Shelton Trade Parameters - 2nd Round Pick

Mark VI

I can't think of another kicker drafted that high besides Janikowski, at least in the last decade.  Plus, isn't there spposed to be enough guard depth to snatch one in the third rond?

288395[/snapback]

Todd Sauerbrun went high (2nd round) when Chicago picked him... They really questioned Wanny. Yet, in 1995, Chicago had two 2nd round picks... Why not go with it?

Then again he is a Punter. Still qualifies in the kicking category?

Ray Guy 1973 Raidah's #1 pick.

Drafted as a PK and a Punter.

He lasted 13 years... what a leg - the kind that comes along once in a decade or two

(which happens to be longer than many people have been watching the game).

But who can tell with kids these days?

I thought Gary Anderson was a lock when The Bills drafted him.

Maybe he never wanted to play in the Buff and he tanked it in pre-season so he could go elsewhere.

Maybe Nuge wants to be a Cowboy when he grows up.

It's all just crazy talk.

Repeat after me (and Paul Tags)... "With their first pick in the 2005 Draft, The Buffalo Bills pick JP Losman, Quarterback from Tulane University."

Kicker Mike Nugent !   <_<

Yep, it's not so they secure a shot at a top Guard like Elton Brown or David Baas, or a DT like Anttaj Hawthorne. 

It's Nugent. Could you imagine ?    :doh:

288341[/snapback]

That would be just plain crazy. I'm not sure if you were joking but a No 2 on a kicker? Too many other needs and I don't want another OSU player.

The parameters for the LJ Shelton for Travis Henry are pretty much done. Its a swap which also includes a swap of 2nd round picks.

Ther Cardinals are fighting the draft pick swap, but this is what TD wants and other considerations from the Bills may be included and this may mean compensation in 2006 with a 3rd or 4th round pick, but this deal will be pretty much done.

The question being is what the Bills want to do with the 44th pick in the draft.

My guess is any of the following three players

Elton Brown G - Virginia

David Baas G - Michigan

Chris Spencer C - Mississippi

In my opinion, any of the three would be fine as the Bills would address the offensive line position well with the addition of Shelton and the 2nd round pick.

In the 3rd round the Bills could make a move on a a back-up running back, in the 4th a defensive tackle, 5th a corner, 6th and 7th best player on the board types.

Kicker Mike Nugent !  <_<

Yep, it's not so they secure a shot at a top Guard like Elton Brown or David Baas, or a DT like Anttaj Hawthorne. 

It's Nugent. Could you imagine ?    :doh:

288341[/snapback]

Really? They're interested in Nugent? Awesome! That's the one thing missing from last year that would've taken us to the NFL title: a good kicker.

C'mon Donahoe, hurry up and get this deal done! Any news on the deal? Oh please, let this deal happen.

Anything yet?

Fans are correctly pissed at Lindell for missing a chip shot FG against Pitts, but there seem to be a lot of good football reasons to believe TD when he says Lindell is the Bills PK in o5 like:

1. Nugent clearly is a great placekicker and it actually is not diffcult at all to imagine the Bills doing better at PK with someone who inspires the HCs trust to go for it beyond 40 in crunch time, but a big part of the kickers game (and far more frequently used by the Bills in '05 than nailing the key FG is doing kickoffs exactly when and where April says )particularly in the winds of the Ralph).

Lindell was perfect in terms of kicking em left or right as order, high or low as ordered and the proof of this is there in that our KR game was among the best (if not simply the best) in the league last year with no TDs given up and few significant returns. Great tackling was obviously a key here, but predictable kicking was also certainly a key and Lindell did this game in and game out.

The notion that the rookie Nugent would do just as well in the KO game is possible but unlikely.  The thought he will merely boom the ball for touchbacks time after time is actually quite unlikely as unless there was a change in college rules I didn't notice, the pro kicker uses a shorter tee which reduces the length of kicks and taking some getting used to. In addition, pro kicks are further back than college.  Were all of Nugent's college kickoffs touchbacks? If they weren't this will not be true in the pros either and anybody taking him will need to expect some time to past before he learns the pro game and becomes effective at KOs (assuming this does happen because there is no guarantee.

2. A post last week actually put up the Bills opponents drive starts and returns and we were among the best in the league with Lindell kicking.  In addition, if you look at the rest of the league, opposing kickers (with I think 1 case of exception) also proved unable to convert FGs over 40 yards in the Ralph.

3. We tried 3 onside kicks, 1 of which failed for a reason I do not remember, another of which was well kicked by Lindell, but Rashad Baker did not make the recovery when a good kick at this longshot was not accomplished and the third kick resulted in a great recovery by the Bills by Lindell of his own kick which he dummined perfectly (along with the KR squad) top fool the opposition, he kicked it perfectly with speed and pace since no Bills guy could even touch an opponent until the ball traveled ten yards and he made he recovery himself.

4. The Bills will take a cap hit of slightly over 600K to cut Lindell and given that we are having to arrange things to make the cap work. it is unclear whether we would want to do this and still be able to build the team we want.

I for one definitely think the Bills need to upgrade kicker performance. However, as much as I would love us to have Nugent and potentially solve the problem for years. I think it looks far more likely we will attempt to improve the kicking by having April work with Lindell. Lindell simply sucked in 2003 and merelu improved to inadequate with his mix of good and bas results in 2004. However, I hope he can maintain this rate of improvement and actually be totally adequate as a kicker in 2005. It will be a tough job to pull off but seems far more likely a possibility than us spending a 2nd on  a kicker.

288498[/snapback]

I like Nugent alot & I'd be okay with the Bills drafting him, but since there are alot of holes at other positions that could use depth or upgrades it may be better to get a positional playerto help the team.

Maybe the Bills can get a kicker in the 7th round