Moving to Salt Lake City in May

ColdFront_USAF

After two years overseas it looks like I'll be stationed about 30 minutes from Salt Lake City, Utah in a couple of months. Are there any Bills fans out there who could point me to some backers bars?

Some google searches told me of a few but the biggest one seams to have closed down. It would be nice to be around Bills fans again!

Also, for anyone that lives there or has lived there, any recommendations on stuff to do in the area? Looks like I will probably be living in Ogden.  Thanks for any suggestions!

If you're into skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, climbing and mountaineering, there is a lot of that near Salt Lake City.  I was just at Snowbird skiing and snowboarding a couple of weeks ago and it is fantastic.  It is a nice area from what I saw, and the locals I talked to were all nice and liked living there.  The only real downside I could see is that since SLC is in a valley and surrounded by mountains, there can be a smog problem as the air can't always escape easily.  Good luck.

I'm not alone in this statement, but that city just gives me the heebie-jeebies. I've been thru there a few times. I can't pinpoint it, but there's just a weird vibe going thru that city. A few others have told me that too. There is good skiing though...and reduced alcohol %'d beer (3.2%). I found this...a couple SLC comments.  

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/1962895-cities-weird-eerie-vibe-5.html

Edited by 707BillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I'm not alone in this statement, but that city just gives me the heebie-jeebies. I've been thru there a few times. I can't pinpoint it, but there's just a weird vibe going thru that city. A few others have told me that too. There is good skiing though...and reduced alcohol %'d beer (3.2%). I found this...a couple SLC comments.  

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/1962895-cities-weird-eerie-vibe-5.html

This is years ago, but after flying In we drove around downtown just looking for anywhere to get some lunch. Apparently that didn’t exist. Places that used to be restaurants were boarded up. It was weird. We finally pulled into a hotel (Marriott?), thinking they had to have a restaurant, which they did. We got lunch, and took off for Park City which was more normal (but still with funky alcohol laws). 

• Like (+1) 1

The housing is a little strange.  LOTS of storage & pantry space because of the religious culture.  Don't expect to find any type of bar space either.   Other than that, pretty much OK!

Lived next door to a Mormon family once.  Nice people, big family, but they used their bar, in the family room, as a baby changing station.  

19 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The housing is a little strange.  LOTS of storage & pantry space because of the religious culture.  Don't expect to find any type of bar space either.   Other than that, pretty much OK!

Lived next door to a Mormon family once.  Nice people, big family, but they used their bar, in the family room, as a baby changing station.  

I was in 8th grade and went with the family for a week of vacation. Most of my friends were 1-2 years older where we lived. While I was gone there was an incident involving vodka. Doug, Tom and their Mormon family had packed up and moved to Utah in a matter of days. Not judging that, but it was amazing how fast they cleared out. I never saw them again. 

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

If you're into skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, climbing and mountaineering, there is a lot of that near Salt Lake City.  I was just at Snowbird skiing and snowboarding a couple of weeks ago and it is fantastic.  It is a nice area from what I saw, and the locals I talked to were all nice and liked living there.  The only real downside I could see is that since SLC is in a valley and surrounded by mountains, there can be a smog problem as the air can't always escape easily.  Good luck.

Awesome! Grew up skiing in Buffalo but haven't been able to in years. I'm excited to get back into it!

6 hours ago, mead107 said:

In the Air Force. Thank you for your service. 

Must be some fans in that area.  

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m zero help, but I can tell you Park City is a great little getaway! Best wishes on the move and settling in. 

Thanks both of you!

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m zero help, but I can tell you Park City is a great little getaway! Best wishes on the move and settling in. 

I lived in Park City from '84 to '90 and again with my wife from 2000 to 06. Skied and mountain biked all the time. Was a ski bum in the 80s bartending and waiting tables at night after skiing in the day. Brought my wife there on a vacation in 2000. Ended up reconnecting with a lot of old friends and moved back to manage a friend's restaurant and ski 6 more years. I loved it and have so many great memories. Money has changed the town so much but I still have a lot of friends there and I am glad I got to be there when it was still relatively undiscovered in the 80s. Check out the National Parks in southern Utah, especially in the spring. They are incredible.

