How much coffee is too much coffee?

I used to drink three large mugs (approximately 12 oz. each) a day, two in the morning and one in the afternoon.  Over time, I realized that the afternoon coffee was hurting my sleep, so I gave it up. Then I realized that two mugs in the morning was making me jittery. Now I’m down to a cup of tea with breakfast and a mug of coffee mid morning. I wonder if it an age thing, or is it tied to not getting enough exercise, or something else. 

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Would you consider three 12 oz cups, all before noon, a lot of coffee consumption?

Asking for a friend...

Depends on how you errrrrrr your friend handles it.

Is the friend jittery?

Irritable?

Unable to sleep at night?

Might want to cut back.

5 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I used to drink three large mugs (approximately 12 oz. each) a day, two in the morning and one in the afternoon.  Over time, I realized that the afternoon coffee was hurting my sleep, so I gave it up. Then I realized that two mugs in the morning was making me jittery. Now I’m down to a cup of tea with breakfast and a mug of coffee mid morning. I wonder if it an age thing, or is it tied to not getting enough exercise, or something else. 

My capacity dropped w age

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Would you consider three 12 oz cups, all before noon, a lot of coffee consumption?

Asking for a friend...

I have two cups every morning before I leave the house, then another cup on the way to work (hour commute).  I stop after that.  For many years, I drank coffee throughout the workday.  Stopped a few years ago, but it wasn't a conscious effort.  Kind of just happened.

Weekends, I'll average 4 cups/day.

I drink my coffee black, no sugar, so I'm not concerned about my average daily intake.

There is no such thing as too much coffee. I have a pot at home before 10am, several cups of Tim Horton's during the day, and then a cup of decaf (you know, so I am not wired) after 7pm.  Mmmm coffee!   

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

My best friend married into a family that was more coffee-cultured. When at the in-laws for lunch they asked if I wanted a cup of coffee, serving me a large mug (as well they gave the same portion to their five year old son)

i took a few sips and almost went into toxic shock as it was espresso. The son downed his in a few minutes with ease.

so I guess your mileage may vary.... 

——————

my first time in the big city for work I visited a real coffee store and spent about a week in pain acclimatizing my stomach to strong coffee.

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

My best friend married into a family that was more coffee-cultured. When at the in-laws for lunch they asked if I wanted a cup of coffee, serving me a large mug (as well as their five year old son)

i took a few sips and almost went into toxic shock as it was espresso. The son downed his in a few minutes with ease.

so I guess your mileage may vary.... 

——————

my first time in the big city for work I visited a real coffee store and spent about a week in pain acclimatizing my stomach to strong coffee.

My mom drinks coffee with every meal.  Breakfast is the only meal with which I can enjoy a cup of coffee.

—————

with migraines it it may help or make worse, I tend not to roll the dice if I can help it.

In addition most migraine meds are caffeine laced.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

My mom drinks coffee with every meal.  Breakfast is the only meal with which I can enjoy a cup of coffee.

I’m up to three or four “talls” of strong black coffee a day, from SB or brewed at home

it didn’t react well with pneumonia, a few times, and one friend gave up coffee after his bad time with that illness.