NFL Playoffs on TV in Germany

Nextmanup

I'm in Germany for the holidays and just saw a TV commercial promoting NFL football.

They are going to show all playoff games and the Superbowl on regular free TV, which I'm not sure has been done before.

Superbowl, yes, but not all the playoffs.

I thought it was interesting.  Global promotion of all big time sports is going to be the next big thing.

Euro soccer in N. America and NFL in Europe.

We're already heading down that road.

I doubt European soccer ever really takes off in the US.  It may develop a loyal following but I don't see it becoming a big thing

The NFL on the other hand I can see taking off in Germany. 

With the Raiders 2019 home still undetermined, the NFL might be wise to consider the concept of a nomad franchise.  A "home" game in London, another in Mexico City, one on Berlin, Tokyo, Toronto, Montreal, etc

21 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm in Germany for the holidays and just saw a TV commercial promoting NFL football.

They are going to show all playoff games and the Superbowl on regular free TV, which I'm not sure has been done before.

Superbowl, yes, but not all the playoffs.

I thought it was interesting.  Global promotion of all big time sports is going to be the next big thing.

Euro soccer in N. America and NFL in Europe.

We're already heading down that road.

NFL Europe has already headed down that road, and it was a dead end.

I was in France a few weeks back and had to get up @ 4:00 AM for my travel back - it was Friday morning.  Thursday night football (titans - Chargers) was on one of the sports channels.  

Oddly, they did not take advantage of the commercial breaks.  The screen simply showed a full stadium shot with the announcers continuing to speak during the obvious commercials.  

Edited by Philly McButterpants

13 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

NFL Europe has already headed down that road, and it was a dead end.

That was a dead end; but that isn't the real NFL in Europe; that was a European copy of the NFL.

And as to /DEV NUL/'s comment, European soccer is already way bigger in the USA than it was even 10 years ago. 

My 15 and 18 year old nephews are so-so Bills fans (grew up and live in Buffalo) but gigantic English Premier League psycho fans; they follow that league like I followed the AFC East at their age.

Even if soccer remain a "niche" type thing in America, you have to realize America is so big, that "niche" following can't still be the size of a European country.

As far as I know, the USA World Cup remains the best attended World Cup on record.

That lousy streaming site has snaked up Champions League and the new Nations League so at least in Canada this has been totally ruined for the niche audience that would watch on TV

Edited by row_33