Anyone climb?

boyst

My girlfriend got me in to it a few months ago, have yet to get outside due to scheduling and weather but have been indoors at a decent climbing gym here in the area.  The routes are not practical nor great and the 5.10 I did today was more or less a 5.8 with 1 tricky move that I was able to get. For a beginner I've caught on quickly and just need to work on my leverage and balance because I'm so massive

She's climbed all across the country, I think a few times overseas and regularly does 5.12's and multipitch.

Anyone here climb?  It's one hell of a workout

41 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

My girlfriend got me in to it a few months ago, have yet to get outside due to scheduling and weather but have been indoors at a decent climbing gym here in the area.  The routes are not practical nor great and the 5.10 I did today was more or less a 5.8 with 1 tricky move that I was able to get. For a beginner I've caught on quickly and just need to work on my leverage and balance because I'm so massive

She's climbed all across the country, I think a few times overseas and regularly does 5.12's and multipitch.

Does she hold your rope?

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Pic?

Come to tbdhot 19

Or text me

Or ask Levi. She licked his nipple and there is a pic. ??‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Does she hold your rope?

She belays me usually. Or Wilson or someone else. 

Edited by Boyst62

So let me get this straight - you drive to a gym, put on sleek climbing shoes, put on a safety lanyard, sign a waiver and hold harmless agreement, and then pay the gym money in order to climb a tall, plastic, adult-sized McDonald's Playground with nifty composite footholds, all in the name of fitness? Try throwing hay for a few hours. Try hunting up the side of a mountain. 

(Where the heck is the thumbs down button on this thing?)

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

So let me get this straight - you drive to a gym, put on sleek climbing shoes, put on a safety lanyard, sign a waiver and hold harmless agreement, and then pay the gym money in order to climb a tall, plastic, adult-sized McDonald's Playground with nifty composite footholds, all in the name of fitness? Try throwing hay for a few hours. Try hunting up the side of a mountain. 

I assume/hope the gym workouts are practice for someday going out to a real hill/mountain and climbing to an impressive peak/summit. 

27 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

It's the terminology that gets me.

Someone takes a walk in the woods, and all of the sudden, they're "a hiker."  No .... you took a walk in the ***** woods.

Someone climbs a plastic wall with bumps on it and they're "a climber."  LOL

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Someone takes a walk in the woods, and all of the sudden, they're "a hiker."  No .... you took a walk in the ***** woods.

THIS ^^^^

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm not what I consider a climber yet but that I can navigate an indoor 5.11 is something that means I'll do ok climbing outdoors when the weather or opportunity allows.  

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I'm not what I consider a climber yet but that I can navigate an indoor 5.11 is something that means I'll do ok climbing outdoors when the weather or opportunity allows.  

So what you're saying is, when weather permits, if it's not too sunny or cold, or if you want to try climbing the monkey bars at the local playground, you might actually leave the safe confines of the "indoor climbing course"?  Just admit it. You have no interest in "climbing" and you're doing this solely for the woman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

So what you're saying is, when weather permits, if it's not too sunny or cold, or if you want to try climbing the monkey bars at the local playground, you might actually leave the safe confines of the "indoor climbing course"?  Just admit it. You have no interest in "climbing" and you're doing this solely for the woman.

? Richard.

It's more about her than I.  She keeps her house at 76°. I keep mine at 62°. She wears a cost beneath 65°. I wear a tee shirt above 50°. I'm hot. She's cold.

But, it's also about the rocks being slick/wet.  A special mountain is open in the winter so long as certain birds aren't roosting. Between her work schedule and mine, with custody a factor, it's hard to get us the time to do it with only 5 minutes of sunlight a day. I'm not Alex Honnold, yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I assume/hope the gym workouts are practice for someday going out to a real hill/mountain and climbing to an impressive peak/summit. 

Nope, McDonalds! he gets a Happy Meal if he makes it to the top! 

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Yes, I've done some climbing, both indoors and outdoors; mostly top roping, though some multi pitch in the Tetons lead by a guide.  If you are new to the sport, and have not climbed outdoors yet, you will want to start top roping.  Outdoors climbing is a lot less forgiving than indoors climbing; since you have climbed indoors, you should have an idea as to why that is.

Multi pitch and trad is a lot more advanced.  You need to be very comfortable with the rock face, foot and hand placements, equipment, etc, which you will get with top roping before you even consider multi pitch with gear placements.  If you mess up gear placements and don't understand rope management, you're seriously F&*$#d, and I'm not exaggerating.  Experienced climbers have died from mistakes.  Start off slow and make sure you have the basics down before moving on to more advanced stuff.  Equipment and technique is essential to get squared away.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yes, I've done some climbing, both indoors and outdoors; mostly top roping, though some multi pitch in the Tetons lead by a guide.  If you are new to the sport, and have not climbed outdoors yet, you will want to start top roping.  Outdoors climbing is a lot less forgiving than indoors climbing; since you have climbed indoors, you should have an idea as to why that is.

Multi pitch and trad is a lot more advanced.  You need to be very comfortable with the rock face, foot and hand placements, equipment, etc, which you will get with top roping before you even consider multi pitch with gear placements.  If you mess up gear placements and don't understand rope management, you're seriously F&*$#d, and I'm not exaggerating.  Experienced climbers have died from mistakes.  Start off slow and make sure you have the basics down before moving on to more advanced stuff.  Equipment and technique is essential to get squared away.

This is NOT a hobby I will be taking up. Shuffleboard is sounding better and better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1