Van Miller Estate Auction

I wish I were still in Buffalo to pick up something’s no from the auction especially for my Dad who was friends with half him and Larry Felser as my father worked at the Buffalo News for 44 years.

Amazingly, my Dad is still kicking at age 88.

i you guys have fun next week, and would love to hear if anyone from TBD, bids and gets something.  Please let us know.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I wish I were still in Buffalo to pick up something’s no from the auction especially for my Dad who was friends with half him and Larry Felser as my father worked at the Buffalo News for 44 years.

Amazingly, my Dad is still kicking at age 88.

i you guys have fun next week, and would love to hear if anyone from TBD, bids and gets something.  Please let us know.

Yup same here.  Did you dad working on the technical side of the printing press (before everyone was done digitally?).

He left super early and always thought his job was so cool

8 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Some of his items were listed online last February.  There were some of his awards, rings and other items.  I thought some items went lower than expected.

A piece of Bills history for fans.

Does he have an AFC Championship ring?

4 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

If I recall there was an AFL championship ring for sale.  Do not recall an AFC ring from him.

I have seen Bills AFC rings at the same site - I purchased one over the summer that was an office employee, not a player.  Andre Reed had 2 rings for sale last month.  IM me and I will give you the auction site.  They had a football focused sale during the super bowl last year.

Fun Fact: Van Miller and my grandfather were lifelong best friends. They grew up in Dunkirk together. My grandfather would do crazy stuff and Van would solicit money for him to do it. They’d split it at the end of the day. When my grandfather passed away Van couldn’t do it. His wife came but he couldn’t do it. I loved that guy!! #lamp

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Yup same here.  Did you dad working on the technical side of the printing press (before everyone was done digitally?).

He left super early and always thought his job was so cool

No he was an advertising executive and knew every person in that building.  He survived the Courier days, spoke with Warren Buffett once a year with the other execs, and he told me a nice story where Mr. Wilson left a News meeting, and they both walked together towards I think M&T bank.  He said he was nothing but a gentleman and once in the bank, my Dad told me he spent another 10 minutes talking about the Bills.

i know he loved working there, and helped me with a college job there when home.  It was always nice talking to Murray Light, the editor as he was another friend of my father and spoke at his retirement.  Outside of working the docks, I delivered all the inter office mail, and a treat for me was I was Stan Lipsey’s Driver to get him to the airport, who was the Publisher.

Anyway, fond memories for him, and myself.  I’m going to see if my sister can go to the auction, to get something small.  My dad would. Love. That.