Anyone here work in healthcare?

Another Fan

22 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Presently its the field I’m in.  Can be rewarding but certainly brings its own challenges.  Tomorrow for example I’m expecting I may get written up for a judgment call I made.  

I hope all went well. You are so dedicated to your job - I am sure your supervisors know that. (((friendly hugs)))

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, seregil42 said:

Yeah, it's crazy.  I've heard stories where they've asked the patient multiple times, had the correct area marked, and still did the surgery in the wrong spot.  I can't even wrap my head around it.

See this post:

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Just some advice....when you're amputating a "left leg" it's the patient's actual left leg.  Not the leg to the left when looking down upon.

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Just some advice....when you're amputating a "left leg" it's the patient's actual left leg.  Not the leg to the left when looking down upon.

When my son broke his elbow... They put Sharpie® x's on his good one before surgery.  Or... Was that the "bad one." ???

I forget now...  ???

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We can't answer your question until you tell us what that "medical device" is.

So many wildcards here... It's 2019!?

Are you trying to ask if it can be thrown from the stands onto the field? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Spent pretty much my entire adult life in healthcare.  Worked direct care at a children's psych hospital for 10 years, trainer for an arc for a couple of years, now I'm hr for a homecare company.

Definitely a rewarding field.  Not financially but knowing you made someone's life better is a much better reward imo.  Hope your issue was resolved as painlessly as possible!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/6/2019 at 5:42 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

What struck me is the woman has been a veg since age 3. What kind of life is that? It would be hell if she is conscious at some level.

Not to mention, who is paying to keep a dead person clinically alive? 

My biggest complaint about the ACA was the death panels never came to fruition.

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Not to mention, who is paying to keep a dead person clinically alive? 

My biggest complaint about the ACA was the death panels never came to fruition.

I think my single greatest fear might be being kept alive like that. If I’m in that state, please let me move on! It’s only decent. We often treat our dogs better than we treat our people. I want my family to move on just as much as I would want to move on. I don’t want to leave, but I don’t fear what is next. 

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think my single greatest fear might be being kept alive like that. If I’m in that state, please let me move on! It’s only decent. We often treat our dogs better than we treat our people. I want my family to move on just as much as I would want to move on. I don’t want to leave, but I don’t fear what is next. 

Seriously.  When your cat or dog gets cancer you have them 'put down' to avoid unnecessary suffering.   

But with my mother, the last option was to literally starve her to death and pump her full of drugs so she wouldn't feel anything.   Great system.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Seriously.  When your cat or dog gets cancer you have them 'put down' to avoid unnecessary suffering.   

But with my mother, the last option was to literally starve her to death and pump her full of drugs so she wouldn't feel anything.   Great system.

A friend lost his dad to cancer. He thought they jacked him up with morphine at the end to put him out of his agony. When my dad was in hospice they told us they often hang around as long as the family was there. They told us to leave for dinner. As soon as we got home we got the call. I thought of my friend, and the morphine drip going into my dad. I was thankful it was over. He was no longer suffering.