Why It's Urgent To Break Your Bubble

Withdrawal from public affairs is more than a sign of cynical escapism and alienation; for Arendt, it denotes the situation of ‘worldlessness,’ whereby the sense of shared reality begins to disintegrate. Worldlessness is like a desert that dries up the space between people. By resigning ourselves to the belief that political engagement is futile, we remove ourselves from the world and from one another. As Arendt argues in Crises in the Republic (1972) and her posthumously published The Promise of Politics (1993), when we lose touch with the world, we experience a dangerous ‘remoteness from reality.’ Worldlessness, as the loss of a shared common space, typifies the post-truth age of alternative facts and conspiracy theories. In reducing the boundaries of the world to ourselves and our digital bubbles, we foreclose connections with a larger shared reality full of people with conflicting beliefs. By retreating to the inner citadel, we limit chances to find common ground with those holding different political opinions. Remoteness and withdrawal leads to tribalism and the inability to listen to the other person’s point of view. 

...The fact that individuals are born into the world means that individual and generational change is possible. Influenced by St Augustine, she wrote that each person is a ‘beginner’ and an ‘initium’ with the capacity to learn from his or her mistakes. Arguing against the grain of philosophical retreat from the world of appearances, Arendt underscores the power that individuals have to act together for political change. Since action is rooted in the power to begin anew, the outcomes of new beginnings, while unpredictable, offer hope for a shared future.   

The two most important examples of new beginnings are the faculties of promising and forgiving. In making a promise, we indicate our intention to act in the future with others. The ability to make a promise sets in motion unexpected events that lead to political foundation, covenants, legal obligations and social contracts. In forgiving someone, we have the possibility to undo actions in the past. If promises are future oriented, forgiveness looks backwards and tries to reverse actions for the sake of a shared new beginning. Forgiveness is not the same as forgetfulness or the erasure of past events. Rather, it frees one from revenge and from being ‘confined to one single deed,’ while promises bind us to fulfill future intentions. Both activities require other people and ‘depend on plurality, on the presence and acting of others.’ The ability to promise and forgive are necessary components for a good life, good governance and essential conditions for the transition from authoritarianism to democracy.

Hannah Arendt On Why It's Urgent To Break Your Bubble

38 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Nope. She condemned Eichman but captured the banality of his evil, which is hard to accept but easy to see in practice. 

LOL she was a commie banging her Nazi professor for grades.  Which part makes her your hero?

8 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Nope. She condemned Eichman but captured the banality of his evil, which is hard to accept but easy to see in practice. 

HEIDEGGER you bozo......

*****, do you know anything at all?

he never recanted and she was too emotional and ootsie to think it was important

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

HEIDEGGER you bozo......

*****, do you know anything at all?

he never recanted and she was too emotional and ootsie to think it was important

She has been criticized for not being hard enough in her judgment of Eichmann. I didn’t know why you called him an intellectual. Thank you for clarifying. 

This is part of the reason I don't unfriend or unfollow SJWs on FB, & I keep a healthy mix of commies in my twitter feed. My theory is that people who live in a bubble, just like those who want their adversaries de-platformed, are afraid that their beliefs won't stand up to scrutiny.

I don't believe they're consciously aware of it, but deep down they doubt the strength of their position.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

She has been criticized for not being hard enough in her judgment of Eichmann. I didn’t know why you called him an intellectual. Thank you for clarifying. 

What part of "banging her Nazi professor" was hard to understand?

That commie you love banged a Nazi

She thought it would get her good grades

Ahhhhhhhh Haaaaahhhhh

-Tubbs

Edited by 4merper4mer

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

This is part of the reason I don't friend or unfollow SJWs on FB, & I keep a healthy mix of commies in my twitter feed. My theory is that people who live in a bubble, just like those who want their adversaries de-platformed, are afraid that their beliefs won't stand up to scrutiny.

I don't believe they're consciously aware of it, but deep down they doubt the strength of their position.

I think you'll find that conservatives and libertarians will get their news from a variety of sources. I have MSN as my homepage for example. Everyday I get to see what the ***** idiots are lying about. I especially take note of their headlines in relation to their stories. They twist everything for political purposes.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

What part of "banging her Nazi professor" was hard to understand?

That commie you love banged a Nazi

She thought it would get her good grades

Ahhhhhhhh Haaaaahhhhh

-Tubbs

Zzz. Discuss the ideas above or run. 

Be better. 

4 hours ago, Rob's House said:

This is part of the reason I don't unfriend or unfollow SJWs on FB, & I keep a healthy mix of commies in my twitter feed. My theory is that people who live in a bubble, just like those who want their adversaries de-platformed, are afraid that their beliefs won't stand up to scrutiny.

Why do you think I frequent your once decent convertible no conspiracy dominated board. You’re all my friends.