Uber/Lyft

Chef Jim

Not sure this deserves it's own thread but I have 40,000 posts so ***** ya all.  I was taking Lyft (sorry I boycott Uber) to the airport a week or so ago.  For those that don't know I live in SoCal.  I'm talking with the guy and I detect a Canadian accent. So I ask "where are you from?" He says Toronto.  I said I'm from Buffalo.  He's about  my age (57) and says I loved the French Connection eh?  Well who didn't.  But what made me real homesick (and feel old) was when he said "I used to watch Commander Tom every afternoon!"  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Not sure this deserves it's own thread but I have 49,000 posts so ***** ya all.  I was taking Lyft (sorry I boycott Uber) to the airport a week or so ago.  For those that don't know I live in SoCal.  I'm talking with the guy and I detect a Canadian accent. So I ask "where are you from?" He says Toronto.  I said I'm from Buffalo.  He's about  my age (57) and says I loved the French Connection eh?  Well who didn't.  But what made me real homesick (and feel old) was when he said "I used to watch Commander Tom every afternoon!"  

Who didn’t get up and walk across the room the change to the third channel available, the one with Commander Tom? Children these days don’t know what they missed! 

Well, not much, but back then......it was GOLD! 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Oh we were lucky.  We had six channels because we were between Buffalo and Rochester.  ABC/CBS/NBC from each city.  I was my dad's remote.  

Not quite working on the farm, but it kept a young man fit! 

Did you title this Uber/Lyft to attract the younger crowd so you could confound them? Nice move! 

Uber and Lyft are well known in the Bay area software space to not be ride sharing companies.  They are data collection companies.  They take all the permissions you give them and collect as much data as they can about you.  Where you go, when you go, where you live, etc.  What they do with it, who knows?  But I'm guessing they are selling it to others.  All I know is that I download the app only when I need and then delete it immediately after I'm done.  Every time.

Edited by Mark80

3 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Uber and Lyft are well known in the Bay area software space to not be ride sharing companies.  They are data collection companies.  They take all the permissions you give them and collect as much data as they can about you.  Where you go, when you go, where you live, etc.  What they do with it, who knows?  But I'm guessing they are selling it to others.  All I know is that I download the app only when I need and then delete it immediately after I'm done.  Every time.

Meh....I’m usually not going anywhere that interesting.

Just now, KD in CA said:

Meh....I’m usually not going anywhere that interesting.

Maybe, but you very well may be giving them permission to your mic, camera, photos, etc.  To each their own, but I'm not a fan.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh we were lucky.  We had six channels because we were between Buffalo and Rochester.  ABC/CBS/NBC from each city.  I was my dad's remote.  

Yep, kids were the remotes before a remote ever existed...love it...

Just now, Mark80 said:

Maybe, but you very well may be giving them permission to your mic, camera, photos, etc.  To each their own, but I'm not a fan.

Probably, but there are half dozen devices at home already doing that.  I don’t have the energy to try to stop it all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Probably, but there are half dozen devices at home already doing that.  I don’t have the energy to try to stop it all.

That’s why I gave up and stopped wearing clothes when I go outside. Unless it’s to a restaurant, they can be picky about that health code stuff. But I don’t think the neighbors even talk about me any more.....

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

It amazes me that @Chef Jim would think any one gives a fig about his ride to airport. I got a feelin Chef told him which way to go, and drive gave him  ? , and said I ain’t need no stinkin advice! 

I don’t know.....it didn’t really seem to be about the ride. I think he may still have feelings for Commander Tom. I try not to judge. 

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

With your tin foil hat on, I bet you get an extra strong signal on that cell phone.

11 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Not sure this deserves it's own thread but I have 40,000 posts so ***** ya all.  I was taking Lyft (sorry I boycott Uber) to the airport a week or so ago.  For those that don't know I live in SoCal.  I'm talking with the guy and I detect a Canadian accent. So I ask "where are you from?" He says Toronto.  I said I'm from Buffalo.  He's about  my age (57) and says I loved the French Connection eh?  Well who didn't.  But what made me real homesick (and feel old) was when he said "I used to watch Commander Tom every afternoon!"  

Why, pray tell, do you boycott Uber?

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

i'm beyond that point too.  i have so many things that watch and listen to me.  hopefully they'll let me know when something interesting happens.  alexa already knows i suck.

• Haha (+1) 1