What Should I Do With Old Sports Trading Cards?

BillyWhiteShows

Maybe wait for the next big cold front and add them to the fire. Warm up the room a bit? 

Or.....if you are the adventurous (or desperate) type, get a bogus appraisal then flood the basement. Upside might be a nice insurance payday. Worst case?  Room and board for a while plus three square meals a day in the big house for insurance fraud. Life is a series of options. 

Go ask some questions at a local hobby store, look for some advice. Most of it is probably garbage, but you never know......

I have boxes full too and my plan is to just hold onto them and see what happens. 

Its not like I don’t have the room to store a few boxes away in my attic. I don’t see the point in just throwing them out. So I’ll let them sit and collect dust a while longer. 

Only mint condition cards are ever worth anything so even in the highly unlikely case you did have a valuable card, sitting in an attic or basement for 40 years has ruined its value.

Toss them out and never think of them again.  Purging is good for the soul.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Who will buy the common cards?

You find a card shop.  See if they’ll buy them .  You offer them for sale on some form of electronic bulletin board.  Stop trolling for answers.  Sorry that you haven’t found the answers that make you happy.

I made $ 3,000 on eBay. Mainly baseball cards from the 60’s. Currently selling a 1965 AFL set missing the checklists.

13 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Who will buy the common cards?

80-90 slight interest. I sell cards all the time on eBay.

I just sold Simpson’s cards on eBay for $30. You guys on here don’t know nothing.

Edited by Helpmenow

We are talking about baseball cards from the 80s and 90s, when people thought they’d make millions on their cards, not the 1960s card sets.

Your boasting reads too much like “I’m making $1,500 a day with this online business....”

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

We are talking about baseball cards from the 80s and 90s, when people thought they’d make millions on their cards, not the 1960s card sets.

Expanding upon this, it’s very much a question of ‘when’ something is collected.  My brother-in-law is kicking himself over all the 70s era hockey cards that were ‘bicycle spoke noisemakers’.  Relatively few hockey cards in that era.  Even the inaugural series of Score baseball cards from the mid 80s never brought the returns many hoped, possibly due to the fact there was a set printed for everyone in the Americas.  ?

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Expanding upon this, it’s very much a question of ‘when’ something is collected.  My brother-in-law is kicking himself over all the 70s era hockey cards that were ‘bicycle spoke noisemakers’.  Relatively few hockey cards in that era.  Even the inaugural series of Score baseball cards from the mid 80s never brought the returns many hoped, possibly due to the fact there was a set printed for everyone in the Americas.  ?

Supply and demand and nostalgia for this stuff

people are nostalgic for Mantle and Namath and Orr like they never would be for Rickey Henderson or Montana or Mario Lemieux

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

I had a massive collection of cards that my buddy bought from me for his son.  I kept a few good ones.  But it was so large a collection after 40 years, and after many moves, I had to part

Ok so what did you do with the cards you gave away?  Were you able to sell them?

21 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

See my cards are from the mid 80’s to mid 90’s.  There’s no way I’d get that kind of money 

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You find a card shop.  See if they’ll buy them .  You offer them for sale on some form of electronic bulletin board.  Stop trolling for answers.  Sorry that you haven’t found the answers that make you happy.

Not trolling just seeing what other people have done with theirs.  Only a few have provided actual responses.  Most responses are like “burn them for firewood.”  Come on man

12 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Ok so what did you do with the cards you gave away?  Were you able to sell them?

See my cards are from the mid 80’s to mid 90’s.  There’s no way I’d get that kind of money 

Not trolling just seeing what other people have done with theirs.  Only a few have provided actual responses.  Most responses are like “burn them for firewood.”  Come on man

Why are you refusing to accept that selling them for  decent $$ is difficult?

oh wait, I have a friend who will give you his fortune for them....  LOL, not sure if that’s the name of his parakeet 

Louis CK has a recent bit about buying a gold watch while on top,  then he lost $35 million in one day, so he wonders why he bought a gold watch and might sell it for the $6 offered to him....

——————. 

Probably 15 million men in the US with a lot of worthless cards from the 80s and 90s

if one found the secret then he sure wouldn’t tell anyone else

Edited by row_33

10 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

In my defense, I also suggested putting them in your bicycle spokes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Scrape off the gum from the wax packs, probably just as chewable and pliant 30 years later

This was such a mocking and torturing industry that they’d have us so happy to collect the four checklist cards in a hockey season....checklist cards?  ***** You!!!!

it was a fun hobby for kids who liked sports and they’d trade them with friends and if their mother didn’t chuck them all they might have lucked upon a real collectors item

then adults got into it and ruined it thinking they’d be millionaires...  jokes on them

Edited by row_33

28 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it was a fun hobby for kids who liked sports and they’d trade them with friends and if their mother didn’t chuck them all they might have lucked upon a real collectors item

then adults got into it and ruined it thinking they’d be millionaires...  jokes on them

Pretty much.  I remember the hey day of card collecting in the 1980’s, there were many stories that only sold cards behind glass cases.  That’s how goood business was at the time because the industry supported a number of these shops in many towns throughout the US.  There were also several national publications like Beckett which was exclusively about cards and the selling point was the updates monthly values.   

But you are right.  Everyone knew the monetary value of cards.  Companies made more cards.  People bought more.  As a result supply > demand.  And now I’m faced with getting rid of hundreds cards thank to my wife’s obsession with Marie Kondo