Talking on the Phone

Ice bowl 67

In the days of texting does anyone else hate when certain people call you everyday? My parents call everyday and it gets annoying. I just text them back cause there is nothing to talk about when someone calls everyday. I just return the phone call 5 days later as Once a week sitting on the phone for 45 minutes is good enough for me. I hate sitting on the phone. I would rather see the person face to face and visit. Anyone else like this?

Edited by Ice bowl 67

40 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

In the days of texting does anyone else hate when certain people call you everyday? My parents call everyday and it gets annoying. I just text them back cause there is nothing to talk about when someone calls everyday. I just return the phone call 5 days later as Once a week sitting on the phone for 45 minutes is good enough for me. I hate sitting on the phone. I would rather see the person face to face and visit. Anyone else like this?

They probably wanted to offer mattress cleaning advice. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Senator said:

I screen calls.  Everyone does.

My dad is 92, my mom passed away 3 weeks ago.  I NEVER screened their calls.  Imagine if there was an emergency, or a death.

I"m sorry for your loss, Senator.

I am not a fan of talking on the phone.  But I call my mom every night and, like you, my parents' calls are usually the only ones I don't screen.

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

My dad is 92, my mom passed away 3 weeks ago.  I NEVER screened their calls.  Imagine if there was an emergency, or a death.

So sorry for your loss, and especially feeling for your dad. That must be really tough. 

My mom is 91 and lives about 9 miles from us (after moving up from Florida). She’s only about a mile from my nieces, but maybe 800 miles from my sister. The sister has asked for a morning email each day for updates.....and to know she made it through the night. Where she lives, it’s not uncommon for people to NOT make it through the night. If we don’t get the email, I give her a call, fully expecting it to be a reminder to send the email (hey, she’s 91 and forgets stuff!). But I take nothing for granted. I get her to lunch and take hew shopping every week (even though they have transportation for this purpose...but what a hassle with all these ole people on walkers and in wheelchairs taking the bus to go shopping. It’s more about getting together. I remember when our last dog died and my son was stunned and said “I wish I had played with her more.”  So true, and an important life lesson...do it while you can, because you can’t do it forever. (I didn’t just call my mom a dog, did I?) 

Oh, and back on topic......I absolutely HATE talking on the phone. I find I get up and pace as I talk. My wife has a habit of calling when she’s in the car to kill the time. I don’t see her quite as much as I’d like (she still works - a LOT), so I usually enjoy that until she arrives at her destination and blows me off. “I’m here, gotta go.” Click.  Lol

I’d say 90+ % of calls to the land line are robocalls, and I want to punch that little robo in the nose. Sometimes 5-6 times a day. I try to block them, but nothing seems to work. Melissa from account services is a very persistent little B word! Thinking of ditching it altogether, but I’m an old fart and something seems wrong with that, if only for 911 calls. 

4 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Someday you will stop receiving calls.   You should make the best of it while you still can.  And if you like to see them Skype or Viber.   Maybe that will cut down their frequency and they would probably enjoy it more.

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Someday you will stop receiving calls.   You should make the best of it while you still can.  And if you like to see them Skype or Viber.   Maybe that will cut down their frequency and they would probably enjoy it more.

I like talking Once a week but when the calls are everyday it's like no thanks. I sometimes don't return them calls. I mean what do you talk about. My Mom complains about her Mother doing the same thing to her and my Mom won't take the call everyday. When my Buddy gets a phone call he gets angry. He says it interrupts his routine or whatever he's doing. My Aunt says she'll chat with anyone on the phone but for 10 minutes only. She says after 10 minutes she will just hang up on someone lol. I'm being serious I think a lot of people dislike talking on the phone. My Uncle will just text back after I call him lol.

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

They probably wanted to offer mattress cleaning advice. 

Now that's hilarious I have to admit.

Edited by Ice bowl 67

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

My 92-year old Dad doesn’t know what a smart phone is.  He doesn’t even understand how the internet works, though he is aware that it is apparently the font of all knowledge.

What the heck is he supposed to do when paper money is replaced by bitcoin?

How does the internet work?

17 hours ago, The Senator said:

Sorry for your loss.