Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, bbb said:

That's unbelievable! 

Not really. Housley led us to a .414 point clip last year. A 16 point REDUCTION from Bylsma’s last season the year before. 

Toss out that fluky but immensely enjoyable 10 game streak and he’s coaching at the same point clip and maybe a tad worse the last 26 games.

Snafu:"The team hasn’t competed for 16th place into its 6th straight year.  I’m not asking for a ***** Stanley Cup contender — I don’t think anyone is".

The team is in 16th place right now. A few points out of playoff position with 30 games left and you guys are completely giving up and writing them off?  They are obviously not the most talented team but I think they are competing and trending in the right direction. Hopefully they can put another couple win streaks together and make the playoffs, a big step in the right direction. I am not giving up on these guys yet.

2 or 3 1st rnd picks in this years draft coming up as well. 

^^^^^^

I’m not too hopeful that they stay there.  They are not 16th and rising.  They are not holding at 16th. They’re visiting 16th on the way to 24th. Can they turn it around? Maybe.  Do I think they should be active at the deadline? Yes, as long as it makes sense and has benefits beyond this season.

9 minutes ago, snafu said:

^^^^^^

I’m not too hopeful that they stay there.  They are not 16th and rising.  They are not holding at 16th. They’re visiting 16th on the way to 24th. Can they turn it around? Maybe.  Do I think they should be active at the deadline? Yes, as long as it makes sense and has benefits beyond this season.

I agree, in a funk lately but I am still hopeful they can turn it around.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Snafu:"The team hasn’t competed for 16th place into its 6th straight year.  I’m not asking for a ***** Stanley Cup contender — I don’t think anyone is".

The team is in 16th place right now. A few points out of playoff position with 30 games left and you guys are completely giving up and writing them off?  They are obviously not the most talented team but I think they are competing and trending in the right direction. Hopefully they can put another couple win streaks together and make the playoffs, a big step in the right direction. I am not giving up on these guys yet.

Not giving up so much as accepting that this team very much resembles last year’s in terms of results and little about them resembles a bonafide playoff contender. And I have to respectfully disagree about how we are trending. We are the worst team in the league since  our streak ended. That’s just not a positive trend no matter how I look at it.

31 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not giving up so much as accepting that this team very much resembles last year’s in terms of results and little about them resembles a bonafide playoff contender. And I have to respectfully disagree about how we are trending. We are the worst team in the league since  our streak ended. That’s just not a positive trend no matter how I look at it.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, hoping I have a reason to watch them til the end. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Trending in the right direction, eh?

They are 3-7-0 in their last 10, and 7-13 in their last 20 going back to early December. 

Currently on a 2 game losing streak, and we have had 2 shaky, soft, weakly played games in a row with questionable team effort.

What about this "trend" looks "right" to you?

11 minutes ago, snafu said:

Dahlin is an 18 year old rookie who’s never lived in this country (or spoke English, I think) before he was drafted. 

Eichel is fine.

And he is on pace to have the 2nd best rookie season for an 18yr old NHL defenseman in the history of the NHL (better than Bobby Orr’s rookie season...). 

It is pretty rare for an 18yr old defenseman to even play in the NHL at all, let alone in a somewhat unsheltered top 4 role. Dahlin is not only doing it, but looking good doing it.

He makes his mistakes for sure, but generally, he one of the Sabres better defenseman on a given night and does things no other Sabres d-man could even dream of doing (or many good, veteran NHL defenseman for that matter). 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Perhaps eichel and dahlin overrated?

no way.  Have you watched them this season?  Dahlin makes amazing plays look routine.  And Jack-Skinner-Reinhart is one of top lines in NHL

secondary scoring is the #1 problem on the Sabres IMO.  Once they get better play from lines 2-4 they will really make some noise

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Show me "stars" that deliver less.

Do you watch the games? Eichel is now one of the best players in the league who is still honing his game. Dahlin is an 18 yr old player who already is already a  solid to good player. There is no doubt that he is inconsistent. What do you expect from an 18 yr. old rookie who is playing in North America for the first time?  There isn't a sober NHL commentator who doesn't say that in the not too distant future he is going to be one of the best players in the league, and maybe a generational player. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
20 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Show me "stars" that deliver less.

Dahlin is setting records for 18 year old rookie defensemen.  Literally breaking records set by Bobby Orr.  Pretty ignorant statement on your part.

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Dahlin is setting records for 18 year old rookie defensemen.  Literally breaking records set by Bobby Orr.  Pretty ignorant statement on your part.

OK, perhaps I was harsh on Dahlin.

I'm not yet sold on Eichel as a team leader and 'generational' type.

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

OK, perhaps I was harsh on Dahlin.

I'm not yet sold on Eichel as a team leader and 'generational' type.

Eichel is 21st in the league in points per game. I'll take players like him all day.

The other lines need to do more. The Sabres have 3 first rounders in the upcoming draft which is supposed to be a pretty good one. They need to hit on those picks and get some depth scoring.