Nate Burleson Speaks On The Firing Of African American Coaches

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's the point being raised - it was considered eyebrow-raising to fire Rex after only 2 years, that being considered "not enough time"

Firing a new coach after an interval not generally considered enough time to put his stamp on a program (competent or not)  begs the question "why were they fired then?"

It's possible it was incompetence.  Maybe Wilks was a total tire fire as a HC. 

Don't know.  It just raises eyebrows especially when the GM who brought the guys in is still seated.

Was it really? He took a championship caliber defense and made them a mess in less than 2 years. It wasn't a rebuild , that should require at least 3 years, he was supposed to take a competitive team and put them in the playoffs immediately.

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

maybe I should watch it again, but I think his point is overall representation should be larger, ownership, GM and onto head coaches. He's not talking racism, just opportunity.

why should it be larger?

Just now, Tcali said:

why should it be larger?

It's something he wants to see, it's his desire. And that's ok. He's not forcing his view on anyone, not starting a boycott... It's a pretty harmless video in my opinion. Nothing wrong with Nate Burleson hoping that blacks would be more represented in upper management.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's the point being raised - it was considered eyebrow-raising to fire Rex after only 2 years, that being considered "not enough time"

Firing a new coach after an interval not generally considered enough time to put his stamp on a program (competent or not)  begs the question "why were they fired then?"

It's possible it was incompetence.  Maybe Wilks was a total tire fire as a HC. 

Don't know.  It just raises eyebrows especially when the GM who brought the guys in is still seated.

Mularkey was fired after one year.  Tosula, Mora, Cameron, and Groh were all one year coaches off the top of my head.

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It's something he wants to see, it's his desire. And that's ok. He's not forcing his view on anyone, not starting a boycott... It's a pretty harmless video in my opinion. Nothing wrong with Nate Burleson hoping that blacks would be more represented in upper management.

why SHOULD blacks be more represented? thats my question

Just now, Tcali said:

why SHOULD blacks be more represented? thats my question

Nobody is saying they should be, at least that's how I'm interpreting the video. It's his wish, his desire. Who knows, maybe a change like that will make the league better.  In any instance, it we limit the pool that we choose from, we probably miss out on some real talent.

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Was it really? He took a championship caliber defense and made them a mess in less than 2 years. It wasn't a rebuild , that should require at least 3 years, he was supposed to take a competitive team and put them in the playoffs immediately.

Well, I seem to remember that sentiment being copiously expressed at the time.

I of course, am of your exact belief that he messed up a #4 D in 2 years and deserved to be fired.

Vance Joseph in Denver was in the same situation and I can understand why the plug got pulled there.

But yes, overall, it seems as though whenever a coach gets less than 3 years pundits and others are saying "he really wasn't given enough time".

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Nagy didn't play in the NFL.

I listed the top active coaches in W-L.  And most of them didn't play in the NFL.  Sorry dude.

Nothing to be sorry for you don’t know what you’re talking about. Not a sin. Nagy played football in the arena league for several years. As in, did not go directly into coaching. You picked what? 8 guys? 8 guys to prove your “point” that most coaches did not play any amount of pro football and started coaching from the jump? And you omit the current defending super bowl champion coach in your cherry pickings? Yeah. I am the one that needs to apologize to you. Clearly you should be left alone to spout off nonsense and not be challenged. You’re not ready for it.

16 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I'm sorry, but Wilks and Joseph teams were offensively devoid of talent. In Joseph case a lot of their problems should sit squarely on Elway's shoulders. Signed a backup to a big contract. Trade #1 WR away. Wilks in game decisions were questionable, but had a rookie QB with an aging Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson. On the other hand, Marrone went from AFC Championship game to having a team as dysfunctional as the Bengals and still employed

Elway should be gone as well but he is surviving on a Superbowl Championship which is currency Joseph doesnt have.  Wilks was clearly in over his head.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I seem to remember that sentiment being copiously expressed at the time.

I of course, am of your exact belief that he messed up a #4 D in 2 years and deserved to be fired.

Vance Joseph in Denver was in the same situation and I can understand why the plug got pulled there.

But yes, overall, it seems as though whenever a coach gets less than 3 years pundits and others are saying "he really wasn't given enough time".

Shows how crucial it is to make the correct head coaching hire. Sets the organization way back each time you start over. Just look in our own backyard. All those poor hires killed us for a long time.

I was never impressed with Joseph, but McDermott really hasn't done much better.  But I think McDermott should be here next season, but he needs to produce.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Nobody is saying they should be, at least that's how I'm interpreting the video. It's his wish, his desire. Who knows, maybe a change like that will make the league better.  In any instance, it we limit the pool that we choose from, we probably miss out on some real talent.

i dont see the pool being limited. thats the point. i think the guy makes no sense.

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Did Burleson ever hear of coincidence?  It's like the Oscars a few years back where none of the best actor/actress nominees were black.

I'm sure he did hear of coincidence.  As a former NFL player, he feels he would like to see greater representation of blacks in different levels of NFL coaching ranks.

If you listened to the video, he was very well-spoken about it. 

Isn't he entitled to his opinion?

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Elway should be gone as well but he is surviving on a Superbowl Championship which is currency Joseph doesnt have.  Wilks was clearly in over his head.

Tell me more about Wilks being in over his head. 

I don't know too much about him or the Cards situation, other than that they have a putrid Oline and they over-performed the previous two years with Palmer at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He needs to STFU.  It has nothing to do with race.

bull####! Quitter Marrone still has a job. They fired Wilks after just one season? 

The fact that they skirt the Rooney Rule alone is a reason to be upset... it's an absolute JOKE the Raiders got Gruden and interviewed in token fashion, much like many other teams.

If we (as human beings) truly want racism to end, we need to stop looking at others - whether positively OR negatively - as nothing more than a skin color.

Is that all Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph are to the general public?

African Americans?  Minorities?  Diversity?  Political Correctness?

These guys worked for years to EARN their way into a head coaching position, by being good at their jobs as coordinators and assistants.  Keeping that job should mean they are doing a good job at the head coaching level.  By suggesting they were prematurely fired because of their race, belittles everything they have accomplished in the NFL.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

the two of you see it differently. That's ok.

7 black head coaches out of 32 teams. wanna do some math?

billionaires own nfl franchises. wanna do a comparison of billionaires by race?

you have to think and argue logically.

I wouldnt mind one damn bit if every nfl coach were black and half the owners were black. But you have to live in reality.

I think the guy is playing the race card.because its not just some dream of his.He actually goes and argues about black vs white coaches and their worthiness without doing

any fundamental,logical thinking.