Edited by Turk71
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I was in 8th grade and went with the family for a week of vacation. Most of my friends were 1-2 years older where we lived. While I was gone there was an incident involving vodka. Doug, Tom and their Mormon family had packed up and moved to Utah in a matter of days. Not judging that, but it was amazing how fast they cleared out. I never saw them again. 

Once worked with a guy that was Mormon.  They don't drink but he had an awful lot of "colds," and used to hit the NyQuil pretty hard.  I'm bowing my head, as I type this.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Once worked with a guy that was Mormon.  They don't drink but he had an awful lot of "colds," and used to hit the NyQuil pretty hard.  I'm bowing my head, as I type this.

Out of shame, or are you just beginning Mass?  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

15 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

After two years overseas it looks like I'll be stationed about 30 minutes from Salt Lake City, Utah in a couple of months. Are there any Bills fans out there who could point me to some backers bars?

Some google searches told me of a few but the biggest one seams to have closed down. It would be nice to be around Bills fans again!

Also, for anyone that lives there or has lived there, any recommendations on stuff to do in the area? Looks like I will probably be living in Ogden.  Thanks for any suggestions!

1) Find the local state-run liquor store and note it on your GPS. 
2) Park City is where the heathens live. (That is an exact quote from someone in my husband's company when we were looking for a place to live in the area.)
3) The Utah Jazz are a HUGE draw. Stay away from the area when they have a home game.
4) Lots and lots and lots of "nature" stuff to do. The Great Salt Lake stinks to high heavens in the summer (and doesn't smell too good in spring or fall either). You can learn to dive in it (it is totally dark). As mentioned, the national parks are beautiful (even to a slug like me). And the Utah license plate says "greatest snow on earth" - skiing, snowboarding, etc are fantastic. 
5) The people in Utah are generally very nice. However, Salt Lake City is definitely not a great party town. The outlying areas, even less so. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

15 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Having lived all over the USA, for the past 50 years, I can tell you one thing....BILLS fans like to drink!  Most for social enjoyment, some for anesthetic!  Can't imagine a successful BILLS BAR in the area.  In fact, If you're a drinker, stock up, and BYO before moving there.  State liquor stores are generally bad, but a state store in UTAH??  Don't know what your on base options will be but maybe that would be best?

Hill AF base is near Ogden, a nice mountain college town with 27000 students at Weber State Univ.. Right in the morning shadow of the Wasatch mts. they have public transport to amazing cross country skiing and two world class ski resorts, Powder Mt and Snowbasin. In the summer hiking biking and fishing opportunities abound. The town itself has a lot of historical buildings as it is the first permanent non native settlement in Utah, 1846. The views from Main st are spectacular. The town has a population of around 90000 but the outlying metro area is around 500000 and basically adjoins the SLC metro area. Has a relatively low cost of living and has plenty of restaurants, bars, and live music. If you like the outdoors right next to a nice small city you will probably like it there. Was rated #7 on Forbes best places to raise a family.

33 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Having lived all over the USA, for the past 50 years, I can tell you one thing....BILLS fans like to drink!  Most for social enjoyment, some for anesthetic!  Can't imagine a successful BILLS BAR in the area.  In fact, If you're a drinker, stock up, and BYO before moving there.  State liquor stores are generally bad, but a state store in UTAH??  Don't know what your on base options will be but maybe that would be best?

Green Pig Pub in downtown SLC is the only Billsbacker bar that I know of in the area. You don't need to bring your own booze, the state liquor stores have a huge selection and the prices are comparable if not cheaper than other places. Beer is only 3.2 in places with no liquor license. A lot has changed in the last 10 to 20 years or since the last time Marv was there evidently.

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I remember when the NBA moved the New Orleans Jazz to Salt Lake City, late 70's.  Always thought someone should have changed that team name.  Jazz was a good fit for new Orleans but maybe not so much for Salt Lake City?

Back in 85 86 I was a bartender on Main St Park City. Jazz coach Frank Layden was an afternoon regular in the off-season. He would come in with Lou Hudson from Atl Hawks fame and they would sit at my bar, have lunch and beer, and talk ball. Had a lot of great conversations with those guys. Frank had a great Brooklyn sense of humor.