(LAMP) Headed to Nashville

BRH

Leave for Nashville tonight on a bidness trip; return Saturday. No hockey, AAA baseball hasn't started yet, SEC basketball is over, etc. I'm staying in the downtown Hilton by the Country Music Hall of Fame but I hate country music.

What are the fun things to do in Nashville at night that don't involve country music? I'll hit BB King's for sure. Anyone here familiar with the area?

Thanks!

I guess I am to infer from the lack of response that unless you like country music, there's !@#$-all to do in Nashville?  :doh:

290853[/snapback]

Lot's of bars on Broadway and 2nd avenue that have live music playing for free, and not all of it is necessarily country. Tootsie's is the most famous of these bars, because it is right behind the Ryman auditorium where the grand old opry used to be. Musicians would go to Tootsies and jam all night after their set at the opry. Now it's a place where famous musicians go to jam after their concerts in nashville. Even if you don't like country music (which I don't either), it is a still an enjoyable place to go and a must see if you're in nashville.

Printer's alley is a few blocks away from the main strip of downtown and that has a pretty good blues bar, I think it's called bourbon street blues bar or something like that.

Also, outside of the downtown area near the airport is the opryland hotel, which is the largest hotel in north america outside of las vegas. More of a touristy trap type place, but you still walk around it for free just to say you've seen it.

There are also a lot of pseudo hipster/trendy places around the neighborhood where vanderbilt university is, if you are in to that sort of thing.

Also recommend drivng down music row, which is three or four block stretch of a street with all recording studios and music publishing companies.

I guess I am to infer from the lack of response that unless you like country music, there's !@#$-all to do in Nashville?  :doh:

290853[/snapback]

Just a friendly point - I used to live in Rochester. When we decided to move to Nashville - I had all kinds of stereotypes and perceptions about visiting and living in the South. Every one of those thoughts has been blown out of the water. Nashville isn't Hee-Haw.

So I'd recommend coming with an open mind.

When you get here pick up a copy of the Scene or the Rage (free) at the Hotel.

Nashville is home to all kinds of music. Although what you hear on country radio isn't the best of what Nashville has to offer. So eventhough you "hate country music", I really would recommend visiting the Country Music Hall of Fame if you're interested in any kind of history.

You said you'd go to BB Kings - Friday nights is a good time to go - cause a guy by the name of Billy Blocks hosts a show case there on Fridays that has good people performing. Also, I think First Fridays there is Girls Band night. So you may be in luck ;-)

The Second Ave strip(where BB Kings is located) is where the tourist traps are. The shops and clubs are fun to visit but really nothing special.

I'd take a walk down Broadway to Tootsie's Lounge to hear some balls to the wall honky tonk country (eventhough you hate it) just to hear what roots music sounds like. Again, this isn't the Top 40 Country Radio fare - this place is a legend. It's where guys like Hank Williams and Willie Nelson used to hang out before they took to the Opry Stage at the Ryman Auditorium. I'd recommend checking out the Ryman - it's a real cool building.

If you like blues, the Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar is a better bet than BB Kings. Tomorrow night (Weds.& Thurs) _ Stacy Michart plays. This band rocks. Check em out.

The Wooten Bros., funkiest, coolest band in town plays 3rd & Lindsley Weds night as well.

If you like bluegrass - the Station Inn is a legendary venue. Check them out any night.

If you like alt rock/pop - the Exit/In is another legendary rock club. On Thurs. night, Be Your Own Pet, one of the hottest rock bands in the country is playing there. Go see em if you can get tickets. BTW, they're still in high school.

Your visit would not be complete if you didn't visit the legendary Bluebird Cafe and listen to some singer/songwriter types. Beth Nielsen Chapman and Melissa Manchester play there Thurs. night.

One of the best restaurants on the planet - Zola's is off West End Ave. They do kind of a French/Mediterrenean/Fusion cuisine thing. Eat there some night. You really need reservations.

Can you tell me what you're into and I can make more recommendations. Feel free to PM.

Charles

Link to the Nashville Scene Music Listings:

Nashville Music Listings

Just a friendly point - I used to live in Rochester.  When we decided to move to Nashville - I had all kinds of stereotypes and perceptions about visiting and living in the South.  Every one of those thoughts has been blown out of the water.  Nashville isn't Hee-Haw.

I would have to agree with that statement wholeheartedly. My father took a job there about three years ago and we had the same doubts about moving to "the South". One weekend visit changed my mind completely. Now I am still stuck in Buffalo and wish I could be in Nashville with them.

This is outstanding stuff. Thanks! Think I've got enough to go on for now.

And sorry for the hating on country. I'm sure it'll be better than I think. When in Rome and all that, you know. I even liked soccer when I was in Europe so I'm sure country will grow on me in Nashville. :doh:

This is outstanding stuff.  Thanks!  Think I've got enough to go on for now.

And sorry for the hating on country.  I'm sure it'll be better than I think.  When in Rome and all that, you know.  I even liked soccer when I was in Europe so I'm sure country will grow on me in Nashville.  :doh:

290942[/snapback]

Again, BRH - if you like something specific, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Spring is a great time to visit NashVegas.

If you're into parks etc. Jump into a cab in the day time and head out to Centennial Park and take a look at the Parthenon. If you're into plants, trees & flowers - there's Cheekwood Gardens on the west side. I'm not a flower growy kind of guy. But Cheekwood is one of the most amazing botanical gardens in the Southeast or anywhere in the country for the matter.

As for the country thing, you should feel free to hate country. But there's "good country" and "bad country" and sometimes stuff that "just isn't country being passed off as country." Just make sure you know what you're listening to before you decide.

Enjoy!

Charles

I worked on a contract with the Nashville Metro Police for a while a few years back. The city people are very friendly. The food is good and the people in your office there will direct you to some nice places to eat and hang out. They have a lot of clubs and action downtown. Plus they have local papers in the hotel lobby that will fill you in on who's in town at the live clubs. You'll do fine !