New York State abortion bill now allows babies, At any point of pregnancy, to be aborted

Beast

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

'All the left had to be was not crazy...'

The strengthening of abortion laws around the country is a backlash to the change in laws in places like NYS and VA. Not only did the Left go too far but they did it in a brazen manner and rubbed the Pro Life people's faces in it.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The strengthening of abortion laws around the country is a backlash to the change in laws in places like NYS and VA. Not only did the Left go too far but they did it in a brazen manner and rubbed the Pro Life people's faces in it.

Interesting thought, but I disagree. I think those changes were a pre-emptive strike for what many knew was coming with the stacking of the Supreme Court deck. Abortion is one thing where Repubs can’t stop themselves.  Right wing crazies ( at least as bad as the left wing nuts ) have been waiting forever to try to control others personal choices based on religious crap. Freedom of religion is fine, until their overwhelming need for everyone else to buy in takes over. They just can’t help themselves. I can’t stand the vast majority of the lefties nonsense, but I’m an equal opportunity hater of righty stupidity as well. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting thought, but I disagree. I think those changes were a pre-emptive strike for what many knew was coming with the stacking of the Supreme Court deck. Abortion is one thing where Repubs can’t stop themselves.  Right wing crazies ( at least as bad as the left wing nuts ) have been waiting forever to try to control others personal choices based on religious crap. Freedom of religion is fine, until their overwhelming need for everyone else to buy in takes over. They just can’t help themselves. I can’t stand the vast majority of the lefties nonsense, but I’m an equal opportunity hater of righty stupidity as well. 

Did you listen to Governor Northam or see video of the NYS Assembly cheering and the Empire State Building lit up when the bill was signed? You are conflating religion with standards of decency. Are you not abhorred with infanticide being relabeled as "late term abortion"?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Did you listen to Governor Northam or see video of the NYS Assembly cheering and the Empire State Building lit up when the bill was signed? You are conflating religion with standards of decency. Are you not abhorred with infanticide being relabeled as "late term abortion"?

No, I didn’t see it. Political posturing I’m sure. I’m not for “ late term abortion” or whatever they want to call it. However, six weeks seems too restrictive. It seems all reason goes out the window when these two sides butt heads. I’m not abhorred by it as it just seems like an overreaction to the extremism on the other side. I don’t know for sure, but I’d guess it hardly ever happens. Who waits that long? Most are probably performed far earlier than that. I think it should be legal up to a certain point, which would be much sooner than “late term”. That’s about it. I’m not an expert, but it would seem a very risky procedure at that late stage. Keep it legal, have some kind of ( reasonable) restrictions on it and that’s about it. I don’t expect decency when it comes to wingnuts, be they righties or lefties. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Not only that, but this up-to-birth abortion nonsense has pissed off a lot of people who would have otherwise supported keeping the status quo.

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No, I didn’t see it. Political posturing I’m sure. I’m not for “ late term abortion” or whatever they want to call it. However, six weeks seems too restrictive. It seems all reason goes out the window when these two sides butt heads. I’m not abhorred by it as it just seems like an overreaction to the extremism on the other side. I don’t know for sure, but I’d guess it hardly ever happens. Who waits that long? Most are probably performed far earlier than that. I think it should be legal up to a certain point, which would be much sooner than “late term”. That’s about it. I’m not an expert, but it would seem a very risky procedure at that late stage. Keep it legal, have some kind of ( reasonable) restrictions on it and that’s about it. I don’t expect decency when it comes to wingnuts, be they righties or lefties. 

Northam literally made a case for "post-birth abortion."

I still think he misspoke, off-the-cuff in response to an unanticipated question in a radio interview, and didn't mean what he said.  But he sure as shitfire said it.  Worse, when called out, Democrats, instead of saying "He stated himself poorly," chose to defend him with condescending "War on women!" nonsense.  Which they now flat-out choose to deny even happened.  They took an error and made it in to an odious, even evil, policy position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah, I love these histrionics. Every single time Roe could have been overturned (with the left flipping out about it), it wasn't.

