Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

The most useless waste of time is giving seriousness to what any coach/manager says after a game in any pro sport. What are people waiting to here from a coach after a game? Is the coach going to publicly say that the other team is demonstrably better? That the other players are more capable?  Some people are enamored with the outbursts of volatile coaches such as Tortorella or some other bombastic fools. They are a bore. 

Why even waste your time with the post-game interviews? What is to be learned from the standard vapid clichés spouted by the coaches and players after the game? The notion that anything can be meaningfully deemed from a post game interview is an absurdity. More often than not the coach at the podium is not the person who is coaching at practice and behind the bench. The idea that one is waiting to hear this or that to prove this or that from a post-game interview makes no sense. 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The most useless waste of time is giving seriousness to what any coach/manager says after a game in any pro sport. What are people waiting to here from a coach after a game? Is the coach going to publicly say that the other team is demonstrably better? That the other players are more capable?  Some people are enamored with the outbursts of volatile coaches such as Tortorella or some other bombastic fools. They are a bore. 

Why even waste your time with the post-game interviews? What is to be learned from the standard vapid clichés spouted by the coaches and players after the game? The notion that anything can be meaningfully deemed from a post game interview is an absurdity. More often than not the coach at the podium is not the person who is coaching at practice and behind the bench. The idea that one is waiting to hear this or that to prove this or that from a post-game interview makes no sense. 

I generally agree and didn't like the way people focused on Jauron's pressers.  He got ok results with less than ok talent, but his demeanor got him in trouble with superjock fans.

Housley has a similar approach in interviews.  The difference is that Housley has some talent to work with and they are going backwards.  The on ice results are undeniable.  More importantly than that even, would be the challenge of naming even one player who has consistently improved as the season has gone on.  Ullmark is a maybe.  Rodrigues?  How about regressing players?  It's half of the damn roster.  Dahlin looked like all everything when the season started but now?  Mistakes are far more frequent.   Risto?  Thompson?  Casey?  Hutton?  So many more. 

Something needs drastic change.  I'm not 100% certain it is the coach, but that seems most likely.  Seattle looks more bound for the playoffs than Buffalo and they don't even exist.

59 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why even waste your time with the post-game interviews? What is to be learned from the standard vapid clichés spouted by the coaches and players after the game? The notion that anything can be meaningfully deemed from a post game interview is an absurdity. 

I've always considered it to be one of the rationales reporters use to justify being at the games.

"Hey, Mr. Editor, I was there in case the players or coach said something newsworthy, so please sign my expense report for the hotel and bar bill I ran up...."

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I’m waiting to hear something different. Anything different than the constant losers’s lament he dishes out after every game, like his go to “I liked our game”, crap every night. If you can’t show imagination and creativity on the ice,  at least try it off the ice. Not too much to ask, imo.

Then again, he’s failed in every other area as a head coach, so perhaps I’m asking too much. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I’m waiting to hear something different. Anything different than the constant losers’s lament he dishes out after every game, like his go to “I liked our game”, crap every night. If you can’t show imagination and creativity on the ice,  at least try it off the ice. Not too much to ask, imo.

Then again, he’s failed in every other area as a head coach, so perhaps I’m asking too much. 

You'll have to keep waiting for another year because he will be back on the bench and behind the podium next year. Whether it is McDermott or Housley the post game responses are nothing but blather. What do you expect: A Shakespearean oration? 

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I generally agree and didn't like the way people focused on Jauron's pressers.  He got ok results with less than ok talent, but his demeanor got him in trouble with superjock fans.

Housley has a similar approach in interviews.  The difference is that Housley has some talent to work with and they are going backwards.  The on ice results are undeniable.  More importantly than that even, would be the challenge of naming even one player who has consistently improved as the season has gone on.  Ullmark is a maybe.  Rodrigues?  How about regressing players?  It's half of the damn roster.  Dahlin looked like all everything when the season started but now?  Mistakes are far more frequent.   Risto?  Thompson?  Casey?  Hutton?  So many more. 

Something needs drastic change.  I'm not 100% certain it is the coach, but that seems most likely.  Seattle looks more bound for the playoffs than Buffalo and they don't even exist.

