Antonio Brown trade may be happening today, announcing team soon: UPDATE: TRADED to Raiders

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Perhaps the fact that he's an attention seeking moron and probably loves the idea of living in Vegas and Nevada has no income tax...

Why do people keep mentioning the ‘no income tax’ thing?  It’s a non-issue!

NFL players pay income tax in each state they play, which, for the Raiders in 2019, are California, Colorado, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and New Jersey.  They get a break on the Houston game cause Texas has no income tax.

The Raiders are not playing in Nevada until 2020, unless they play in a 50 year old 36,000 seat decrepit college stadium that they’ll have to share with UNLV.

By 2020, Brown will once again prove himself a total asshead and the Raiders will be looking to dump him.

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I agree with the bolded. If you don't have a QB and coach, nothing else matters. The following sentence you wrote: "that doesn't mean that's all you need", that's where this discussion comes in. What ELSE do you need to give the coach and QB a better chance at sustained success? 

I'm not convinced that once you get the coach and QB, you're ready to roll. If you want a shot at multiple titles with your coach/QB combo, you'd better have some more around them.

Dan Fouts and Don Coryell = 0 championships

Dan Marino and Don Shula = 0 championships

Philip Rivers and multiple coaches, including Marty Schottenheimer = 0 championships

Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy = 1 championship

In three out of the four instances mentioned above, defense was usually lacking. So we know that that's a need as well.

Simplified, I would say that a coach, QB, and at least reasonably good defense gives you a shot every year. We also know, as discussed, that you've got to protect the QB. I don't think his weaponry is as important. If you have a truly excellent QB, he'll make do with average to slightly above average receivers. You probably can't consistently roll out a WR/TE depth chart as bad as what the Bills had last year. But even that, with better protection, might have been sufficient. As it was, we saw the Bills averaging nearly 24 points per game by the end of the season.

This is what's so interesting about football: There isn't just one right answer. I mean, yes, "coach and QB". But after that? Teams have done it lots of different ways, and the ongoing strategic evolution discussed in earlier posts means the roster building strategy is always changing.

Doug Whaley once made a quote that I wish I could remember in its entirety, because I liked it. It was something along the lines of: Beyond QB, you need and can afford to pay about 6-8 high quality, important players. Where you spend those dollars and on what positions is up to you. I'd say the Bills have some of their 6-8 already. Tre'Davious White, Matt Milano, Tremaine Edmunds, Dion Dawkins. More are needed, obviously, so it's a critical offseason, as everybody already knows.

Damn. Just typed along response to this on my tablet and it disappeared. 

I think we are saying that same thing.  Only coach and QB are essential to winning. You need a lot of other talent but no other position is essential.

Whaley said you can afford only six high end players.  They need to be qb, LT and one skill player on offense,  edge rusher, corner and one other defender.  I don't believe there is a formula like that.  You need a qb and quality players, but a good coach will figure out how to make it work.  Yes you need oline, but that doesn't mean you must have a top LT.  A good coach can do it in other ways, as long as the total talent on the oline is good enough.  

Whaley thought he had is six.  Actually seven. Taylor, Glenn, Watkins and Shady.  Hughes, Gilmore and Dareus.  He was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I think we are saying that same thing.  Only coach and QB are essential to winning. You need a lot of other talent but no other position is essential.

Whaley said you can afford only six high end players.  They need to be qb, LT and one skill player on offense,  edge rusher, corner and one other defender.  I don't believe there is a formula like that.  You need a qb and quality players, but a good coach will figure out how to make it work.  Yes you need oline, but that doesn't mean you must have a top LT.  A good coach can do it in other ways, as long as the total talent on the oline is good enough.  

Whaley thought he had is six.  Actually seven. Taylor, Glenn, Watkins and Shady.  Hughes, Gilmore and Dareus.  He was wrong.

Yep. I agree with this idea. I think it's about scheme as much as anything else. You check two boxes and then you figure the rest out. 

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And going back to the original "coach and QB" point, it seems likely that Whaley was missing BOTH of those things, thus causing the rest of the names mentioned not to matter.

It also points out that collecting talent is not the same as building a team. Think of the character/motivation of guys like Dareus, Watkins, and Glenn. Not exactly "team first" guys by most accounts.

Just now, whatdrought said:

Do the players ever actually know before the news breaks?

Its possible they hear from their agent or another player (who heard from the agent) but I doubt the team fills them in unless they’re a veteran franchise QB.

6 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Wish he would have added a note about being a great season with the Bills.  You don't think he's getting traded do you?

Nope 

25 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No.. Gullible fans eat these tweets up though

I actually take a little bit of offense to “gullible fan.” You can call me a lot of things but “gullible fan” is far from it.