49ers & Bolts to deal?

Beerball

The 49ers are in desperate need of a QB, and the Chargers just happen to have an extra one lying about. Apparently there is serious talk between the teams about a swap of the number one pick in the draft for Rivers. That would give the 49ers a QB who rates higher than Rodgers or Smith, and the Chargers would have three first round picks (1, 12, 28).

While three round 1 picks isn't easy to deal with from a salary cap standpoint I think that this deal gets done. Big question is would the Chargers be keeping the 'right' QB?

"Scouts Inc. is hearing that the 49ers are considering trading the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft to the Chargers in exchange for second-year QB Philip Rivers. The deal would give the Chargers three first-round picks (1, 12, 28) and the 49ers a better quarterback prospect than they could find in this draft. Rivers grades out considerably higher than Cal's Aaron Rodgers and Utah's Alex Smith."

The 49ers are in desperate need of a QB, and the Chargers just happen to have an extra one lying about.  Apparently there is serious talk between the teams about a swap of the number one pick in the draft for Rivers.  That would give the 49ers a QB who rates higher than Rodgers or Smith, and the Chargers would have three first round picks (1, 12, 28).

While three round 1 picks isn't easy to deal with from a salary cap standpoint I think that this deal gets done.  Big question is would the Chargers be keeping the 'right' QB?

289717[/snapback]

They're certainly putting their nuts on the chopping block aren't they. Especially with Brees signed to a one year franchise player deal.

I'd like to know how much they're going to have to eat to do the deal?

I wondered about this when Breese was having his year and it was announced they had a bunch of cap room available. I'll bet they wish they'd moved down a few spots and picked one of the available WRs in last year's draft.

Rivers'd be the guy I'd move too.

If I were the 49ers, I'd being tring to get Rivers and swapping first rounders, plus maybe throwing another draft pick in later.

1st overall and another pick (maybe a 3rd)

for

Rivers & 12th overall

289725[/snapback]

thats what i'd do too. no way i'd go straight up rivers for 1st

but then again i'd do henry for shelton straight up :doh:

First i thought this rumor was debunked already by the 49ers.

Second, why would the Chargers do that, losing 12 million or however much they gave Rivers as a signing bonus, 4/5 of which will immediately go against their cap, have a player Brees with only one year on his contract and one good year on the field, AND have to pay the ridiculous salaries and signing bonuses of the 1st and 12th pick of the draft, plus another #1 pick salary. I doubt they could afford it if they wanted to.