Elite Player and Coaches

Trying to think, in any sport, how many head coaches that have elite status, also have that status as a player. The only one I can think of off of the top of my head would be Joe Torre, although his elite status as a player might be questioned. And Yogi Berra, who's elite status as a coach might be questioned.

I was going to post one of my usual ‘wiseass’ answers and say ‘Hank Bullough’, but researching Bullough I noted his friend and teammate Forrest Gregg has success as a player and did coach the Bengals in the loss to SF in Super Bowl Ecks Vee Eye.  Elite?  No. Very good.  Yes.

Jacques Lemaire was a hall of fame player and then killed the NHL as a coach.  Does that count?  Seriously though, I don't know if his coaching career counts as elite, but he was definitely near the top of the game for a while.

Then there's Bob Gainey.  Again, I don't know if you'd label him an elite coach/GM, but he was definitely one of the bigger names for a while.

Steve Yzerman has quickly earned the elite GM label.  It doesn't fit your coach criteria, but he's definitely worth noting.

And this one's completely different, but Bobby Orr runs one of the more prominent NHL player agencies.

• Like (+1) 1

A common argument is the most talented players make terrible coaches because they have little tolerance for players who can’t do what came to them much easier. Michael; Jordan can’t “teach” most of what he did. 

Could Peyton Manning or Tony Romo be great coaches? Maybe, but we’ll never know because why should they go through that grind? 

Maybe Steve Spurrier came close on a clollege level, as long as he could still make his tee time. 

Edited by Augie

On 1/25/2019 at 10:00 PM, Augie said:

A common argument is the most talented players make terrible coaches because they have little tolerance for players who can’t do what came to them much easier. Michael; Jordan can’t “teach” most of what he did. 

Could Peyton Manning or Tony Romo be great coaches? Maybe, but we’ll never know because why should they go through that grind? 

Maybe Steve Spurrier came close on a clollege level, as long as he could still make his tee time. 

Golic was describing how the coach asked Reggie White to explain how he had done something to shed a blocker (not sure it was something he did in practice or watching game film.) White began to explain his move, then through his arms in the air all frustrated and said I don't know, I just do it.

• Like (+1) 1

WC soccer—Juergen Klinsmann won in ‘90 as a player, and then finished 3rd in the world as manager in 2006, before taking the US team job. Incidentally, his manager in ‘90, Franz Beckenbauer, also won the WC as a player in ‘74, one of only 3 men to ever have done that at the WC level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Beckenbauer

To the OP's point, just took a look at how many former quarterbacks are head coaches in the NFL. Currently 9 of 30 are former QB's. All 9 were either career backups, never played after college, or played in lower tier leagues (CFL, Arena, etc.) Frank Reich probably had more career starts than the other 8 combined. Guess carrying a clipboard pays dividends in the long run!

Edited by Steve O
clipboard comment