Top Offensive (skill positions) and Defensive UFAs

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if McD would be interested in a guy like Brandon Graham. He’s 30, but our DL is now on the young side. Eagles are tight in the cap. 

Eagles can be picked on for sure.

Peters and Bennett are almost certain to be gone, but that doesn't even clear enough space for Foles' tag number (if in fact they tag him and he signs it, which he should).

They could cut Jernigan and Chris Long to clear out enough room to clear Foles, but they'd still have a LOT of work to do.  I'd be trying to prey on them for Jason Kelce.  He carries zero dead cap hit if they trade him (which would save the team $6.5M on the cap), and he'll be 32 at the start of the league year.

Their only other source of cap savings would be to pull the 5th year option from Nelson Agholor, but I doubt that they want to go into the season with Mack Hollins, Shelton Gibson, Johnny Holton, and Braxton Miller competing to be Wentz's WR2 behind Jeffery.

I think they really might bite at a Kelce trade. They could move Wisniewski over to center and field a line of Johnson-Brooks-Wisniewski-Seumalo-Vaitai and still be okay aside from depth.

50 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Wow is Edge stacked

Sure is...there are some serious scheme fits too: Lawrence, Clowney, Graham, and Preston Smith would be ideal LDEs in this system.

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I really think the franchise tag is unfair and needs to go away.

Its not fair that great players look like free agents only to disappear before our very eyes...

Yeah, the franchise tag doesn't do anyone any favors

No team is paying the price of two first round picks either, no matter how good a player is.

@YoloinOhio I’ll waste my time however I see fit

oh yeah, and thank you 

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I really think the franchise tag is unfair and needs to go away.

Its not fair that great players look like free agents only to disappear before our very eyes...

I agree and have for years.  I think there should be a cap discount like in the nba, but that’s it.  

Basically, the Bills could offer Allen 125 mil contract, and it would only count as a 100 mil contract.  Everyone else would be dollar for dollar 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, njbuff said:

Yeah, the franchise tag doesn't do anyone any favors

No team is paying the price of two first round picks either, no matter how good a player is.

After the Bell situation - I think it will either be a major point of contention in the next CBA.  They'll either argue that it needs to be done away with entirely, or they need to drastically change the way that it works.  Players with non-guaranteed deals like this want guaranteed money, and more years.  1 year deal's that lock them with a team is really damaging to the players

It's hard to think of a way to do this without having all players be almost RFAs after their rookie contract - thus allowing offer sheets, but also giving a team ability to match and some control when trading.  The tag doesn't allow anyone to offer sheet a player and get them the extension at the value that they feel they deserve, the franchise has all of the leverage because they have a tag in their back pocket.  Multiple first round picks seems a tad excessive since there aren't as many rounds in a draft, there's a limited pool of players in the NCAA, and with a cap like this there is a lot of parity in the league.  At the same time, you have to get something if you're losing a player who you drafted high, and don't have cap space or something to extend. 

So I think figuring out an appropriate compensation strategy would be pretty important.  Maybe open it up to sign and trade deals (allowing agents some freedom to negotiate with other teams like a RFA), therefore the franchise gets contact from interested teams who have worked out a a contract with the agent.  They can then work with that team on a trade - bring in a an established piece (or package of players) and a pick (or multiple picks) - while the other team gets the tagged player at the deal that they negotiated with his agent.  Another option is maybe a sliding scale of tag amounts with sliding compensation for offer sheets, different from the RFA ones.  

The tag should be off the table unless the player is coming off of a rookie contract.  Rookie contracts are capped, so they will want to maximize their income outside of that contract the first chance they get - they shouldn't be limited in doing so. 

As for other established players, they should be able to have more power to choose their destination.  This probably causes more problems, but also limits the franchises ability to force players into unfavorable deals, and penalize them for not signing them.

• 3 weeks later...