I'm done.  Every time.

You do know you can turn off the location tracker to only track you when you’re using the app?  Even this old fart knows that. 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

You do know you can turn off the location tracker to only track you when you’re using the app?  Even this old fart knows that. 

I work in software my man.  I am well aware.  I am also well aware that you can program/code around that undetected pretty easily. 

Edited by Mark80

Just now, Mark80 said:

I work in software my man.  I am well aware.  I am also well aware that you can program around that undetected pretty easily. 

So if you’re worried about data sharing I assume you do that with all your apps right....my man.  And tinfoil is really unbecoming. 

No, only the ones in which I have direct knowledge are doing this.  Uber and Lyft are two of those.  And believe me, it was at all feasible for me professionally, I would go back to the landline with an answering machine.  Ask any coder/software engineer worth anything what they think about all these smart devices.  Many of them develop them, but avoid using them as much as possible.

But, this is now gone off the rails.  Was just trying to educate regarding something that was shocking to me when I found out.  Do what you will with it.  I don't really give a sh*t.

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So if you’re worried about data sharing I assume you do that with all your apps right....my man.  And tinfoil is really unbecoming. 

Edited by Mark80

7 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

The naivety of what enormous corporations are doing collecting data and utilization of that data to influence your decisions is baffling to me....but whatever.  Its all rainbows, sunshine, and unicorns in your world I guess.  Cool.

like, are they sharing naked pictures of me?  i'm kinda curious to what people think.

28 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

No, only the ones in which I have direct knowledge are doing this.  Uber and Lyft are two of those.  And believe me, it was at all feasible for me professionally, I would go back to the landline with an answering machine.  Ask any coder/software engineer worth anything what they think about all these smart devices.  Many of them develop them, but avoid using them as much as possible.

But, this is now gone off the rails.  Was just trying to educate regarding something that was shocking to me when I found out.  Do what you will with it.  I don't really give a sh*t.

I’m more concerned about companies that data mine not just where I’m going but things I’ve searched for. Insurance carriers are purchasing this information to assist in underwriting. So be careful when you google “Do I have cancer?”  ?

27 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m more concerned about companies that data mine not just where I’m going but things I’ve searched for. Insurance carriers are purchasing this information to assist in underwriting. So be careful when you google “Do I have cancer?”  ?

wow, that i did not know!

I mean i always understood why all my click-through ads are either gambling or boobie related...hmm, prolly not good for insurance rates either

Edited by plenzmd1

34 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

wow, that i did not know!

I mean i always understood why all my click-through ads are either gambling or boobie related...hmm, prolly not good for insurance rates either

And from what I heard is that insurance carriers are taking a companies census and running it through data gathering companies like Lexisnexis to find out about their employees to determine their insurance rates.  I assume they are doing it for your individual insurance as well.  I know this has completely changed the direction of this thread and that's ok because this is scary ***** that most people had no idea was happening.  Why many companies pay part or all of your gym memberships or give you discounts.  Why they have "mandatory" exercise programs.  Big Brother is here folks.  

https://www.statnews.com/2018/07/18/health-insurers-personal-details-raise-rates/

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And from what I heard is that insurance carriers are taking a companies census and running it through data gathering companies like Lexisnexis to find out about their employees to determine their insurance rates.  I assume they are doing it for your individual insurance as well.  I know this has completely changed the direction of this thread and that's ok because this is scary ***** that most people had no idea was happening.  Why many companies pay part or all of your gym memberships or give you discounts.  Why they have "mandatory" exercise programs.  Big Brother is here folks.  

https://www.statnews.com/2018/07/18/health-insurers-personal-details-raise-rates/

that is one scary as fudge article. As we are getting nearer to having to wade into health insurance once we are done working..hopefully in a year or two..guess this could affect us. The weird thing is I would have so many contradictory pieces of info I would probably break their data set. Likes to gamble, bill at the Total Wine is WAY more than a normal person, downsized a house( have no clue why that is a risk factor) , colonscopies ever 3 years... but runs half ironmans and marathons and has not been ill in over a decade...hmm

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

that is one scary as fudge article. As we are getting nearer to having to wade into health insurance once we are done working..hopefully in a year or two..guess this could affect us. The weird thing is I would have so many contradictory pieces of info I would probably break their data set. Likes to gamble, bill at the Total Wine is WAY more than a normal person, downsized a house( have no clue why that is a risk factor) , colonscopies ever 3 years... but runs half ironmans and marathons and has not been ill in over a decade...hmm

Well insurance carriers are masters managing risk.   There is obviously data that shows people who have downsized are at a higher risk statistically of death or illness.  I would assume it's typically because it's usually people who are older that downsize.  What this will likely cause once this becomes mainstream knowledge is people not seeking help for things like depression or drug and alcohol abuse due to it now being on your record.  And that will be a HUGE problem.  For instance I had a client who was denied life insurance (or prohibitively expensive don't remember) because of being diagnosed for depression.  She said "I'm on meds for it!!"  Insurance carriers don't care.  The challenge is that people on depression meds think "hey, I'm cured!" and go off the meds only to slip into deeper depression when it returns and offing themselves. They don't realize they are not cured it was the meds reducing or eliminating the symptoms. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

You've gone too far this time, Mark.

Yeah, that's right. I know your name.

I'm one of them.

You think you'll educate the masses? You're efforts are as futile as the rest of the resistance. We'll exterminate you all.

We're coming for you, Mark.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

like, are they sharing naked pictures of me?  i'm kinda curious to what people think.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my only question is, "Were you in a cold pool right before these pics were taken?"

26 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

You've mistakenly assumed that your name is attached to that data....

The anonymous data collected simply helps determine their rates. Then, whatever specific information you give them (on the forms or questionnaires you fill out) is applied to calculate your personal rate.

17 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well insurance carriers are masters managing risk.   There is obviously data that shows people who have downsized are at a higher risk statistically of death or illness.  I would assume it's typically people who are older.  What this will likely cause once this becomes mainstream knowledge is people not seeking help for things like depression or drug and alcohol abuse due to it now being on your record.  And that will be a HUGE problem. 

It's anonymized data that goes into the big Data pool and then is organized and analyzed.

When it comes down to it, you're your own worst enemy. ?

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but my only question is, "Were you in a cold pool right before these pics were taken?"

the hard nipples always give it away?

Edited by teef

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

When I lived I Oakland they bought the old Sears building downtown and they were renovating it for their new headquarters and bringing in 3,000 jobs. It’s an area of Oakland that was up and coming. New upscale restaurants and bars. Well the construction stalled and I knew something was up. Yup they cancelled their project and sold the building for a hefty profit. So yeah ***** then. 

Of course, Oakland was probably gearing up for some big ‘evil employer’ tax on them.