New episode of LOST tonight

duey

Anybody know anything about the writers? What other work have they done?

291920[/snapback]

JJ Abrahms who concieved the whole premise of the show and the head writer/Exec producer is a really talented guy (did Felicity, Alias, Armageddon, Joy Ride among other things).

Damon Lindelof, another head writer worked mainly on Crossing Jordan.

David Fury (who writes Locke, Hurley and Clair) worked on Angel for the most part.

Christian Taylor is young and did Six Feet Under

Paul Dini (who writes Charlie) has done a bunch of Cartoons (Batman, Superman, Tiny Toons etc)

Drew Goddard (who writes Kate) did mainly Alias and Angel shows

Lynne E. Litt did a bunch of Nash Bridges and Law and Orders...

I am not 100 percent sure on who they all write, I just heard Fury did Locke, Hurley and Clair's backstories and arcs and other writers did the rest of the main characters....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I get what you are saying (that Locke didn't have a choice...Boone was going to get hurt either way?)...

But I'm not sure that would work (if that's what you are saying). Only because the island (according to the dream) gave him a choice, either keep going or end up in the chair. So, Locke had the power to prevent Boone from being injured.  If he decided not to pursue the "hatch" any more, Boone wouldn't have been bloodied but Locke would have lost the use of his legs.

291921[/snapback]

I think you might be hung up on the issues of choice and having flashes of premonition. Boone can't be put in Tupperware for preservation. The visions are what happens. There's no way to change it, no matter how much Locke could piece together what it might mean. The plane had been there for a long time and Locke saw it flying in the air; how was Locke to know when exactly Boone's injuries would come? I think he started to realize that the time was now when the plane started moving and he started yelling for him to get out. And who says that Locke won't be in that chair in the time to come? If he saw it, then from the other things being true, I would think it happens. It's not a choice that Locke has, it's just the curse of being able to see the future w/o knowing the whole story of how, why or when the things happen.

That'd be a good twist.

When Locke's father was on the dialysis machine I started to get suspicious.  I actually thought what was going to happen was that on the hunting trip his father was going to shoot him to kill him to get his kidney - but end up paralyzing him instead.

291870[/snapback]

My wife & I thought that he would be paralyzed by the operation. Locke mentions that his back is shaved ... they take out kidneys now from the front, we thought it was going to be an operation mistake. But, we missed that ....

Okay, I do not read this if you do not want to know what was said on the radio when Boone tried calling back.

When Boone says they are survivors from flight Oceanic 815, the voice shoots back" there were no survivors on Oceanic flight 815"

Also, who else maybe think Locke becomes paralysed in operation that Jacks drunken old man does on Locke

291852[/snapback]

That is actually under debate right now. A lot of folks who have analyzed it are saying it was Boone's voice on the other end of the radio. It was not "there were no survivors" , it was "no were the surviviors" . It makes sense as it appeared the guy on the other end of the radio was just as surprised to hear from someone as Boone was to be talking to someone. A wrinkle in time. Just a popular theory out there now.

Actually, the writers have been saying that a major character's going to die toward the end of the season (not necessarily the finale) all along to anyone who'll listen. It doesn't give away anything. Just makes you wonder who it is and gets you asking yourself lots of questions to keep it in your head, and that's a great thing about the show. There's been a lot of smaller clues as to who it is and why they die, but I'd say it's not necessarily Boone. Jack looked determined in the preview for next week, and we all know what Jack can do when he's determined. Part of the whole Jack Shepard=looking after his flock=Christ reading I've been getting is that he raised Charlie from the dead = Lazarus.

I suppose that the supposition that Locke sacrificed Boone might be Abraham and Isaac, if I recall (I dare not pick up a Bible b/c I'd burst into flame :blink:)?

291890[/snapback]

If Locke/Boone = Abraham/Isaac, then the writers missed big time. Abraham never causes harm on Isaac in the Genesis account. He is willing, but never hurts him.

I think you might be hung up on the issues of choice and having flashes of premonition. Boone can't be put in Tupperware for preservation. The visions are what happens. There's no way to change it, no matter how much Locke could piece together what it might mean. The plane had been there for a long time and Locke saw it flying in the air; how was Locke to know when exactly Boone's injuries would come? I think he started to realize that the time was now when the plane started moving and he started yelling for him to get out. And who says that Locke won't be in that chair in the time to come? If he saw it, then from the other things being true, I would think it happens. It's not a choice that Locke has, it's just the curse of being able to see the future w/o knowing the whole story of how, why or when the things happen.

291953[/snapback]

Ah, I understand what you are saying now. But, see that's where we differ completley. :blink:

Locke isn't seeing the future, he never claimed he did. Like he said, the "island tells him what to do"...meaning it shows him how to get from point A to point B. If he was seeing the future, why would he "see" the plane crashing? It happened (by the show's account) 10 years before they even got on the island. Or, why would Boone be talking about his Nanny who died when he was 6? Both those events occured in the past . That's key. What they did was provide him with the tools he needed to complete/continue his quest.

Locke is not clairvoyant. The way the dream/vision was given to him, it was presenting him a choice: Find the plane and take Boone with you OR end up losing your legs. The fact that the "island" chose to show his mother (not his father) in the dream is signifigant too, his mother made a similiar choice (money over her son), whereas his father actually NEEDED the kidney to survive (not that it makes it any better). Lock doesn't need his legs to live, but he WANTS them, like his mother wanted the money...sacrifice one thing for another.

There is just far too much proof in the story that Locke consciously made a choice to think anything but, IMO.

Now, the island clearly sent him the message to go to the plane.  He thought it was to find something to open the hatch, but in actuality, the only thing that came out of going to the plane was Boone getting hurt.

