If TD wants to Swap 2nd's

BillsNYC

Maybe

Anttaj Hawthorne

Official Bio College: Wisconsin Height: 6-33/8

Position: Defensive Tackle Weight: 321

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 5.12

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has great size and big frame with long arms...Very strong up top...Has a lot of experience...Can be unblockable at times and almost forces offenses to devote two men to him...Can play the run as well as get after the quarterback...Has a good burst and good closing speed...Does a good job shedding blocks...Solid, reliable tackler.

Weaknesses: Has an inconsistent motor and can disappear for stretches...Doesn't have elite speed and quickness...Needs to get stronger in his lower half...Needs to get in better shape to play longer stretches...Still relies on his natural talent too much.

Notes: Probably a better prospect than Wendell Bryant was coming out of college...Erasmus James stole some of his thunder as a senior, but Hawthorne is still one of the top defensive tackles in this draft.

- Scott Wright

http://www.ourlads.com/OurladsTop64.html

Based on Ourlads top 64, I believe TD is just trying to give himself more options.

There are 5 CB's ranked between #21-40. The future replacement for Clements perhaps ? Would one or more drop to #44, if we did move up 11 spots ?

DT Anttaj Hawthorne of Wisconson impressed Krumrie and the other coaches at his pro day. Huge,strong and could fill the roster spot of Pat Williams.

OL is the obvious crying need, even if the trade for Shelton is completed. Guards Elton Brown- Virginia, David Baas-Michigan and Chris Kemoeatu-Utah all have the size and talent to start immediately, as per most top scounting services. So does Claude Terrell of New Mexico, who could be there in the 3rd round.

If we keep our 2nd round pick where it is I think that this guy could be a good pick.

SIZE & SPEED

Ronald Bartell

Official Bio College: Howard Height: 6-11/4

Position: Cornerback Weight: 211

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.37

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Excellent size and speed...Great athlete who would make an impact at any big school...Has fluid hips...Physical and aggressive...Has some upside.

Weaknesses: Played against a low level of competition...Raw and has a lot to learn in terms of technique...Awareness leaves a lot to be desired...It will be a major jump in terms of the talent level and will need to show well at the postseason All-Star games.

Notes: Began his career at Central Michigan before transferring...Has everything the NFL is looking for physically and is one of the top sleepers in the draft.

- Scott Wright

According to the draft value chart the 44th pick is about 110 points more valuable then the 55th pick. This mean's TD is bascially requesting the equivilant of an early 4th round pick and Shelton for Henry. The way to even this out is to throw in our 5th or 6th rounder to make this deal. So the trade would be something like

Az. trades Shelton and its second round pick to Buffalo for Henry, the Bills round 2 pick and the Bills 6th rounder. The Bills still get significant extra value and the Cards get some return to even out giving up 11 spots in round 2.

As to what the Bills want--well they want flexibility. Having 11 more players available when they pick gives them this flexibility. The DL needs one more interior player to compete, particularly if Bannan is going to focus some on Offense--we need a rotational player to add to the top 3 (Adams, Edwards and Anderson--sorry Indy Dave--I know Sape should count...) and if we acquire Shelton, the Bills should look at interior OL talent.

I think the replacement for Clements is already on the roster....his name is Troy Vincent, who still can play corner well in 06 and 07 I believe. Rashad Baker will be ready to step in for Vincent after this year.

If we go away from the interior lines on O and D for the 2nd round pick I would look at WR, TE, RB as the priorities. Moulds will be cut after this year unless he redoes his deal again in the '05 offseason, a great TE gives JP an outlet and Willis' injury history still scares me...

i dont think asking arizona to swap 2nd round picks is alot top ask.its not like td is asking for a pick outright.shelton is signed for 3 more yrs and if travis dosnt work out for them they get to go another way and have no crazy contracts on their hands.if shelton dosnt work for us we r stuck with his contract.i wonder how much mcnally believes in him?seems he would of pushed mm and td to pull the trigger sooner if he thought he was all that.go bills in'05

According to the draft value chart the 44th pick is about 110 points more valuable then the 55th pick.  This mean's TD is bascially requesting the equivilant of an early 4th round pick and Shelton for Henry.  The way to even this out is to throw in our 5th or 6th rounder to make this deal.  So the trade would be something like

Az. trades Shelton and its second round pick to Buffalo for Henry, the Bills round 2 pick and the Bills 6th rounder.  The Bills still get significant extra value and the Cards get some return to even out giving up 11 spots in round 2.

As to what the Bills want--well they want flexibility.  Having 11 more players available when they pick gives them this flexibility.  The DL needs one more interior player to compete, particularly if Bannan is going to focus some on Offense--we need a rotational player to add to the top 3 (Adams, Edwards and Anderson--sorry Indy Dave--I know Sape should count...) and if we acquire Shelton, the Bills should look at interior OL talent. 

I think the replacement for Clements is already on the roster....his name is Troy Vincent, who still can play corner well in 06 and 07 I believe.  Rashad Baker will be ready to step in for Vincent after this year.

If we go away from the interior lines on O and D for the 2nd round pick I would look at WR, TE, RB as the priorities.  Moulds will be cut after this year unless he redoes his deal again in the '05 offseason, a great TE gives JP an outlet and Willis' injury history still scares me...

287358[/snapback]

Great post, Joe_F, I think this is exactly how it will shake out.

Maybe

Anttaj Hawthorne 

Official Bio College: Wisconsin  Height: 6-33/8

Position: Defensive Tackle Weight: 321 

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 5.12

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has great size and big frame with long arms...Very strong up top...Has a lot of experience...Can be unblockable at times and almost forces offenses to devote two men to him...Can play the run as well as get after the quarterback...Has a good burst and good closing speed...Does a good job shedding blocks...Solid, reliable tackler.

Weaknesses: Has an inconsistent motor and can disappear for stretches...Doesn't have elite speed and quickness...Needs to get stronger in his lower half...Needs to get in better shape to play longer stretches...Still relies on his natural talent too much.

Notes: Probably a better prospect than Wendell Bryant was coming out of college...Erasmus James stole some of his thunder as a senior, but Hawthorne is still one of the top defensive tackles in this draft.

- Scott Wright

287329[/snapback]

Hmmm...I've got a bad feeling about him for some reason. Dunno.

i dont think asking arizona to swap 2nd round picks is alot top ask.its not like td is asking for a pick outright.shelton is signed for 3 more yrs and if travis dosnt work out for them they get to go another way and have no crazy contracts on their hands.if shelton dosnt work for us we r stuck with his contract.i wonder how much mcnally believes in him?seems he would of pushed mm and td to pull the trigger sooner if he thought he was all that.go bills in'05

287380[/snapback]

Shelton's bonus will be on AZ's cap so the Bills could cut him at any time without penalty.

287380[/snapback]

why couldnt we just cut shelton if he sucked? his salaries arent guaranteed and any amortized bonus money he is owed would be a hit on the cards when he is traded.

Shelton's bonus will be on AZ's cap so the Bills could cut him at any time without penalty.

287474[/snapback]

ok i didnt realize that,i figured if we cut him we would take some sort of cap hit.i dont understand that part of the cap i guess.i always knew about signing bonuses,but i thought if you terminated a contract early you still took some sort of cap hit,thanks for "enlightening me" lol go bills in'05