TJ Lang released

I'd take him. The reality is that about 60% of the OL free agents on the street next week would be upgrades on our line. I am fine spending big on one or two and then getting a couple of deals like this guy. 

I think we can realistically build a starting 5 (including Teller and Dawkins) in FA and then spend the draft looking for skill players and rounding off our defense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lang, Williams, and Paradis/Morse is my dream free agent shopping list so far. If I am entering further into dream world, give me Jesse James, Devin Funchess, and TY Yeldon. Yeldon as a backup RB to spell Ivory and split with a, hopefully, rookie drafted RB. Funchess as a 2-4 receiver. Jesse James as a 2 TE. Go into the draft with your needs on offense as WR, TE, backup OL, RB in that order. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Lang, Williams, and Paradis/Morse is my dream free agent shopping list so far. If I am entering further into dream world, give me Jesse James, Devin Funchess, and TY Yeldon. Yeldon as a backup RB to spell Ivory and split with a, hopefully, rookie drafted RB. Funchess as a 2-4 receiver. Jesse James as a 2 TE. Go into the draft with your needs on offense as WR, TE, backup OL, RB in that order. 

Funchess?  Ehhhhh. He’s be in my nightmare world.  Happy with the rest of your world though!

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Funchess?  Ehhhhh. He’s be in my nightmare world.  Happy with the rest of your world though!

Oh he is far from my ideal receiver. But the free agent crop of WR’s this year is trash, and Williams, the best of the worst, is likely signing with the colts. I really don’t want to overpay for a completely average WR, but we definitely need a veteran in here. With the Carolina connection I believe Funchess will be that veteran. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I'd take him. The reality is that about 60% of the OL free agents on the street next week would be upgrades on our line. I am fine spending big on one or two and then getting a couple of deals like this guy. 

I think we can realistically build a starting 5 (including Teller and Dawkins) in FA and then spend the draft looking for skill players and rounding off our defense. 

I'd still like to pick up at least one OL guy in the draft if the value is there; whether it's the first two rounds or 3-5 for sleeper/depth pick consideration. Filling all our OL woes with seasoned vets is fine for the near future, but we'll quickly find ourselves in the same problem if we don't also compensate with youth and draft picks.

The obvious exception being younger FA signings like D Williams at 26 and the like, though the same argument would still apply in time as you get closer to 30+

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

At least 70%.

17 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Oh he is far from my ideal receiver. But the free agent crop of WR’s this year is trash, and Williams, the best of the worst, is likely signing with the colts. I really don’t want to overpay for a completely average WR, but we definitely need a veteran in here. With the Carolina connection I believe Funchess will be that veteran. 

I know everyone is up on Humphries and T Williams, but I'm of the minority that doesn't see the upside for either, especially for what they would cost. I'm also in the now minority thinking Funchess would be one of the only FA WRs remotely worth what he likely could be had for (to clarify, Funchess still has a price tag for me that I wouldn't go over per his recent season - right around the 5-6 mil mark, which I know is too high for many on here). Cobb, Garcon, Moncrief and the like may end up commanding too much for their worth, and Funchess might fall in that fold as well. The argument for any of them being the veteran presence in an otherwise young corps (don't dislike the guy, but I don't personally think Deonte Thompson is that current veteran role guy to have).

But I'm still for taking a chance on Funchess to help round out the corps and compete for options in an otherwise meh WR FA pool overall. Given our cap cushion though, we're likely more comfortable making higher offers regardless so much of this opinion will likely end up a moot point. ?‍♂️

Edited by ctk232

I'd want to be sure of his health.  He missed 10 games last season.  He's 31.  Some guards can play into their mid 30s or so, but some have trouble keeping their bodies in one piece.

• Like (+1) 1