Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

I am pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be Wilson who got the call. But IMO they called up the guy who deserves it most. Smith has been on fire since being sent back down. This was the right move IMO. Sends the right message to Rochester players. 

And i I love that they made s roster move to make space for Smith. 

Shaking up the line combinations quite a bit. I am hoping Maybe this spreads out the scoring. Had to try something, right? They can always put Eichel, Skinner and Reinhart back together during the game if they need a goal (like Pittsburgh does with Malkin, Crosby and Kessel). 

Seems worth s try at least. They need to do something. 

Edited by BillsFan4

2 minutes ago, GG said:

The bigger message/sign should be in who Housley sits when he plays Smith

They waived Elie to make room and Larsson is day to day with an injury so I don’t think he has to bench anyone at the moment. But I agree once Larsson is back (assuming that smith plays well enough in the next game(s) to earn his spot)

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

McDavid has a playoff appearance, does he not?

One good season for the team and now they're spiraling down the drain.  Is "hey, they made it once" really the standard you want to use for your rating scale?

Just now, shrader said:

One good season for the team and now they're spiraling down the drain.  Is "hey, they made it once" really the standard you want to use for your rating scale?

Last I checked 1 > 0

and it's not like the Sabres aren't swirling, either.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Last I checked 1 > 0

and it's not like the Sabres aren't swirling, either.

So how exactly is this a defense of your stance that players are overrated due to team results?  Hell, Dahlin has been in the league for a grand total of half a season, feel free to explain how that reflects poorly upon him.

This team's current issues really boil down to two things.  There's the lack of secondary scoring that we've been harping on for a while and then there's the so called starting goalie who can't seem to stop a beachball anymore.

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I wanted to see Wilson.

But I did like how Smith played in the limited times I saw him. 

Smith is at a point per game (41pts in 41 games) in Rochester and leading the team in scoring/points. He has been their best forward this year and was probably their best forward last year as well. Plus he has been on a tear even since the Sabres sent him down. I think he had a hat-trick his first night back and has scored or at least recorded a point in almost every game since. 

Wilson has only played 9 games in Rochester (after missing 1/2 a season) and has 2 goals. I think some more time down there may do him good. I’m sure we will see him at some point this season. We could use his motor and physicality. But IMO Smith earned this callup more than Wilson.

Smith really shouldn’t have even been sent back down IMO. He scored a goal and had his best game in a Sabres uniform, then was promptly sent down (but he was caught in a numbers game in Buffalo). I feel that it was the right move to waive Elie to make room for Smith. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not the players I was expecting to be traded...

Oh man, that Duchene trade is looking more and more brutal for Ottawa. If they end up trading him for Dubinsky... yikes! 

They still owe Colorado their 1st round pick this year too (and Ottawa currently sits dead last, so it very wel could be the #1 overall pick (Jack Hughes)). 

I honestly feel bad for Ottawa fans. 

Edit - maybe things didn’t go too well? 

Edited by BillsFan4

26 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Good! They have to try something different because what they’re doing now isn’t working. 

As as much as I love Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart together I’ve actually been curious to see them on separate lines for a bit now. It’s great having one super line, but buffalo just doesn’t have the scoring depth with all 3 of our best scorers on the same line.

I don’t know if it will work but it definitely seems like it’s worth a try IMO. If it spreads out the scoring it could be just what buffalo needs. 

What do they have to lose at this point? If it doesn’t work you can put them back together. Or give them shifts together during a game if they need a big goal. 

I hope they give these new line combos a legit chance (meaning more than just 1/2 a game). 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Housley must have listened to K-9's and Plezmd's exhortations. The coach's thinking was that for the short term he is getting away from the hound dogs. I'm sure he realizes that he is on a short leash with them. :)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Housley must have listened to K-9's and Plezmd's exhortations. The coach's thinking was that for the short term he is getting away from the hound dogs. I'm sure he realizes that he is on a short leash with them. :)

or maybe, just maybe, he realized getting points at a .350 clip was not exactly the goal...and finishing dead last two years in a row is not s recipe for long term career success.?