291821[/snapback]

I disagree. Boone got on the radio and spoke with someone. Maybe the someone is in the hatch.

I think I get what you are saying (that Locke didn't have a choice...Boone was going to get hurt either way?)...

But I'm not sure that would work (if that's what you are saying). Only because the island (according to the dream) gave him a choice, either keep going or end up in the chair. So, Locke had the power to prevent Boone from being injured.  If he decided not to pursue the "hatch" any more, Boone wouldn't have been bloodied but Locke would have lost the use of his legs.

291921[/snapback]

Except he began to lose the use of his legs while pursuing the lead of the island. I don't see it fitting.

It's been obvious all along that the island was magic, but so far it seemed a neutral entity that reflected the people who were visiting it.  This is the first time I thought it might have its own agenda, and we now have 3 crashes into it (2 planes and a shipwreck).

291924[/snapback]

And whatever the hatch/pod is.

I don't know from the outside, but from what you'd imagine the inside would look like, did it look like the inside of Rousseau's dwelling where she took Sayid?

My whole yellow spoiler portion comes to mind. A Pacific Bermuda Triangle w/ weird magnetic forces (the Black Rock from the writings?) that pulls in passing craft....

This could be a minor spoiler:

The writers have said that part of the season finale will be looking back into the boarding of the plane and perhaps the cause of the crash. Some speculation that one ep will have scenes from the cargo hold through Vincent's (the dog) perspective.

Except he began to lose the use of his legs while pursuing the lead of the island.  I don't see it fitting.

291973[/snapback]

As Duey said earlier, it was a test of faith so to speak. He was losing his legs slowly the more he dragged his feet. He had to fulfil the plan the island set before him...ie Find the Plane and Sacrifice Boone. As soon as both those things were accomplished, his legs were restored.

That is a fact you can't overlook either. His legs returned as soon as the plane fell...

Ah, I understand what you are saying now. But, see that's where we differ completley. :blink:

Locke isn't seeing the future, he never claimed he did. Like he said, the "island tells him what to do"...meaning it shows him how to get from point A to point B. If he was seeing the future, why would he "see" the plane crashing? It happened (by the show's account) 10 years before they even got on the island. Or, why would Boone be talking about his Nanny who died when he was 6? Both those events occured in the past . That's key. What they did was provide him with the tools he needed to complete/continue his quest.

Locke is not clairvoyant. The way the dream/vision was given to him, it was presenting him a choice: Find the plane and take Boone with you OR end up losing your legs. The fact that the "island" chose to show his mother (not his father) in the dream is signifigant too, his mother made a similiar choice (money over her son), whereas his father actually NEEDED the kidney to survive (not that it makes it any better). Lock doesn't need his legs to live, but he WANTS them, like his mother wanted the money...sacrifice one thing for another.

There is just far too much proof in the story that Locke consciously made a choice to think anything but, IMO.

291970[/snapback]

I erred by saying "sees the future" versus sees what happens tho it's impossible for him to know it in real life. You could well be right whether it was a choice. I'd almost be accepting of it, b/c as I said before I'm no Locke Apologist. The scene where Locke arrives early-early in the morning to go to the hatch (darkness=evil) has me open to the suggestion. Something that would make it easier that I can't remember b/c I wasn't looking for it and I hope someone has Tivo or remembers... In Locke's dream scene, did it flash repeatedly back and forth b/w Boone being bloody and not? I'm not even sure whether I saw this.

I erred by saying "sees the future" versus sees what happens tho it's impossible for him to know it in real life. You could well be right whether it was a choice. I'd almost be accepting of it, b/c as I said before I'm no Locke Apologist. The scene where Locke arrives early-early in the morning to go to the hatch (darkness=evil) has me open to the suggestion. Something that would make it easier that I can't remember b/c I wasn't looking for it and I hope someone has Tivo or remembers... In Locke's dream scene, did it flash repeatedly back and forth b/w Boone being bloody and not? I'm not even sure whether I saw this.

291993[/snapback]

Yes it did flash back between normal/bloody Boone...at the same time Locke was flashing between being in the chair and not.

Hmm.

292023[/snapback]

Correction: Boone does flash between being normal and being bloody (once) but Locke never flashes in and out of the chair (he is out of the chair, boon turns from normal to bloody then he is in the chair).

And Locke says (as he is falling out of the chair) "Don't take it away".

If Locke/Boone = Abraham/Isaac, then the writers missed big time.  Abraham never causes harm on Isaac in the Genesis account.  He is willing, but never hurts him.

291969[/snapback]

And God provides Abraham with a ram to sacrifice instead. Isaac then goes on to be the father of the Jewish race. Isaac has a half-brother Ismael who is said to be the father of the Arab race.

What this means in regards to LOST I have no idea... :blink:

Thats what makes this show great is that there can be so many variations of plot progression.  I just try and keep an open mind and not assume I am a "lost writer" :blink:

292032[/snapback]

True. But sometimes there is overwhelming evidence pointing to one answer... :D

opinions are like.....ah well you get it :blink:

292037[/snapback]

:D

And I'm a big one... ;)

I'm not trying to be argumentive though, I just love talking about story stuff. A good movie/tv show can be just like a good book. Lots of ways to interpret analyze it to make it more fun or you can just enjoy the show. There is no right or wrong way about it. It's whatever works best for you.

:blink:

And I'm a big one...  :D

I'm not trying to be argumentive though, I just love talking about story stuff. A good movie/tv show can be just like a good book. Lots of ways to interpret analyze it to make it more fun or you can just enjoy the show. There is no right or wrong way about it. It's whatever works best for you.

292042[/snapback]

And I'm not either, just think that there may be more than one explantion for all that transpires. I too, enjoy talking about the show. Glad we have a great place like tbd that we can do it in.