Frozen Four

The Senator

1 minute ago, The Senator said:

?

I stopped gambling decades ago - having to hand over $500 to the bag man was the suckiest feeling in the world!

( And my bets were peanuts compared to some of my friends!)

You are fortunate. The bag men employed in my Italian neighborhood used to use their bats not for hitting baseballs but for hitting knee caps. Sometimes learning from the school of hard knocks can be both painful and memorable. :)

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

Just curious if lacrosse players where chest protectors like the hockey players? I still can see an individual being seriously hurt with the protector if hit squarely. I remember that episode. Really sad. 

They wear similar chest protectors to those worn by hockey players, only without the shoulder/arm protection.  It’s like a half inch of protective foam/plastic.  I’ve always thought that lax players wore inadequate chest protection.  I recall the incident in ‘94 and then another when I was young (9th grade) and at Hobart Lacrosse Camp.  Another kid hit in the chest and his heart stopped and he died.  Tragic.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

They wear similar chest protectors to those worn by hockey players, only without the shoulder/arm protection.  It’s like a half inch of protective foam/plastic.  I’ve always thought that lax players wore inadequate chest protection.  I recall the incident in ‘94 and then another when I was young (9th grade) and at Hobart Lacrosse Camp.  Another kid hit in the chest and his heart stopped and he died.  Tragic.

Is the ball solid rubber like a hockey puck? I'm surprised that players don't have some shoulder or arm protection because they are constantly getting whacked by sticks. It's a tough sport. This is a sport where you have to be in superb condition to play at a competitive level. I good debate is whether lacrosse or soccer players are better conditioned because of the constant up and down the field action in both sports.