Locast

Ever since TV went HD it's usable reception area has decreased. Old-fashioned analog TV would be watchable for miles because the signal would just get snowier. It wasn't perfect but you could still see something.

With HD you either get a picture or don't. And the watchable footprint is smaller. So there are more people than ever inside a TV station's home market that can't get that station over the air. The law still says you are entitled to watch for free within your home market.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ever since TV went HD it's usable reception area has decreased. Old-fashioned analog TV would be watchable for miles because the signal would just get snowier. It wasn't perfect but you could still see something.

With HD you either get a picture or don't. And the watchable footprint is smaller. So there are more people than ever inside a TV station's home market that can't get that station over the air. The law still says you are entitled to watch for free within your home market.

this is by design, no?

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

this is by design, no?

What part are referring to? Digital TV is what it is. But when the TV rules were written by the FCC decades ago, no one could have imagined HDTV. It's another example of technology outpacing regulation.

the conspiracy theorist in me says that the whole transfer of OTA signals was established to benefit the OTA broacasters. $10 billion is a pretty lucrative side benefit to the transition. nothing more than a money grab.

what was wrong with broadcasting both analog and digital as they did for some years.  

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

the conspiracy theorist in me says that the whole transfer of OTA signals was established to benefit the OTA broacasters. $10 billion is a pretty lucrative side benefit to the transition. nothing more than a money grab.

what was wrong with broadcasting both analog and digital as they did for some years.  

They wanted to free up the analog channels for wireless services, who are paying broadcasters to "repack" their channels. Believe it or not the usable frequency spectrum is pretty crowded.

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They wanted to free up the analog channels for wireless services, who are paying broadcasters to "repack" their channels. Believe it or not the usable frequency spectrum is pretty crowded.

i thought everything after 1G was digital?

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Cell frequencies are right around analog TV frequencies.

i'll have to take your word for it as i don't know a whole lot about it all.  i think though that 4g utilizes some of the 1900 Mhz band which is far from the UHF band.

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

i'll have to take your word for it as i don't know a whole lot about it all.  i think though that 4g utilizes some of the 1900 Mhz band which is far from the UHF band.

I don't have spectrum memorized. I just know that wireless companies want those vacated analog UHF TV channels.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can throw a rock and hit wivb towers and i struggle to get reception. Nbc i only get reception when football season ends. From week 1- super bowl it doesnt work. I miss analog

Edited by Not at the table Karlos