Frozen Four

The Senator

I used to go every year, but it's been about 10 years now.  I'd love to come back home for this one (haven't been back since 2014), but I can't make it happen.  Funny story, the last time it was in Buffalo (I missed that one), Dave Chappelle was in town and he wound up hanging out with some friends of mine.  They're a group that has been going to all of these for well over 20 years at this point and that is always their favorite story.

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Big Red Bears alumni here.  We always choke though with hockey and lacrosse.  Probably because I'm a fan and my teams never win anything.

Yeah, I feel the same way.  Last time they won it all was 1970 - the only team ever to go undefeated.  (Also won it all in’67, but we had an unfair advantage - Ken Dryden!).

I’m Class if ‘81 - traveled to Boston in ‘80 and saw us win the ECAC Tourney in ‘The Gahhden’.  Then they lost to Northern Michigan in the Frozen Four.

Last time they won in Lax was ‘77 - the Spring before my freshman year.  They went back to the final four in ‘78, but lost.

Still, loved going to Lynah Rink (featured in the movie “Love Story” with Ryan O’Neal), and sitting in the crescent at Schoellkopf Field, watching lacrosse with a perfect view of the lake, is something I’d like to do again - maybe this Spring.

Guess I’ll wait to see how they finish, and how they fare in the ECAC Tourney at Lake Placid.  

Edited by The Senator

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Yeah, I feel the same way.  Last time they won it all was 1970 - the only team ever to go undefeated.  (Also won it all in’67, but we had an unfair advantage - Ken Dryden!).

I’m Class if ‘81 - traveled to Boston in ‘80 and saw us win the ECAC Tourney in ‘The Gahhden’.  Then they lost to Northern Michigan in the Frozen Four.

Last time they won in Lax was ‘77 - the Spring before my freshman year.  They went back to the final four in ‘78, but lost.

Still, loved going to Lynch Rink (featured in the movie “Love Story” with Ryan O’Neal), and sitting in the crescent at Schoellkopf Field, watching lacrosse with a perfect view of the lake, is something I’d like to do again - maybe this Spring.

Guess I’ll wait to see how they finish, and how they fare in the ECAC Tourney at Lake Placid. 

Dryden was in my fraternity, well before my time though, I'm a 2002 grad.

Lacrosse also lost the national championship recently, in 2009.  Sad story, my friends boyfriend was killed during a game in 2003 (maybe 2004).  Took a ball to the chest and suffered cardiac arrest.  She was destroyed.

Edited by Mark80

i've always wanted to go, but it just hasn't happened.  there was a time where boston college was a regular in the frozen four, so there was some incentive.  they're absolutely terrible this year, so unfortunately the timing is off.

6 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Lacrosse also lost the national championship recently, in 2009.  Sad story, my friends boyfriend was killed during a game in 2003 (maybe 2004).  Took a ball to the chest and suffered cardiac arrest.  She was destroyed.

Even though it was 10 years ago, I remember the 2009 loss to Syracuse like it was yesterday.  I was watching on TV with a bunch of friends, and was crushed when we lost.

I also remember reading about that horrible incident in 2004.  It must be devastating to lose someone close in such a freak accident.

I see where Cornell is ranked #4 in the early preseason.  We open Feb. 22 at Hobart.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i've always wanted to go, but it just hasn't happened.  there was a time where boston college was a regular in the frozen four, so there was some incentive.  they're absolutely terrible this year, so unfortunately the timing is off.

BC has always had a great program.  BU as well.  Wonder what went wrong at Chestnut Hill this year?

I used to love going to the Beanpot Tourney when I lived in Boston.

6 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Even though it was 10 years ago, I remember the 2009 loss to Syracuse like it was yesterday.  I was watching on TV with a bunch of friends, and was crushed when we lost.

I also remember reading about that horrible incident in 2004.  It must be devastating to lose someone close in such a freak accident.

I see where Cornell is ranked #4 in the early preseason.  We open Feb. 22 at Hobart.

BC has always had a great program.  BU as well.  Wonder what went wrong at Chestnut Hill this year?

I used to love going to the Beanpot Tourney when I lived in Boston.

i really think jerry york is just getting to the end of his career.  they've seemed to be in a steady decline over the last 5 years or so.  it was a wonderful run, but i have to imagine it's coming to a close.  

the beanpots were great.  there was always a full house for the games and the energy was always through the roof.  rowdy games!  I think they play the first round a week from today against harvard.  

