Scientists on the brink of finding a cure for cancer?

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bigger but it is a huge claim.  Also look at who published it.  It is from “Forbes” but from a non-staff contributor.  Forbes has this model where if you pay them you can contribute work to be printed under their name.  They called me about this b.s. I said yeah I am going to pay you to contribute material that you then publish?  They calmly said “yes.”

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Bigger but it is a huge claim.  Also look at who published it.  It is from “Forbes” but from a non-staff contributor.  Forbes has this model where if you pay them you can contribute work to be printed under their name.  They called me about this b.s. I said yeah I am going to pay you to contribute material that you then publish?  They calmly said “yes.”

I'm not much into journalism but several other outlets are carrying this story too.  Does that mean they are just picking up on the Forbes article?

....until the Pharma companies set to lose billions of dollars because their treatments and prescriptions are no longer needed, squash it to keep their pockets full with dying people's money.  Cynical, yes.  A real possibility, also yes.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

....until the Pharma companies set to lose billions of dollars because their treatments and prescriptions are no longer needed, squash it to keep their pockets full with dying people's money.  Cynical, yes.  A real possibility, also yes.

No, pharma will just shift quickly to raising prices for items that geriatrics need.

Cynical, yes.

11 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

This wouldnt be good for the overall population overload already. But... the world will give us something else that will kill off enough.

I thought about this, too.  But this isn't one of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" situations.  If it can be done, it needs to be done.  You're right, however.  We will probably all die from some superbacteria that will make us wish we could die of cancer.

“Still skepticism was high among those in the know. Weighing in on behalf of the American Cancer Society (ACS) on his blog, “A Cure For Cancer? Not So Fast,” Len Lichtenfeld, MD, ACS chief medical officer cautioned: “…it goes without saying, we all share the aspirational hope that they are correct. Unfortunately, we must be aware that this is far from proven as an effective treatment for people with cancer, let alone a cure."”

As much as I’d love to believe it, I’ll hold off for now. 

7 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

They have found a cure to many things, it is called money. Just need to throw enough money at it and you will cure it.

Well that’s a very cynical - and naive - way of looking at things.

Places like Dana Farber, Sloan Kettering, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins, and dozens - if not hundreds - of others, including our own very excellent Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center - are working round the clock and spending $$billions$$ on research trying to find new ways to treat and cure cancer.  Problem is, there are so many different typeset of cancer.

For the 43% of those diagnosed with liver cancer at an early stage, the 5/year survival rate is 31%, if it hasn’t spread to other parts of the body.

Roswell has managed to keep me alive since I was diagnosed in 2012, thru some unique treatments pioneered right here in Buffalo.  So I’m lucky enough to be in that 31%, but I’ve been on ‘borrowed time’ for 2 years now.

Money isn’t the problem.  Cancer is just such an insidious disease that a true cure remains elusive.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 2