New episode of LOST tonight

duey

I was talking about his mum and dad conning him into getting a kidney for the taking after having invested a lot of lying and a few quail-hunting walks. I agree somewhat w/ how Locke's been on the island; probably learned his lesson. But I think he's also trying to not be like his father. He has given, (ie the baby crib, helping Charlie) rather than just taking what he needs and leaving.

Don't know about that. He obviously saw Bloody Boone, but that doesn't mean that he knew when that would happen. Happened really quick and he didn't know right away, he was searching around for the answer, it wasn't delivered to him in epiphany. The visions were just that; didn't lead to a specific place that he knew beforehand. The plane falling didn't seem that he was expecting or wanted it to happen, and he was screaming for Boone to get out.  And this is not coming from a Locke apologist, don't you know.

291634[/snapback]

Let's also remember that the island showed Boone his sister's death, and Locke knew that (not to mention Jack's dad). So not all the island visions come true. Also, Locke's dream with the plane, his mother, the wheelchair, and bloody Boone definitely didn't make it seem like the choice was between the wheelchair and sacrificing Boone.

It has occured to me, though, that the island might be evil and is basically turning Locke by giving him gifts that it will threaten to take away.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there been a better TV character in the last 20 years than John Locke?

291656[/snapback]

He's up there. But just for fun:

Tony Soprano

Jack Bauer

Homer Simpson

Hawkeye Pierce

George Costanza/Larry David

I dunno, I am sure there are others.

It has occured to me, though, that the island might be evil and is basically turning Locke by giving him gifts that it will threaten to take away.

291660[/snapback]

Yeah.... Yeah.

The oft-forgotten story development of setting is definitely in play, and not just as soil, rocks and trees.

----------

And Hawkeye Pierce (mostly b/c of his new stint on West Wing as an awesome Republican candidate) and Kramer were the two I immediately flashed on as well.

Also, Locke's dream with the plane, his mother, the wheelchair, and bloody Boone definitely didn't make it seem like the choice was between the wheelchair and sacrificing Boone.

291660[/snapback]

Do you mean it "did" make it clear?

Because that was one of the big clues showing that Locke was knowingly sacrificing Boone for himself...

TGREG WROTE

The visions dealt with openning the box. He knew that Boone becoming injured would have to occur (just like finding the plane -- he new the direction to look -- and using the name of Boone's nanny to get him to go on).

Sure, he yelled and told Boone to get out...I'm not saying he didn't have a moment of doubt. But the fact remains, had he really wanted to prevent Boone from being injured, he would have stopped his quest. But in the end, his quest was more important to him than Boone.

Dude, your leap is too far! The bloodied Boone dream had no reference whatsoever to when or where. He was questing to open that hatch before the boone dream, the conclusion was that he saw a plane crashing, his mother pointing in that direction, and then a bloddied boone saying..."up the stairs, down the stairs" whatever. One can draw many conclusion from that. Locke wanted to open the hatch, that's it.

Dude, your leap is too far!  The bloodied Boone dream had no reference whatsoever to when or where.  He was questing to open that hatch before the boone dream, the conclusion was that he saw a plane crashing, his mother pointing in that direction, and then a bloddied boone saying..."up the stairs, down the stairs" whatever.  One can draw many conclusion from that.  Locke wanted to open the hatch, that's it.

291683[/snapback]

I completely agree. I think Locke just felt like he needed to go there and that's it. For all he knew he was preventing a bloodied Boone by going to the plane wreckage.

I just don't want Locke to be evil. It would just be too predictable.

The hatch isn't exactly what I thought it would be (which was "part of a plane"). It looked kind of like a pod or a panic room. What would have glass that's that strong?

291700[/snapback]

A vehicle designed for space travel? Either that or something alien.

I've heard that in a few places.  Just at a guess I'd say:

Jack (Most unexpected.  Suddenly it's the Kate & Sawyer story.)

