Nate Burleson Speaks On The Firing Of African American Coaches

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The rooney rule is the most racist thing about the NFL because it says that minorities can’t win the job on their own merit and need to be gift wrapped interviews. 

It is the most racist thing about the NFL because only black minority coaches are aided.  There is a Hispanic head coach and he never got a leg up. There was at one point a Chinese coach in NFL, did he ever get help?  The argument is based on percentage of players who are black but it is not a true factor since many NFL coaches never played the game.

37 minutes ago, blzrul said:

The NFL is about 70% black. If playing football makes one a good coach, then one could reasonably expect over time that the majority of NFL coaches would rise from those ranks.  Thus there would be a great many more black coaches than there are today.

Now - should an incompetent coach be retained to maintain racial parity? Hell no. But the definition of incompetence should apply EQUALLY to white and black.  This doesn't mean to set a standard within the NFL. Every team owner/GM is in a unique situation.  And some guys, black or white, shouldn't be HC. But I'm pretty sure the bar is much higher for people of color - because that's the way it is elsewhere, not just the NFL. 

I don't have the answer.  But dismissing this out of hand smacks of white privilege.  Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you presume to tell people how they should feel.  

There are many, many coaches who have no NFL playing experience, or even any playing experience at all. A lot of coaches are "coaches sons" who have coaching in their families and who never play.

So no, it doesn't make sense that there should be more African American coaches based on the racial demographics of the NFL. Coaching and playing are very different skills. Some have both of those skills, but most don't.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Here's the thing for me. With the exception of Josh Rosen I've paid no attention to the Cardinals in the past year. Had no idea who Wilks was when he was hired. Didn't see the Cardinals play all year. When he got fired my assumption was "effed up organization". Had no idea the color of his skin until reading through parts of this thread. Is there any reason to think that race was a factor in his firing apart from his skin color? Why not go to Keim is clueless first?

I think the issue isn't necessarily that you are fired because of skin color, but is the leash shorter? are the opportunities fewer?  Listening to Burleson, I think that's his viewpoint.

Just now, klos63 said:

Just wondering if anyone going off on Burleson even watched his video. I hear nothing controversial at all.

I didn't get a chance to watch it till later, and was commenting mostly on the idea being touted by the OP. 

After watching the video, I still disagree because he's not using examples of minority coaches let go for anything but merit. Even if you want to argue that 1 and done coaches is a bad way to do things, Wilkes still had a horrific team. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, there are coaches who are African American who have long tenures too, just like there are white coaches with short tenures.

I think Hue Jackson had more than enough time and they waited too long to fire him. Lewis in Cincy was one of the longest tenured coaches in the league before getting fired. We fired Rex Ryan after two years.

So I don't really see a problem personally. I think the larger problem is that some teams fire prematurely period, regardless of race. I just don't think that 1 or 2 years given to a coach is fair or realistic in most cases. The Browns fired a coach after 1 year a few years ago. The 49ers did it. Now Arizona did it. How on Earth can you give a coach only 1 year?

Ryan obviously shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Why did he get such a lucrative contract?  Isn't he still getting $5M from Pegula next season as well?

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Others spoke about this issue as well.  It’s something to think about,  but please think before you respond.

I'm not sure this master fella knows what he's talking about. I didn't  know 70% of Americas workforce was black. Trump is doing better than I thought. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

It ain’t like Koetter got that long in Tampa. And he had to deal with an apathetic, terrible fanbase and an absolute manchild, criminal franchise QB who alienated his teammates and got himself suspended. Where’s the pity for good ol’ Dirk?

Good luck to the Bucs in finding a good HC who wants to be tied to Crab Legs Winston.

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He needs to STFU.  It has nothing to do with race.

I'm sorry, but Wilks and Joseph teams were offensively devoid of talent. In Joseph case a lot of their problems should sit squarely on Elway's shoulders. Signed a backup to a big contract. Trade #1 WR away. Wilks in game decisions were questionable, but had a rookie QB with an aging Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson. On the other hand, Marrone went from AFC Championship game to having a team as dysfunctional as the Bengals and still employed

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm not sure this master fella knows what he's talking about. I didn't  know 70% of Americas workforce was black. Trump is doing better than I thought. 

I didn't know that either, but I can tell you that over 99% of the fans at an NBA game are white, at least in OKC anyways. Fun fact.

Just now, klos63 said:

If you read that tweet and came up with the stat of 70% of the workforce is black, then it makes sense that you think trump is doing well. Neither one of you can make sense of a few simple statements.

I knew I could count on your response. 

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I didn't get a chance to watch it till later, and was commenting mostly on the idea being touted by the OP. 

After watching the video, I still disagree because he's not using examples of minority coaches let go for anything but merit. Even if you want to argue that 1 and done coaches is a bad way to do things, Wilkes still had a horrific team. 

maybe I should watch it again, but I think his point is overall representation should be larger, ownership, GM and onto head coaches. He's not talking racism, just opportunity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Isnt it weird, BB...Milarky has been a head coach twice and technically was never fired from either job.

And then he was fired this past offseason after getting the Titans to the playoffs for the first time in 9 years, beating the Chiefs & losing to the eventual AFC champ Pats.  I guess it finally caught up with him.

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

playing the race card, that's always nice.

say hello to anthony lynn

how about they were fired for incompetence, not color of their skin.

I think that's the point being raised - it was considered eyebrow-raising to fire Rex after only 2 years, that being considered "not enough time"

Firing a new coach after an interval not generally considered enough time to put his stamp on a program (competent or not)  begs the question "why were they fired then?"

It's possible it was incompetence.  Maybe Wilks was a total tire fire as a HC. 

Don't know.  It just raises eyebrows especially when the GM who brought the guys in is still seated.

17 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

A trend? No I see no trend in the handful of names you cherry picked. A list of names that refutes your “point” as much as it supports it, by the way, since there are a mix of former player and non-player coaches on there. What I see is BS anecdotal evidence that proves nothing. Here, I can do it too: Doug Pederson (funny you left him out), Matt Nagy, Tony Dungy, Mike Ditka. 

Before you insult someone else’s comprehension of English, you should brush up on your basic logic and standards of evidence. People were in here discussing this fairly civilly and you bulldoze in and make it an insuffrable pi**ing match. It’s pathetic.

Nagy didn't play in the NFL.

I listed the top active coaches in W-L.  And most of them didn't play in the NFL.  Sorry dude.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

And then he was fired this past offseason after getting the Titans to the playoffs for the first time in 9 years, beating the Chiefs & losing to the eventual AFC champ Pats.  I guess it finally caught up with him.

Buff, I thought he was going to remain as coach, but when he wouldn’t make some changes it was mutually agreed that he would leave.

my bad if I am wrong.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts