Anyone climb?

boyst

19 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yes, I've done some climbing, both indoors and outdoors; mostly top roping, though some multi pitch in the Tetons lead by a guide.  If you are new to the sport, and have not climbed outdoors yet, you will want to start top roping.  Outdoors climbing is a lot less forgiving than indoors climbing; since you have climbed indoors, you should have an idea as to why that is.

Multi pitch and trad is a lot more advanced.  You need to be very comfortable with the rock face, foot and hand placements, equipment, etc, which you will get with top roping before you even consider multi pitch with gear placements.  If you mess up gear placements and don't understand rope management, you're seriously F&*$#d, and I'm not exaggerating.  Experienced climbers have died from mistakes.  Start off slow and make sure you have the basics down before moving on to more advanced stuff.  Equipment and technique is essential to get squared away.

My girlfriend is very experienced and spent 6 months off a professional job a while back just climbing all over the southeast. She won't let me be stupid and I know my limits. Her Dyno is Soooo much more powerful than mine, for example, and that let's me know I have a ways to go.

We will do some top roping at a local mountain.  It's pilot mountain if you're familiar with the Andy Griffith show.  She's had a dozen friends/acquaintes die from climbing.  One man actually had his gear fail and ended up hanging him by the neck. For whatever reason no one climbed the 30' to help him and one woman went to but the girlfriend stopped him - the 7 folks there that day were known and now essentially get blackballed everywhere they go because the community is that tight know. So, I'm glad I have her and a few of her friends that I am beginning with. She had several thousand dollars worth of gear she left with her ex, including about 200 anchors and a dozen ropes with a portaledge. 

I hate the auto belays, fwiw. They take that half second to kick in and I'd rather trust my 120 lbs girlfriend with an old ATC than those damn things...but, I've launched her 12' in the air when I fell a few weeks ago. 

Oh, and I'm going to just be doing sport climbs for starters with fixed anchors. Carolina climbing coalition is very strict and adheres fully to making sure routes are well maintained and chop bad anchors/bolts regularly.

34 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Geez, what, does she run around the house naked? (Asking for a friend...)

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️. I just close my eyes and do as she says. She would kick my ass for disobedience.

6 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I assume/hope the gym workouts are practice for someday going out to a real hill/mountain and climbing to an impressive peak/summit. 

I missed this; but, yes we are going to climb some outdoor walls this spring/summer. I can't wait to deep water solo.  You find a deep water area above a rock wall and climb it. When you fall in you get to swim!  Her friend, now my friend, Wilson is an expert whitewater kayaker, too so I will be doing more whitewater over the stillwater and river.

Edited by Boyst62
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

My girlfriend is very experienced and spent 6 months off a professional job a while back just climbing all over the southeast. She won't let me be stupid and I know my limits. Her Dyno is Soooo much more powerful than mine, for example, and that let's me know I have a ways to go.

We will do some top roping at a local mountain.  It's pilot mountain if you're familiar with the Andy Griffith show.  She's had a dozen friends/acquaintes die from climbing.  One man actually had his gear fail and ended up hanging him by the neck. For whatever reason no one climbed the 30' to help him and one woman went to but the girlfriend stopped him - the 7 folks there that day were known and now essentially get blackballed everywhere they go because the community is that tight know. So, I'm glad I have her and a few of her friends that I am beginning with. She had several thousand dollars worth of gear she left with her ex, including about 200 anchors and a dozen ropes with a portaledge. 

I hate the auto belays, fwiw. They take that half second to kick in and I'd rather trust my 120 lbs girlfriend with an old ATC than those damn things...but, I've launched her 12' in the air when I fell a few weeks ago. 

Given the mortality rate of those with whom your girlfriend climbs, do you want to reconsider??

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Given the mortality rate of those with whom your girlfriend climbs, do you want to reconsider??

Don’t mess with her recruiting! She needs fresh meat. 

Has she asked about your life insurance? Maybe you have a new beneficiary? 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Not a chance, it is a lot of fun and the challenge like I've never faced. And being new to it I can feel myself get better every single time

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Not a chance, it is a lot of fun and the challenge like I've never faced. And being new to it I can feel myself get better every single time

That’s what the first dozen thought....

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I missed this; but, yes we are going to climb some outdoor walls this spring/summer. I can't wait to deep water solo.  You find a deep water area above a rock wall and climb it. When you fall in you get to swim!  Her friend, now my friend, Wilson is an expert whitewater kayaker, too so I will be doing more whitewater over the stillwater and river.

That sounds like a blast.  I probably would have been chicken even when I was young and a little bit adventurous, but I would have cheered from the sidelines.

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

That sounds like a blast.  I probably would have been chicken even when I was young and a little bit adventurous, but I would have cheered from the sidelines.

You could wait at the bottom and catch them! 

I was cool with skydiving, but this climbing just sounds too risky. Ask the surviving family members of the dozen the GF knew who died. I bet theyre on my side in this one. 

19 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Oh, and I'm going to just be doing sport climbs for starters with fixed anchors. Carolina climbing coalition is very strict and adheres fully to making sure routes are well maintained and chop bad anchors/bolts regularly.

Good luck and just be careful.  If something doesn't seem right...it probably isn't.

