(OT) What was your first management

ajzepp

By the way, you should also get one of those signs for your office that says "The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves."

That's always a big hit with new employees.

289218[/snapback]

LOL, that actually may be more appropriate than you think....from what I understand, the new management has already gotten rid of a handful of bad apples.....might as well milk the perception that has already been created :blink:

Hired right out college (1979) in the JC Penney management program. I was a cocky kid with great grades and was ready to be a management "professional". My first year I was instructed to clean someone's vomit of the floor, unplug a toilet and work the switchboard during my evening shift. All due to cutbacks... management did every duty the lay-offs would have done. Learned to hate weekends and holidays (because you always work them in retail) and even had to miss an occassional Bill's game!!!!!!

Worked in the program for 4 years and got out of retail forever!

I must say though, that they had an excellent training program for new management. I have carried many of the ideals they taught (not counting bathroom, switchboard, etc.) into my business career. It is amazing how few companies teach you the basic fundamentals you need to be a successful manager.

Take the good with the bad and use your initial management experience as a learning tool. God, I hate retail!

Hired right out college (1979) in the JC Penney management program. I was a cocky kid with great grades and was ready to be a management "professional". My first year I was instructed to clean someone's vomit of the floor, unplug a toilet and work the switchboard during my evening shift. All due to cutbacks... management did every duty the lay-offs would have done. Learned to hate weekends and holidays (because you always work them in retail) and even had to miss an occassional Bill's game!!!!!!

Worked in the program for 4 years and got out of retail forever!

I must say though, that they had an excellent training program for new management. I have carried many of the ideals they taught (not counting bathroom, switchboard, etc.) into my business career. It is amazing how few companies teach you the basic fundamentals you need to be a successful manager.

Take the good with the bad and use your initial management experience as a learning tool. God, I hate retail!

289285[/snapback]

lol......just out of curiosity, what are you doing now?

lol......just out of curiosity, what are you doing now?

289290[/snapback]

VP Operations/Quality for an large wholesale hardware distributor. The documentation, appraisal and as mentioned before "treat others as you wish to be treated" training have helped my career immensely.

VP Operations/Quality for an large wholesale hardware distributor. The documentation, appraisal and as mentioned before "treat others as you wish to be treated" training have helped my career immensely.

289297[/snapback]

OKay, good......I wanted to wait to hear your answer before I officially laughed at LA's comment :blink:

The best advice that I can give you is to treat people the way you would want to be treated. Also everyone takes things differently. Talk to each staff member as if they are special but stay firm. Don't allow yourself to be soft at first or else you'll get walked on, on a daily basis. Be organized and plan ahead while being a leader.

The best advice that I can give you is to treat people the way you would want to be treated.  Also everyone takes things differently.  Talk to each staff member as if they are special but stay firm.  Don't allow yourself to be soft at first or else you'll get walked on, on a daily basis.  Be organized and plan ahead while being a leader.

289308[/snapback]

Thanks, bro.....appreciate it :blink:

The best advice that I can give you is to treat people the way you would want to be treated.  Also everyone takes things differently.  Talk to each staff member as if they are special but stay firm.  Don't allow yourself to be soft at first or else you'll get walked on, on a daily basis.  Be organized and plan ahead while being a leader.

289308[/snapback]

This is some of the best advice in the thread. People that treat everyone "the same" are doomed. It's like an offensive coordinator that uses his pet schemes no matter who he has for personnel (think Dan Henning 1997).

1. Golden Rule; Dignity and respect go far.

2. Do what you say you're going to do.

Everything else is cream cheese.

This is some of the best advice in the thread.  People that treat everyone "the same" are doomed.  It's like an offensive coordinator that uses his pet schemes no matter who he has for personnel (think Dan Henning 1997).

1.  Golden Rule; Dignity and respect go far.

2.  Do what you say you're going to do.

Everything else is cream cheese.

289321[/snapback]

Another thing that I always keep in mind is also setting good examples by action. And I wouldn't ask my staff members to do anything that I wouldn't do myself.