Walt (I'd expect him to die and then come back to life somehow.  Something to do with his link to what's going on with the island.)

Jin (To get him out of the way so Michael and Sun can get together.)

Charlie (Since he's kind of a legitimate actor he might not want to stick around on a TV show.  Although I would have thought if he were going to die he would have died on the tree and why I was so convinced he WAS dead at the time.)

But I'm sure I'm totally off on all of these thoughts.  It'll be someone that nobody expects.

290993[/snapback]

The National Enquirer this past week leaked out which major character was going to die in the finale, does anybody want to know? Don't want to spoil it for anybody

To say Locke didn't knowingly sacrifice Boone is too short sighted for you. Locke said several times during the episode that the "island would tell" him. It had told him before and he did as it asked. Once he dreamed of Boone and the plane, he knew what was to come. Maybe not the specifics, but he knew that in order for him to find the answer, Boone would have to be injured. So, if he really cared about Boone more than himself, he wouldn't have pursued it...sounds awfully sacrifical to me.

Besides, it parrells the back story perfectly...too much so for it not to be the case.

291627[/snapback]

If he was "sacrificing" Boone as you say, why would he scream at him repeatedly to get out of the plane. Locke had the dream which layed out a basic outline of what he thought he needed to do to complete his task. In the dream Boone is talking about his for Nanny falling and he is bloody then not bloody. So you are saying Locke fully understood the dream and what would happen? He knew there was nothing on the plane that would help? What about the fact the plane had a radio that Boone got a transmission out on to somebody? I think you are overlooking an awful lot just to make your theory conform.

Unbelievable episode.  The rest of the season is going to be one hell of a ride.  Locke's story is so unbelievably tragic.  I have a feeling he tried to kill himself, and that's how he was paralyzed.

I think Boone lives...the island is not going to take him...yet?

Good stuff between Jack and Sawyer.

I'm already dying for next weeks episode!

291560[/snapback]

my guess is that 4 years ago, Locke's vehicle crashed head on in Australia by the Navy guy who first acquired the numbers.

Just thought I'd mention this, not really important. But in the first scene in the toy store, when his Mom asks him where the footaballs are.

Regulation aisle 8, nerf aisle 15. 815

Now, gotta really figure out why the 815 is so central to this show.

I don't think Locke is evil at all, though it is clear that the opening the hatch is becoming a complete obsession with him. At first, I thought he went back into the woods and was crying about Boone, but he was actually crying in frustration over not being able to get the hatch open.

Now, the island clearly sent him the message to go to the plane. He thought it was to find something to open the hatch, but in actuality, the only thing that came out of going to the plane was Boone getting hurt. I think this whole thing was a test of Locke's faith in the island. It was clear that the island was taking away his ability to walk, and that his willingness to do anything to get inside the plane was the trade off. He would have been the one to go into the plane had he been able to walk, so instead, he had to send Boone (and yes, I think he understood that Boone might come to some harm in the journey). Once all that was accomplished, the island obviously fixed his legs again (he carried Boone all the way back to camp), and took the hatch/pod thing to a new level (the light). The island tested Locke's loyalty...and he passed (with Boone as the sacrifice).

Now...what the hell is that thing? I have to guess that this whole thing may have a Planet of the Apes (or Stephen King Dark Tower) twist...something along the lines of either civilization has moved on, or the parallel universe thing.

Just thought I'd mention this, not really important. But in the first scene in the toy store, when his Mom asks him where the footaballs are.

Regulation aisle 8, nerf aisle 15. 815

Now, gotta really figure out why the 815 is so central to this show.

291805[/snapback]

Nice catch.

what was it that the voice on the radio said about the flight number?  I Tivo'd it, but I couln't make out what he was saying

291599[/snapback]

I watched last night with captioning on... the voice on the radio said that "...no one survived Oceanic Flight 815". Not that they had accounted for all the survivors or were unable to located the flight.

SO are they dead?

Or is it a trick by the "others" that Danielle warned Sayid about?