Housley isn't sparkling behind the podium and neither is McDermott. Who really gives a dam? 

Just about every outside and local hockey analyst predicted before the season started that the Sabres would be where they currently reside. It's was based on their talent level. Some people blame the coach for what they consider an unexpected failure. I don't. When you have a deficit you work with your deficit. It's as simple as that. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You'll have to keep waiting for another year because he will be back on the bench and behind the podium next year. Whether it is McDermott or Housley the post game responses are nothing but blather. What do you expect: A Shakespearean oration? 

At least McDermott shows some clue that he knows the game and can coach it at times. And while bland in his pressers, he at least trots out a variety of cliches and I don’t think I’ve ever heard him say, “I liked our game”, after getting their asses handed to them; something Housley says all the time. I find it insulting. 

But like you said, JBotts is committed to bringing him back and I’ve accepted another year of poor coaching next season. He sucks in every area a coach can suck in. But if you or anyone else can point me to an area in which he excels, I’m more than willing to stand corrected. 

I know, I know, it’s all the players’ fault. 

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

At least McDermott shows some clue that he knows the game and can coach it at times. And while bland in his pressers, he at least trots out a variety of cliches and I don’t think I’ve ever heard him say, “I liked our game”, after getting their asses handed to them; something Housley says all the time. I find it insulting. 

But like you said, JBotts is committed to bringing him back and I’ve accepted another year of poor coaching next season. He sucks in every area a coach can suck in. But if you or anyone else can point me to an area in which he excels, I’m more than willing to stand corrected. 

I know, I know, it’s all the players’ fault. 

McDermott is just as bland and vapid as Housley with his post game and interview comments. I like McDermott and believe in what he is doing. But let's not get carried away with over-assessing his record. I'm  willing to give McDermott the time, as I am to Housley, to judge them based on the talent each as to work with. 

If you believe that Housley is so grotesquely inept, then believe it. I'm certainly not going to alter your entrenched opinion. But if your assessment of Housley is as you believe it to be then logically you have to have the same jaundiced opinion of Botterill who is keeping the coach for another year. 

I'll repeat what I said before. Every outside and local hockey analyst predicted that the Sabres would generally be in the position where they are at. Their predictions were based on the talent level. And that's exactly where they are at. 

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

McDermott is just as bland and vapid as Housley with his post game and interview comments. I like McDermott and believe in what he is doing. But let's not get carried away with over-assessing his record. I'm  willing to give McDermott the time, as I am to Housley, to judge them based on the talent each as to work with. 

If you believe that Housley is so grotesquely inept, then believe it. I'm certainly not going to alter your entrenched opinion. But if your assessment of Housley is as you believe it to be then logically you have to have the same jaundiced opinion of Botterill who is keeping the coach for another year. 

I'll repeat what I said before. Every outside and local hockey analyst predicted that the Sabres would generally be in the position where they are at. Their predictions were based on the talent level. And that's exactly where they are at. 

About those outside and local hockey analysts, they projected us in the mid eighties last year, too. Saw one that had us in the low 90s. Coach clueless promptly set them straight by finishing last with 62 and ruining the best PP in the league to boot. Oops.

And my gripe isn’t that Housley is bland, it’s that he says the dumbest things after losing, the most egregious of which is, “I liked our game.” I can’t believe anyone is ok with that loser’s lament. 

The only gripe I ape I have with JBotts is his endorsement of Housley. I’m convinced he screwed the pooch on the coaching hire. Doesn’t matter, he’s coming back next year. But sooner or later he will be exposed as the interim coach he is because he won’t be here when we become a cup contender.

hey @JohnC , quick question and I am not doing this to be an arse..well not anymore than normal!!!

As you know, I am a firm believer winning breeds continuity, continuity does not breed winning.

Is there a coach out there in the last twenty years in any of the sports who finished next to last , or generally just awful , the last two seasons and then came back to win a playoff game/series? 

I just never see that happen...and the teams that stick with coaches for continuity sake always seem to fire before they ever have a winning season anyway, just took longer to get the fresh face in.

The one I will give you to start is Brett Brown for the 76's, but that is a unique situation over the last 6 years. 

Edited by plenzmd1

40 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

hey @JohnC , quick question and I am not doing this to be an arse..well not anymore than normal!!!