Can you honestly say Northam's comments about killing babies after birth, or Cuomo's up-to-the-moment-of-birth abortion law are a reasonable "preemptive strike" against a potential maybe reversal of an incredibly unconstitutional compromise decision? This was a stupidly-executed political overreach, pure and simple.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

The "heartbeat" laws are unrealistic and are basically just another way to make abortion illegal. I've heard that a woman might not know they are pregnant until after she's been pregnant for 6 weeks or more. Since 6 weeks is about the time that a fetus's heartbeat can first be heard, those laws for all intents and purposes don't give a woman the opportunity to even make the decision. I'm not for abortion, but I'm not for making that decision for another person. The consequences of the decision to have or not have an abortion is between the mother and their God. Most reasonable people are absolutely against and aghast at late term abortions.

We make laws for all kinds of purposes. Abortion is not some sacrosanct right automatically afforded women. It can and should be regulated (philosophically speaking) to the norms of society. Face it, the abortion debate is as divisive as it gets. A compromise based on reasonable standards of decency should be found. A fetus can be viable outside the womb at 20 weeks. A woman is going to know she is pregnant certainly by 8-10 weeks. She is going to need time make a decision and time to make an appointment. It would seem to me that 13 weeks or so would be sufficient time to make a decision and get the procedure if that is the choice. In recent years we've had what I would call an uneasy abortion truce that was often broken but generally held. The two sides to this debate have taken positions that are intolerable to each other. Unless cooler heads prevail, a shitstorm is in our future.

57 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The "heartbeat" laws are unrealistic and are basically just another way to make abortion illegal. I've heard that a woman might not know they are pregnant until after she's been pregnant for 6 weeks or more. Since 6 weeks is about the time that a fetus's heartbeat can first be heard, those laws for all intents and purposes don't give a woman the opportunity to even make the decision. I'm not for abortion, but I'm not for making that decision for another person. The consequences of the decision to have or not have an abortion is between the mother and their God. Most reasonable people are absolutely against and aghast at late term abortions.

We make laws for all kinds of purposes. Abortion is not some sacrosanct right automatically afforded women. It can and should be regulated (philosophically speaking) to the norms of society. Face it, the abortion debate is as divisive as it gets. A compromise based on reasonable standards of decency should be found. A fetus can be viable outside the womb at 20 weeks. A woman is going to know she is pregnant certainly by 8-10 weeks. She is going to need time make a decision and time to make an appointment. It would seem to me that 13 weeks or so would be sufficient time to make a decision and get the procedure if that is the choice. In recent years we've had what I would call an uneasy abortion truce that was often broken but generally held. The two sides to this debate have taken positions that are intolerable to each other. Unless cooler heads prevail, a shitstorm is in our future.

I’m against murdering people.  I don’t care how inconvenient those people are.

5 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Yeah, I love these histrionics. Every single time Roe could have been overturned (with the left flipping out about it), it wasn't.

Can you honestly say Northam's comments about killing babies after birth, or Cuomo's up-to-the-moment-of-birth abortion law are a reasonable "preemptive strike" against a potential maybe reversal of an incredibly unconstitutional compromise decision? This was a stupidly-executed political overreach, pure and simple.

Reasonable ? No , never said it was reasonable. I also didn’t say I support it. I didn’t see his comments, and just about anything Cuomo does is far from reasonable. I’d still guess it was done in anticipation of an assault from the other side. 

5 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Not only that, but this up-to-birth abortion nonsense has pissed off a lot of people who would have otherwise supported keeping the status quo.

The status quo is the compromise position. While the Dems actions are nonsense, it’s still a reaction to the attack from the other side. You can’t negotiate down from the status quo. So they went crazy off the deep end in the other direction. Just my opinion though. 

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The status quo is the compromise position. While the Dems actions are nonsense, it’s still a reaction to the attack from the other side. You can’t negotiate down from the status quo. So they went crazy off the deep end in the other direction. Just my opinion though. 

Lol they reacted to something that hasn't happened.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1