Emailed receipts - love ‘em or hate ‘em?

BuffaloBill

Retailer’s request for your email address  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give them your email address?

• Yes, because I find the information they send me useful
    • Yes, because I feel obligated to do so
    • Yes, because I just junk whatever they send me
    • No, I find it annoying
    • No, but just because I do not want to do so
    • It depends, sometimes but not always

I find it annoying that nearly every retailer out there pushes to get your email address and then uses it to send you “sale” notifications, delivery notices, coupons or surveys.  To keep my email account from getting overwhelmed with all of this crap I have created another that I use for retailers only.  I hardly ever look at it.  

The game is really unfair because it is one-sided.  They get tons of data from you then all you get is requests for more of your time in order to get “discounts.”  I get it that there are a tiny number of people who make this sort of thing their “hobby” as they look for some fantastic deal to brag about. How many of these people end up buying stuff they really do not need and in quantities that are absurd?

Just a little rant for the morning.  I’m done.

I'll give them my email if it's a place I frequent (Valvoline - for oil changes) and I'll get coupons.  Other than that, I just say, "no, thank you."

But I still have them print me a receipt.  I reconcile my checkbook every day.  It's easier for me to take receipts out of my wallet and log them into my checkbook.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll give them my email if it's a place I frequent (Valvoline - for oil changes) and I'll get coupons.  Other than that, I just say, "no, thank you."

But I still have them print me a receipt.  I reconcile my checkbook every day.  It's easier for me to take receipts out of my wallet and log them into my checkbook.

I'm the same, places I frequent often enough, I'll give them my email address. I usually just toss the receipts in my car and they become clutter after a while...and it's difficult to find if I actually need it. If they're in my email, they're easier to locate (amidst the 40k emails I haven't read yet, but that's another issue) and less clutter. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's good in some places, like theres a place around here that uses your phone number or email and if you ever have an issue or want to return an item, you dont need a receipt, they just check your email or phone number in the system and know when you bought it and for how much.

One of the banks I deal with gives you the option at their arms if you want it to be printed or emailed. I always get a print out just to get my money's worth. Otherwise, most of my paper receipts get tossed in the garbage on my way out the door.

I subscribe to House of Blues email newsletter. It comes in handy because they actually send out bi-weekly emails with free tickets. What I do find annoying, is when I'm just buying one thing, and they want my name, address, email, phone number, SSN, mother's maiden name, and the name of my 3rd grade bully. I'm just trying to buy a Coke Zero, not a car.

I have a junk email that I give out.  I keep it solely to give out for things I don’t care about.  When I’m bored, I go through and delete most things immediately.  Many other things I unsubscribe. Other things I save for later, and end up ignoring. 

Emailing me a receipt is nothing more than another way to get my email address and send me even more junk I don’t want. I take a paper receipt and let them pile up in my wallet. Then I take them out and let them sit in my closet. Then I throw them all out without ever even looking at them. It’s a process.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Emailing me a receipt is nothing more than another way to get my email address and send me even more junk I don’t want. I take a paper receipt and let them pile up in my wallet. Then I take them out and let them sit in my closet. Then I throw them all out without ever even looking at them. It’s a process.   

Amen brotha!