Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

48 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If Skinner stays, what's the ETA for him being the next whipping boy for the 'fans' to complain about?...

Zero chance he becomes a whipping boy. He plays with grit and Buffalo fans appreciate that. He gives an honest effort every night, plays hurt, and is hard to play against. He’s the antithesis of a whipping boy.

I’m not trying to get too far down the hole on subjective “intangibles”, but it just jumps out at you watching Skinner that the guy is hyper competitive.

Everyone can express that differently, but I think most Sabres fans just know we have largely lacked that.

Sounds like bull####, but it’s something I’ve felt for a while watching us cycle through players. 

I do think he is retained. I would be shocked if they could stomach the backlash that would ensue if he walks. They’ll overpay.

Edited by Rockpile233
  • Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If Skinner stays, what's the ETA for him being the next whipping boy for the 'fans' to complain about?...

Skinner is the type of player that Buffalo fans embrace. He is currently in a goal scoring slump. Yet he continues to play a feisty hard game. There are players for the fans to understandably exhibit their frustrations toward. Skinner is not one of them. He always plays with heart and grit. Those fans who direct their frustrations toward him are not knowledgeably watching what is happening on the ice. 

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Didn't he suck up useful development time from some deserving Murray draftee?  

He he is a good player but he wasn't good enough to move the needle on this be a horrible team and now he'll leave.  How is that good?

How do you know that he is leaving? What makes you say that? I'm not going to say for sure that he is going to stay but most reports indicate that he is more likely to stay. If he decides to leave then that is his prerogative. You then move on and use his cap money for other players. That's how the system works. 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So, about half the fan base then....

I’ve never seen any of our fans, be it those I know personally or those I engage with in various forums and other media, say a bad word about Skinner. Do you actually know fans who aren’t happy with him? They should turn in their fan cards. 

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

To be clear: You're blaming the fans  for the organization's failures?

No. To be clear, I'm saying a significant portion of the fan base are miserable wretches who just love to complain, whether it be about the Sabres or anything else.     

To them, whipping boys are necessary, just like food and oxygen...

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

So, about half the fan base then....

What are you talking about? I am not aware of any segment of the fan base being critical of him. Why would he be the target of criticism when he is one of the most productive players on the team and one of the consistently hardest playing player on the team. You are creating a bogeyman that is non-existent. 

There are plenty of justifiable reasons to razz the Sabres. He is not one of them. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I’ve never seen any of our fans, be it those I know personally or those I engage with in various forums and other media, say a bad word about Skinner. Do you actually know fans who aren’t happy with him? They should turn in their fan cards. 

I hate the way he flops. There’s my negative spin on Skinner. 

15 hours ago, K-9 said:

Willing to make him your whipping boy because of that? 

Not at all. That’s really the only negative I have for him. If I’m looking for a whipping boy, I’m not starting with the guy who nets nearly 40 goals, even if it’s in a contract year. Mine would be whoever didn’t realize this season was going off the tracks until it was way too late. 

For me, this is whole season boils down to one of two possibilities. They either didn’t realize everything was crumbling, or they did but had their eyes set on a year or two down the road. I’m not too crazy about either, but that first one terrifies me. 

• Like (+1) 1

This team is such a mess....the def is putrid....be interesting to see how they would justify bringing housley back and if it involves the owner telling us how he was a great player I’ll throw the ***** up.

38 minutes ago, zevo said:

This team is such a mess....the def is putrid....be interesting to see how they would justify bringing housley back and if it involves the owner telling us how he was a great player I’ll throw the ***** up.

Well, to be fair, the D is missing three of its best players in Bogo, McCabe, and Risto. Not that they’d help that much, but they’d be better than what’s out there tonight. Not saying much, I know.