As you know, I am a firm believer winning breeds continuity, continuity does not breed winning.

Is there a coach out there in the last twenty years in any of the sports who finished next to last , or generally just awful , the last two seasons and then came back to win a playoff game/series? 

I just never see that happen...and the teams that stick with coaches for continuity sake always seem to fire before they ever have a winning season anyway, just took longer to get the fresh face in.

The one I will give you to start is Brett Brown for the 76's, but that is a unique situation over the last 6 years. 

Joe Torre pre NYY vs. Joe Torre as NYY manager. That’s my best guess.

I’m going to look it up.

Maybe Terry Francona, too. Pre Red Sox vs. post Red Sox. 

Edit:

Torre managed 115 games in 1994 (Cardinals) 52-61 3rd place

Managed 47 games in 1995 (Cards) 20-27

In 1996 he went to the Yankees and won the WS (92-70 record)

Francona managed the Phillies in 2000 and went 65-97.

He was out of baseball for three full seasons.

In 2004 he went 98-64 and won the WS. 

Edit #2:

Larry Robinson sucked as LA Kings head coach and went to NJD (a Lou Lamoriello production) and won a cup in his first season as head coach there (2000/01 season).

Edited by snafu

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Incredibly disappointing season - and the coach must and will pay for it with his termination. Nothing else is acceptable. 

But, WHO??

The Sabres season (0.523 so far) is no more--or less--acceptable / disappointing than than the Bills season (0.375).   Is McD getting shown the door as well?   

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The Sabres season (0.523 so far) is no more--or less--acceptable / disappointing than than the Bills season (0.375).   Is McD getting shown the door as well?   

No, because his team made the playoffs the previous season and the FO intent to shed huge contracts was understood and accepted. Not the case with the Sabres -who regressed despite better talent than the previous year. 0-10-1 following a win. 

If the Bills crap the bed next season, there’ll be Hell to pay.

Buffalo mentioned twice in Friedman’s latest 31 thoughts:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-golden-knights-won-mark-stone-sweepstakes/

24. It has not gone unnoticed that Buffalo has four right-hand shot defencemen under contract for next season: Montour, Zach BogosianCasey Nelson and Rasmus Ristolainen.

31. Last week was the deadline for Patrik Berglund to appeal his voided contract. He did not do so, ending the process. Just wanted to wish Berglund all the best in getting himself to a better place. That’s what matters most.

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

No, because his team made the playoffs the previous season and the FO intent to shed huge contracts was understood and accepted. Not the case with the Sabres -who regressed despite better talent than the previous year. 0-10-1 following a win. 

If the Bills crap the bed next season, there’ll be Hell to pay.

The Bills made the playoffs because of a fluke.  Should McD get a pass for that??   It was a cosmic joke, not great coaching.

The Sabres are in just as much of a rebuild, and how you can call this season a "regression" from 2017-18 (62 points, 0.378) is odd to me.   Aside from Skinner and Dahlin, the talent level hasn't gone up much at all.   They still have only 1-2 competent lines and 3-4 D-men.   The goaltending is a hair better, but not a lot.

Even assuming they went 0.500 during the ten game streak rather than win them all, they'd be at a 0.480 win % or 63 points--topping last year's entire season total with 17 games to go.   

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Incredibly disappointing season - and the coach must and will pay for it with his termination. Nothing else is acceptable. 

But, WHO??

What's the deal with Quenneville? Is there some obvious reason he wouldn't be someone to look at if Housely walks the plank?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

What's the deal with Quenneville? Is there some obvious reason he wouldn't be someone to look at if Housely walks the plank?

Nope...was reported a while ago he was just going to take the rest of the season after he was fired to decompress and re-energize. My fervent hope is the JBOTs already has feelers out to him, and Houslety has not been pooped cannned cause he  knows Q is coming as soon as the season ends

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Nope...was reported a while ago he was just going to take the rest of the season after he was fired to decompress and re-energize. My fervent hope is the JBOTTs already has fellers out to him, and Houslet has not been pooped can cause we know Q is coming as soon as the season ends

I'm willing to buy John C's patience with young players, but I want a coach I trust to bring championships.