So West Seneca is east of Albany

Saxum

I found it an interesting article but it shows the low standards of editing these days for newspapers. Yes I sent a note to author.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/25/end-of-an-era-last-milkman-in-erie-county-makes-final-deliveries/?utm_medium=more_stories

I remember getting eggs, butter and milk from Upstate Niagara Cooperative in coop I worked in when at UB.

Today, Heller said, there are only two major milk bottlers in New York state east of Albany — Upstate Niagara Cooperative in West Seneca and Byrne Dairy in Syracuse — and two niche glass bottlers, Hoover's Dairy in Sanborn and Pittsford Farms outside of Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

I found it an interesting article but it shows the low standards of editing these days for newspapers. Yes I sent a note to author.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/25/end-of-an-era-last-milkman-in-erie-county-makes-final-deliveries/?utm_medium=more_stories

I remember getting eggs, butter and milk from Upstate Niagara Cooperative in coop I worked in when at UB.

Today, Heller said, there are only two major milk bottlers in New York state east of Albany — Upstate Niagara Cooperative in West Seneca and Byrne Dairy in Syracuse — and two niche glass bottlers, Hoover's Dairy in Sanborn and Pittsford Farms outside of Rochester.

Think he meant to say west of Albany 

• Like (+1) 1

Yes I realize that.  I worked for Courier Express part time during college. I started by doing typesetting and got well known for not making mistakes (pay was deducted for mistakes, speed and accuracy were important) and my boss referred me to one of editors stating I was very good at finding mistakes and editor gave me part time work doing editing (he was final signator but I checked for him before he looked at it) emphasizing that in newspaper business factual mistakes were damaging to newspaper's reputation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Go! Go! Go! To Hoover's dairy, if you live in Erie or Niagara County.  We try and buy milk and eggnog there (their chocolate milk is ?  - especially if you have kids), and when Hubby is off Keto, he makes it a priority to stop there for ice cream. They also serve "comfort food" in a fast-food style in their front building.  There is a store in the back by the dairy where you can purchase more flavors of milk and cheese than the restaurant sells (for the most part, I only buy up front but Hubby does find things of interest in the back building store). 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

If you want to blow somebody's mind who does not know the area well tell them West Seneca is north of Boston but leave out the part about Boston being a tiny community south of Buffalo.  I knew a guy at college back in the 1980's that was enthralled with the idea of there being a Romulus in New York.  Another college incident involved an air headed woman that was reading a partially folded map of New York and thinking that Long Island was a short drive from Rochester.  Myself, I got tired of being late for things due to having poor understanding of where things were as a teen and studied a road map of the entire region around Buffalo and Rochester during Christmas break while in college freshman year. 

Having a map is a must anyways but after the third time of poor directions (the turnoff being the fifth left out of town versus the third for example) I made it a point to analyze ANY directions as how to get any place.  Being a college student without an abundance of gas money I always found short cuts once I consulted the map.

Edited by RochesterRob

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

And they are not in West Seneca....Cheektowaga (walden/broadway).. a back road by that train car hobby shop.

Niagara Hobby and Craft Mart.

I've given them a lot of my money in years past.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

And they are not in West Seneca....Cheektowaga (walden/broadway).. a back road by that train car hobby shop.

Nope/ On the other side of the Thruway and Dale Road. Almost across from Chick-fil-A

Article is the epitome of lazy. How easy is it to fact check this and it’s a indicator of the sad state of knowledge today. I recently had to explain to someone that Atlanta is in Georgia. And this person has a college degree. 

Also, tell someone not from WNY that Buffalo is East of Canada and watch the gears intheir head turn.

Edited by Kevbeau
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

If you want to blow somebody's mind who does not know the area well tell them West Seneca is north of Boston but leave out the part about Boston being a tiny community south of Buffalo.  I knew a guy at college back in the 1980's that was enthralled with the idea of there being a Romulus in New York.  

There's also Texas and Mexico next to each other in NY, but Texas is so small it barely makes it on the map, there is not even a single stop light when you drive the main road through it. 

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It was a directional typo.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

My home in Canada is south of the home I grew up in in Buffalo.

Do you mean latitude-wise? A good portion of S.Ontario from around Port Dover & across has a lower latitude than Buffalo.

???

Or are you using upside down maps:

http://upside-down-maps.com

"Upside Down Maps reverse standard world orientation by placing South up and North down. Orientation of a map, geographically speaking, is completely arbitrary. See how seeing the world “upside-down” procides a different perspective of our world.

Upside Down Maps inspire the most fundamental key to unlocking human potential…curiosity about our world!..."

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Here in Illinois... I think Oberweis Dairy still delivers... Glass bottles.  They give you a cooler for the porch:

https://www.oberweis.com/about-home-delivery

We had it for a while when Children were young...