The beanpot games themselves always seemed a bit pointless to me.  Sure the atmosphere was great, but when you have a 23 year stretch where only two schools win it, you start to wonder what the point is.  It's crazy now to look at the results and see that Harvard and Northeastern have won the last two.  BU has won 30 of 66, but not a single player on their current team has won it.  You don't hear that very often.

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

The beanpot games themselves always seemed a bit pointless to me.  Sure the atmosphere was great, but when you have a 23 year stretch where only two schools win it, you start to wonder what the point is.  It's crazy now to look at the results and see that Harvard and Northeastern have won the last two.  BU has won 30 of 66, but not a single player on their current team has won it.  You don't hear that very often.

As we love to chant in Ithaca,

”SCREW B U...HARVARD TOO!!’”

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

As we love to chant in Ithaca,

”SCREW B U...HARVARD TOO!!’”

At least you were actually there when that chant made sense.  The current batch of students saying it don't have the slightest clue why, yet they continue on like the sheep most college sport fans are.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I know many of you guys are Cornell alums, but have you heard how the Cortaca Jug (Cortland vs Ithaca) game is going to be played at MetLife Stadium in November 2019?  That’s awesome.  Great rivalry.

Actually, I almost went to IC - the coeds were better looking! ?

5135D8EC-4691-4BE3-9BE3-FA5896CE8551.jpeg

Edited by The Senator

4 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Just curious if lacrosse players where chest protectors like the hockey players? I still can see an individual being seriously hurt with the protector if hit squarely. I remember that episode. Really sad. 

2 hours ago, teef said:

that's where my brother went.  ithica is a great town.

I loved the place - stayed during summers and swam in the gorge, sailed on Cayuga Lake, explored Taughonnock Falls and Treman State Park - Robert Treman was in my fraternity, as was Prof/Dean/President  Tee Fee Crane (Give my regards to Davey, remember me to Tee Fee Crane...).

It seemed that summers were more relaxed and without the pressure of s full academic load, you could really enjoy the beauty of that entire campus.

I love going back there and seeing how the campus and the town have evolved.  Every time I visit, there’s a new building going up.  When I was there, the campus pretty much ended at the South gorge, where Collegetown began.  Not so anymore!

The only restaurant I frequented that’s still there is Rulloff’s!  Of course, the three bars that we had on campus, right in the student unions, are gone

(Drinking age was 18 back then, and you could pick up a six pack at the campus store, along with your toothpaste and shaving cream).

Oh, to be young and in Ithaca again!

Ithaca, NY 1980 - the KA softball team

(Me,  on the right, with the bat...)

B8EB810F-FB7C-48F0-983E-131083A88AD3.jpeg

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

Just curious if lacrosse players where chest protectors like the hockey players? I still can see an individual being seriously hurt with the protector if hit squarely. I remember that episode. Really sad. 

I've always loved how the men's lacrosse players get the big helmets but the women only have those caged goggle things.  Even those are fairly recent.  It has never made any sense to me.

18 hours ago, The Senator said:

I loved the place - stayed during summers and swam in the gorge, sailed on Cayuga Lake, explored Taughonnock Falls and Treman State Park - Robert Treman was in my fraternity, as was Prof/Dean/President  Tee Fee Crane (Give my regards to Davey, remember me to Tee Fee Crane...).

It seemed that summers were more relaxed and without the pressure of s full academic load, you could really enjoy the beauty of that entire campus.

I love going back there and seeing how the campus and the town have evolved.  Every time I visit, there’s a new building going up.  When I was there, the campus pretty much ended at the South gorge, where Collegetown began.  Not so anymore!

The only restaurant I frequented that’s still there is Rulloff’s!  Of course, the three bars that we had on campus, right in the student unions, are gone

(Drinking age was 18 back then, and you could pick up a six pack at the campus store, along with your toothpaste and shaving cream).

Oh, to be young and in Ithaca again!

Ithaca, NY 1980 - the KA softball team

(Me,  on the right, with the bat...)

B8EB810F-FB7C-48F0-983E-131083A88AD3.jpeg

You have the Pete Rose crouching batting stance. I hope you didn't gamble as much as he did. 

Edited by JohnC

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You have the Pete Rose crouching batting stance. I hope you didn't gamble as much as he did. 

?

I stopped gambling decades ago - having to hand over $500 to the bag man was the suckiest feeling in the world!

( And my bets were peanuts compared to some of my friends!)