Don't use auto belays outdoors; stick with an ATC or a Petzl GriGri (though some even frown on those for top roping, and should never be used in trad).  Also, make sure you have a good and new climbing harness; any signs of wear and/or damage, toss it and get a new one.

Your girlfriend will need to be anchored to a large rock or tree when belaying for you, which I think you see why.

I personally would never trust an outdoor sport anchor.  Yeah, I know. Carolina climbing coalition maintains them etc...but all it takes is a rusted and weak bolt and you'll get the 50 cent surprise and you better hope the neighboring ones are in good shape.  You're trusting that group to do their due diligence in maintenance.  I'm not familiar with that group, but I would guess they are volunteers who have maintenance weekends every to often to check the placements and replace when necessary.  A lot can go wrong with that.

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Some of the best climbers are over 50. It's what I am learning that they already have: patience, control, temperament. It's not an aggressive sport.

And it's more a sport than golf. Ayy Tasker, you suck

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good luck and just be careful.  If something doesn't seem right...it probably isn't.

Don't use auto belays outdoors; stick with an ATC or a Petzl GriGri (though some even frown on those for top roping, and should never be used in trad).  Also, make sure you have a good and new climbing harness; any signs of wear and/or damage, toss it and get a new one.

Your girlfriend will need to be anchored to a large rock or tree when belaying for you, which I think you see why.

I personally would never trust an outdoor sport anchor.  Yeah, I know. Carolina climbing coalition maintains them etc...but all it takes is a rusted and weak bolt and you'll get the 50 cent surprise and you better hope the neighboring ones are in good shape.  You're trusting that group to do their due diligence in maintenance.  I'm not familiar with that group, but I would guess they are volunteers who have maintenance weekends every to often to check the placements and replace when necessary.  A lot can go wrong with that.

It's amazing how narrow the edge between safe and fun climbing is to dangerous and difficult. She and her climbing partners are solid,  and being at the gym where there are dozens of people and the culture, as I am sure you know, is so friendly and helpful.

I prefer the pretzel grigri. Easy af to use, she doesn't get lifted off the ground but for the one time. If she knows or anticipates she will jump and pull. Her best climbing partner was 275 lbs compared to her 120 lbs frame

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Do you really think she can control this?

Fair enough but I'm not that stupid. I'm kinda samrt

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

I believe I met this one.....she’s a mere mortal, from all appearances.  ?

Pff. She runs ultra marathons, rock climbs, triple major (bio chem, and 2 other side forgot) first in her class for vet school at Mississippi State, blonde.

Get your son and you two go try it, seriously. It'd be fun,he'd like it.

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Some of the best climbers are over 50. It's what I am learning that they already have: patience, control, temperament. It's not an aggressive sport.

And it's more a sport than golf. Ayy Tasker, you suck

It's amazing how narrow the edge between safe and fun climbing is to dangerous and difficult. She and her climbing partners are solid,  and being at the gym where there are dozens of people and the culture, as I am sure you know, is so friendly and helpful.

I prefer the pretzel grigri. Easy af to use, she doesn't get lifted off the ground but for the one time. If she knows or anticipates she will jump and pull. Her best climbing partner was 275 lbs compared to her 120 lbs frame

Fair enough but I'm not that stupid. I'm kinda samrt

Pff. She runs ultra marathons, rock climbs, triple major (bio chem, and 2 other side forgot) first in her class for vet school at Mississippi State, blonde.

Get your son and you two go try it, seriously. It'd be fun,he'd like it.

Oh, HE would probably love it. He was a little rock wall climbing ninja savant a few years ago. Walls others had trouble with he’d scoot to the top like a little monkey! He probably got that from his mom, because I just don’t see the point of playing a game where losing can = death. 

Joe Rogan has done 2 podcasts now with one of the best free climbers in the world--Alex Honnold.

It is absolutely fascinating to listen to this guy.

Here's the more recent podcast.

Edited by Nextmanup

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Joe Rogan has done 2 podcasts now with one of the best free climbers in the world--Alex Honnold.

Thay dude has balls that clank together when he walks.  Insane...

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Not to take away from him but he has climbed those free solo climbs hundreds of times in some cases before attempting the free solo.

The thing about him is that he is absolutely mentally ill. He will die do this.

He is fascinating 

Her friends are the ones who got caught by terrorists in the middle East a while back and escaped. They we're on NPR a while back.

22 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Not to take away from him but he has climbed those free solo climbs hundreds of times in some cases before attempting the free solo.

The thing about him is that he is absolutely mentally ill. He will die do this.

He is fascinating 

Her friends are the ones who got caught by terrorists in the middle East a while back and escaped. They we're on NPR a while back.

That was also my takeaway after watching the film and the 60 minutes special.  It doesn’t seem as though he is afraid of dying at all.  

11 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That was also my takeaway after watching the film and the 60 minutes special.  It doesn’t seem as though he is afraid of dying at all.  

I don't know if he's afraid to die or not.  Part of why he goes to such lengths to rehearse the free solos is because he does not want to die.  Or at least so it seems.  

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't know if he's afraid to die or not.  Part of why he goes to such lengths to rehearse the free solos is because he does not want to die.  Or at least so it seems.  

He does do his best to prepare, no doubt, but he has to know that every climb could be his last.