What's the coldest and hottest temps you've ever encountered?

Late 80's growing in up in Minnesota....it got to -24 that day.  Windchill I think was in the -40's.  Still didn't close schools and I remember my mom turning her blinker on, tried to change lanes and we just spun around in a circle in the middle of the road.  The streets were completely frozen.

I lived in Phoenix for a bit and one summer it got to around 15-117 consistently for a few days during this heat wave.  The rubber on the bottom of my shoes were melting to the asphalt when I was walking my dog.   

People were not even at the pools because it was too hot to go outside.  

Just now, Seasons1992 said:

Coldest would probably be around -10. 

Hottest was August 2002 in Vegas.......holy crap that was hot. You don't sweat there either and before you know it, you're dying. 115F every day, still 100 after the sun went down.

I went to Vegas multiple times a year when I lived in LA.

I would eat and drink all day long but would lose weight because of the constant walking in 100+ degree temps.

Saw a -25 (roughly) on a bank sign that showed temps one time in either Ohio or Indiana, can't remember.  Add another 10-20 on top of that for the wind chill.  Also saw a 104 (roughly) in an Indiana summer.  And no, it was not a "dry heat". 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I would eat and drink all day long but would lose weight because of the constant walking in 100+ degree temps.

Same, I definitely never feel "bloated" when out there. Looking forward to my late February trip out there this year when it's only a max of 70 every day! 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Saw a -25 (roughly) on a bank sign that showed temps one time in either Ohio or Indiana, can't remember.  Add another 10-20 on top of that for the wind chill.  Also saw a 104 (roughly) in an Indiana summer.  And no, it was not a "dry heat". 

Heat to me is heat.  The dry heat in AZ was hard to deal with just like the humid heat in the east.  It just a different type of stress.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I lived in Phoenix for a bit and one summer it got to around 15-117 consistently for a few days during this heat wave.  The rubber on the bottom of my shoes were melting to the asphalt when I was walking my dog.  

The dog must have loved that.

I remember in the late 60's, the schools were closed because the temps were in the minus 15-19 range.  There was a strong East wind (unusual for BUF), and the lake ice was blocking the water intake, so no water for the city.  This was well before anyone ever knew of bottled water.

I understand that around the turn of the last century, they had the E wind again, and the ice blocked the entrance to the Niagara river, so the falls stopped for a while.

59 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't know.  -20s.  what the ***** kind of question is this?

Slow your roll Mr. Cray Cray

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The dog must have loved that.

Surprisingly he wasn't bothered by it.  I guess he had thick pads.

I wasn't walking on the street FYI....I was cutting across the parking lot to go to the dog park with grass.  It was unreal how it it was.  

-70 in Fairbanks, Alaska.  Actually, I think the lowest was like -68, but I just tell people -70 because it sounds cooler.  The thing about the cold in Fairbanks is that we would have 2-3 week where the high temperatures would not eclipse -50.  That sucked.

The hottest temps I ever experienced were in Las Vegas two summers ago in July.  The wife and I got an all expenses paid trip through her employer so that she could attend some training.  It was ranging between 120-125 degrees for a couple days.  Dry heat my ass!  That was unbearable, and I don't know how people live there.  

-30°F, Arrowhead of Minnesota, Lutsen Mountains... Near Thunder Bay, Ontario. Sunrise over L Superior skiing SouthEast w/my son... January 2016... This run:

It was so bad cold-wise... I covered my camera and goggles through the snow gun halfway through.  Would have been doomed at those temps getting pasted with snow.

• Thank you (+1) 1